PBS Victoria: On Demand?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 2632 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If you give some $$ to your local PBS station you can usually stream Masterpiece Theater broadcasts. It may differ from area to area. I see that there are other services if you do a search but I'm not familiar with them. Netflix will probably get Victoria at some point. It isn't as good as The Crown, I think, but still worth watching.

If you give some $$ to your local PBS station you can usually stream Masterpiece Theater broadcasts. It may differ from area to area. I see that there are other services if you do a search but I'm not familiar with them. Netflix will probably get Victoria at some point. It isn't as good as The Crown, I think, but still worth watching.

This series on PBS is based (as a starting point) on a novel of the early teenaged (just 18 when she became queen in 1837!) reign of Queen Victoria. The novel, written by Daisy Goodwin, ends just before her marriage to Prince Albert. In the Masterpiece Production of the first series (7 episodes) it continues on a bit after their marriage, up to the birth of her first child in 1840, (she had nine children!!!) a girl they name Victoria after the queen. Since all seven episodes were also written by Daisy Goodwin, they are consistently faithful to history in that the fictionalized sections do fit the historical facts. The only real criticism I've read is that the series tries too hard for an Upstairs/Downstairs or Downton Abbey subplot featuring the servants who are in Victoria's household. Having seen the entire first season, that really did not bother me and, in fact, often added a bit of exposition on various attitudes and customs of the time. In my opinion, both The Crown and Victoria are wonderful television and I am thrilled they both will receive second seasons.

PBS; Victoria and Albert from Masterpiece Theatre:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/victoria-s1-sizzle-icon-3200-X-1800-640x360.jpg

Jenna Coleman (Victoria) and Tom Hughes (Prince Albert)

http://jenna-coleman.org/gallery/albums/Public%20Apperances/2016/July%2028%20PBS%20Masterpiece%20Victoria%20panel%20discussion%20at%20the%202016%20Television%20Critics%20Association%20Summer%20Tour%20in%20Beverly%20Hills/normal_0005.jpg

TruHart1 :cool:

I've tried watching this several times and was bored to tears...too many words and not enough plot!

Peace,

Kipp

Then I suspect you will enjoy The Crown on Netflix even more, since it has three more episodes in its first season than Victoria! :rolleyes:

TruHart1 :cool:

Archived