Is it just me, or sometimes the "massage" increases the pain than relieve it?

7829V
This topic is 2573 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've noticed that in several instances that when I get a massage, I end up feeling more pain the next day than I was feeling before the massage.

I was having some mild shoulder discomfort, nothing too big or that I should be worry about, and last weekend I received a massage... that it was very interactive / sensual... the next day, my shoulder was really bothering me. I am sure it was the massage.

I think some guys have no clue about massage techniques even though they claim to have YEARS of experience in various types of massages.

I better go to to a real MT pay half of what I pay for a sensual massage and make this pain go away.

I think some guys have no clue about massage techniques even though they claim to have YEARS of experience in various types of massages.

I better go to to a real MT pay half of what I pay for a sensual massage and make this pain go away.

I agree with you.

I went for a professional massage as recommended by my family doctor for back pain. The process increased the pain. I would rather have used an amateur.

Yeah, it increases the pain at the moment of the massage, but after a few days you feel great, I've had that experience with legit massages or sensual massages where the masseur is trained.

When I get a deep tissue massage from a guy who knows what he is doing, I am done for the rest of the day. Part of it, as @poolboy48220 said, is the release of toxins. Another big part is that muscles that don't get used much are being worked. That makes me feel tired, and I wake up the next morning a bit sore until I start moving around. The biggest part is that I usually start winding down a lot before a massage, even if it is in the morning. All in all, the effects of a good 90-minute massage last a lot longer than the actual time on the table.

On the other hand, if you hurt for a few days after the massage, the therapist probably did something wrong. Or maybe he wasn't really a therapist.

The massage could make you feel a bit sore as you would after a workout but it shouldn't be truly pain inducing. If your muscles aren't used to being worked like that you can experience soreness. When I first started getting deep tissue done by a therapist who was also an RN he suggested I take two Tylenol after the massage before bedtime. Worked great. People who aren't trained well in deep tissues go in too deep too fast and can bruise the muscles thus causing pain. The techniques of easing in to deep tissue work takes someone with good skills.

That a massage "releases toxins" that will be flushed away is pretty much accepted now as a marketing myth.

"Massage can benefit health in many ways. It can reduce heart rate, blood pressure and levels of stress hormone, enhance immune function, boost levels of endorphins and serotonin (the body’s natural painkillers and mood regulators) and increase blood circulation – all this while easing sore and achy muscles. Massage certainly can help address the build up of lactic acid in muscles, and promote the clearing of normal byproducts of muscle metabolism, but I know of no evidence suggesting that massage can remove toxins of any kind from the body."

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/balanced-living/wellness-therapies/eliminating-toxins-with-massage/

I'm usually have some soreness the next day, and since I would always make an evening appointment, the soreness may last into the beginning of the next day, but not often. However, my increased energy, and drop in blood pressure usually lasts for a few day, beyond the soreness.

Post massage pain may have to do with the masseur's skill, or his ability to "read" a patient. It also may have to do with the information you provide. I often used to end up with lower back pain after a massage. I tell my masseurs about that problem up front. Some will go easy on my lower back or ignore it entirely. One of my favorites has some different light techniques for the back, and he started incorporating a bit of targeted stretching -- both of which make my back feel better after a massage.

It's not rocket science. If there is pain while receiving the massage there is likely to be soreness the next day. I have never understood the draw of a deep tissue massage. I stick to Swedish with medium pressure and I tell him to ease up if there's any pain at all. I've got a great CMT, but he's a very strong man and I've had to tell him a couple times to lighten up.

I do get a stiff shoulder. When I ask him to work that area he does some targeted stretching and gentle work under the shoulder blade. There is no pain while he is doing it and no pain afterwards.

I never let a therapist use their elbow on me. A man should be plenty strong enough to get pressure without bruising you with his elbow!

Archived