The View Upstairs

Marlfox
This topic is 2626 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone seen this new gay themed musical playing at the Lynn Redgrave Theatre in NYC? I'd post a link to their website, but not sure how to do that on my iPad. If you Google it you'll get it.

I don't know if I'm encouraged to see it knowing it was "inspired by one of the most significant, but-all -but-ignored attacks against the LGBT community". Any advice would be appreciated.

I saw The View Upstairs Saturday evening and highly recommend it. I've also seen Significant Other and if I had to choose between the two, it would be this one.

It's the story of a modern 2017 gay man who buys a dilapidated building in New Orleans, which he intends to convert into the headquarters of his struggling fashion business. By unexplained means he is transported back to the building in 1973. Turns out that it housed a gay bar then and he meets the regulars who frequented the bar.

The action then resolves around how gay life was like back then and what it is like now. Without going into details, it's clear that there were a lot of things wrong then, but despite the many improvements, we may have lost some of the good things that the folks back then had going for them.

There are numerous songs, which to my ear were pleasing and which furthered the plot. The cast was uniformly excellent and received a standing ovation at the end. It was fairly full the night I went, so if you're in New York and are interested, you get a ticket asap.

Archived