A Doll's House, Part 2

foxy
This topic is 2488 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Highly recommended by a friend of mine who sees almost everything on and off Broadway I ordered tickets for later this week. Starring Laurie Metcalf who is so good in everything she does. I saw the production of Misery a few years ago. Bruce Willis was beyond awful and disgraced himself on stage. He needs to stay in Hollywood. But Metcalf was wonderful and did all the heavy lifting. Doll's House also stars Jane Houdyshell whose reputation is stellar. It should be a good evening in the theater. Wondering if anyone else here has seen this show?

Highly recommended by a friend of mine who sees almost everything on and off Broadway I ordered tickets for later this week. Starring Laurie Metcalf who is so good in everything she does. I saw the production of Misery a few years ago. Bruce Willis was beyond awful and disgraced himself on stage. He needs to stay in Hollywood. But Metcalf was wonderful and did all the heavy lifting. Doll's House also stars Jane Houdyshell whose reputation is stellar. It should be a good evening in the theater. Wondering if anyone else here has seen this show?

I read a review of it in the Chicago Tribune yesterday that was glowing. Chris Jones, our local critic, attends Broadway as well as Chicago productions. I'm fascinated by the premise: the return of Nora and the effect it has on her family, especially her now grown daughter. Metcalf is always wonderful. I have written about this before, but I saw her in a production of All My Sons at the Geffen Theatre in Los Angeles 10 to 12 years ago with Len Cariou and Neil Patrick Harris and she was unforgettable as the mother. I also saw her in Misery and left the theatre feeling that Bruce Willis should return his Equity card and that Metcalf should have won a Tony just for putting up with his awfulness.

Totally agree with you that Laurie Metcalf should have won a Tony for having to deal with Bruce Wiilis's terrible performance. Funny that I've always liked the guy in his tv shows and he's done some decent film work. I can't understand why he'd do a Broadway show and not try to perform. He obviously doesn't need the money. So why do it if you don't want to put in some effort? I guess I'd like to think most film actors would like to be recognized as "serious" actors and a stage performance might give that. But I'm sure Metcalf will do her usual great work

Read a synopsis of A Doll's House in case you don't remember the plot and then go see Part 2. Incredibly funny and also really thought provoking at the same time. 90 minutes of rapid, witty dialogue. All four actors were great but if you've never seen Laurie Metcalf live you owe it to yourself to see this production. She's just brilliant. One of our best stage actresses.

I saw Laurie Metcalfe and Nathan Lane in November a few years ago and was blown away by both of them. The play was a bit ludicrous in a bad way but the two of them were ludicrous in a brilliant way. I agree that she is one of our best stage actresses and so versatile - she goes from comedy to drama with complete ease. She can probably tap dance too!

• 2 months later...

Laurie Metcalf to Leave ‘A Doll’s House, Part 2’

By JOSHUA BARONE JULY 5, 2017

06dollshouse-item1-master768-v2.jpg

Laurie Metcalf, who won a Tony Award for her lead role in Lucas Hnath’s play “A Doll’s House, Part 2” on Broadway, will leave the show on July 23

Julie White, a Tony winner for “The Little Dog Laughed,” will take her place.

The production, which is directed by Sam Gold (“Fun Home”) and was nominated for eight Tonys, had been scheduled for a 16-week limited run that would close on July 23. It has since been extended through early 2018.

06dollshouse-item2-blog427.jpg

Also exiting the show are Chris Cooper and Condola Rashad; both received Tony nominations for their performances. Jayne Houdyshell (“The Humans”), who also got a Tony nod, will remain with the production.

Ms. White, who is stepping into the lead role of Nora Helmer, Henrik Ibsen’s famous heroine, earned her most recent Tony nomination for her performance as Tanya in “Airline Highway,” in 2015. Charles Isherwood, reviewing the play in The New York Times, called her performance “indelible.”

“Ms. White’s fearless, vanity-free performance shows both the character’s innate warmth and a sad awareness of the self-destructive impulses that have left Tanya without much hope of redemption,” he wrote.

Stephen McKinley Henderson, a Tony nominee for the 2010 revival of “Fences,” will replace Mr. Cooper in the role of Torvald, the husband Nora leaves at the end of “A Doll’s House.” And Erin Wilhelmi, who made her Broadway debut in 2016 in a revival of “The Crucible” directed by Ivo Van Hove, will play Emmy, Ms. Rashad’s character.

Follow Joshua Barone on Twitter: @joshbarone

A version of this article appears in print on July 6, 2017, on Page C3 of the New York edition with the headline: Laurie Metcalf to Leave ‘A Doll’s House, Part 2’. Order Reprints| Today's Paper|Subscribe

Continue reading the main story

Laurie Metcalf, who won a Tony Award for her lead role in Lucas Hnath’s play “A Doll’s House, Part 2” on Broadway, will leave the show on July 23. Julie White, a Tony winner for “The Little Dog Laughed,” will take her place.

The production, which is directed by Sam Gold (“Fun Home”) and was nominated for eight Tonys, had been scheduled for a 16-week limited run that would close on July 23. It has since been extended through early 2018.

• The production, which is directed by Sam Gold (“Fun Home”) and was nominated for eight Tonys, had been scheduled for a 16-week limited run that would close on July 23. It has since been extended through early 2018.

Photo
    06dollshouse-item2-blog427.jpg

Annaleigh Ashford, left, in the play “Sylvia” with Julie White, who will join the cast of “A Doll’s House, Part 2” this month.CreditSara Krulwich/The New York Times
    Also exiting the show are Chris Cooper and Condola Rashad; both received Tony nominations for their performances. Jayne Houdyshell (“The Humans”), who also got a Tony nod, will remain with the production.

Ms. White, who is stepping into the lead role of Nora Helmer, Henrik Ibsen’s famous heroine, earned her most recent Tony nomination for her performance as Tanya in “Airline Highway,” in 2015. Charles Isherwood, reviewing the play in The New York Times, called her performance “indelible.”

“Ms. White’s fearless, vanity-free performance shows both the character’s innate warmth and a sad awareness of the self-destructive impulses that have left Tanya without much hope of redemption,” he wrote.

Stephen McKinley Henderson, a Tony nominee for the 2010 revival of “Fences,” will replace Mr. Cooper in the role of Torvald, the husband Nora leaves at the end of “A Doll’s House.” And Erin Wilhelmi, who made her Broadway debut in 2016 in a revival of “The Crucible” directed by Ivo Van Hove, will play Emmy, Ms. Rashad’s character.

Archived