Star Trek Heads to Space Dock

Boston Guy
This topic is 7035 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just saw the Frasier episode where he co-worker is angry with him, so instead of teaching Frasier to speak Hebrew at his son's bar mitzvah, he teaches him Klingon !!! Frasier gets up in the temple and recites an entire blessing in Klingon...a kid in the back says, "Thats not Hebrew...its Klingon!!!"

Fucken sweet!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tristan

I know that this thread started out with Enterprise as the topic. But it's hard to discuss Enterprise without comparing it to the other ST series and other sci-fi programming, particularly for sci-fi enthusiasts. And posters seem to be very interested in doing just that. However, none of us want to hijack the thread, if the author prefers that we stick to Enterprise. So if the author objects, I'll certainly cease fire.

The new Battlestar Galactica is very different from the original. It's much darker and eerie. The xylons in the original were more like comic book robots, and there were no xylon human clones. The same battle scenes were repeated over and over again. However, the characters were better in the original. Starbuck was a guy, though I suppose a female Starbuck may be politically correct.

As for the Star Trek TV series, I have seen every episode of each of the first four: Star Trek: Original, TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I have seem most of the Enterprise series. I agree with a lot of the positive comments made about DS9, but I still like TNG (especially Data) and Voyager better. I liked Captain Janeway in Voyager and the idea of a female captain, but I especially liked the Borg Queen.

[b/]For all you Sci-Fi buffs, you can't beat the Friday night Sci-Fi lineup. Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis (spin off from Stargate), and Battlestar Galactica are shown from 8:00 PM (EST) through 11:00 PM. A fun evening of TV if you have nothing better to do.[/b]

If you have read this post, "You will be assimilated." "We are the Borg." :)

>I know that this thread started out with Enterprise as the

>topic. But it's hard to discuss Enterprise without comparing

>it to the other ST series and other sci-fi programming,

>particularly for sci-fi enthusiasts. And posters seem to be

>very interested in doing just that. However, none of us want

>to hijack the thread, if the author prefers that we stick to

>Enterprise. So if the author objects, I'll certainly cease

>fire.

>

Tristan: Ah, hell, I don't care. :-) Hijack away! But yours might have been one of politest posts I've seen here in a long time. ;) And, as you state above, it's hard discussing Enterprise without also including the others.

I had high hopes for Enterprise but have found it to be my least favorite of all. I think -- but am not sure -- that's because of the never-ending stories that just got terribly boring. I know the people behind ST thought that was one of the things that brought fans to Enterprise, but I also know that it turned off a lot of my friends. It was like watching the same old boring story every time you turned it on, almost like new episodes were already reruns. I mean, why bother watching it when you know ahead of time what is going to happen?

For me, the original series will always have a place in my heart, like the original Star Wars movie: it was new and different and seemed exciting. But I probably liked TNG the best and think it had some of the best effects of all, as well as some of the most interesting characters and plots.

Many of my friends liked DS9 better, for reasons similar to what Woodlawn has already described. I liked it, too, but liked TNG better. Similarly, I liked Voyager a lot but it seemed eventually to be too much of the same story. For me, TNG was the best.

BG

Guest showme43

granted not the best of all the series but I still enjoyed it and will for sure have Star Trek withdrawl once it goes off air.

Personally.. When I saw "Scott Bakula" was the New Honcho, that this Series was on the Last or Next to Last Voyage! The Guy is not a good actor.. "Stargate SG-1" has become over the Seasons a much Better Production..As Richard Dean Anderson has totally taken his Character on..BUT THE BEST Sci-Fi will always be "FARSCAPE".. BUT at least it went out on top! :+ :+ :+

Yeah JT,

What the fuck was up with casting Bakula !!!!!

When I was a kid, I remember watching some show with him going back and forth through time, trying to right historical dilemnas. It was pretty cool back then.

Farscape was cool...I liked that blue bitch

Bakula might not be the best actor, but he sure looks great in tight underwear!

I was unimpressed with ENTERPRISE but I only really saw it first season. First season is not a good way to judge a series because the actors haven't "grown into" their characters.

I can say the same for Mary Tyler Moore or MASH. First season was pretty bland, but by second season the actors started growing into their characters.

Of course, none of those actors looked as good as Scott Bakula in tight underwear. :p

There's never been a better Captain than Picard. I saw the actor in Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL on Broadway shortly after the Cardassian confrontation. It was all I could do not to yell out "HOW MANY LIGHTS ARE THERE?" }(

For those of you who are not watching the game :

Stargate SG-1

UPN 9 Feb 06 06:00pm Add to My Calendar

Series/Sci-Fi/Fantasy, 60 Mins.

"Fragile Balance", Episode #701.

O'Neill regresses several decades and becomes his teenage self.

Star Trek: Enterprise

UPN 9 Feb 06 07:00pm Add to My Calendar

Series/Sci-Fi/Fantasy, 60 Mins.

"United"

Trapped on a remote-controlled Romulan ship, Trip and Malcolm must outwit their captors to escape.

Cast: Scott Bakula, Connor Trinneer, Jolene Blalock, Dominic Keating,

Well this is interesting. I'm not terribly suprised by the cancellation of Enterprise. It was long overdue. This was a show that started with a rating of over 14 and now in the current and now final season, the show averages barely over 4 in the Nielson Ratings. It's fairly understandable as to why Les Moonves decided to cancel the show. I always felt the show was on life support, sooner or later someone in the higher ups at CBS/UPN had to take the show off it's respirator, knock it on the head and call it a day. It's about ratings which equal dollars and cents in ad revenue.

It's sort of funny every Star Trek show became less successful than it's predecessor. When all is said and done in the now, credit really goes to Executive Producer Rick Berman and Michael Pillar for carrying on the franchise and keeping Gene Roddenberry's name very much alive in Star Trek lore. On the other side of the equation, Paramount with the help of Mr Berman milked this cash cow to a point of oblivion. Now they're paying for it. They've seen the results and it's hard for them to swallow. I think it'll be at least minimum three years before Paramount decides to take a look and see if the public has any interest in a new Star Trek show. If Star Trek ever does come back to the small screen, it'll have to be under a new set of circumstances. A brand new production team will have to be brought in. If anything I think Paramount will for the time being concentrate on making an eleventh Star Trek Motion Picture. Even in this situation, considering the financial disappointment of Nemesis at the box office. Again Paramount doesn't know where this franchise is going. The chances of another feature film involving TNG seems to be remote. There is even talk of utilising a script that former Executive Producer Harve Bennett of the first Star Trek films wrote back in 1990.

At the end of the day Paramount Pictures and Viacom have to ask themselves, with 10 Star Trek films and five Star Trek television series under it's belt. What is left for them to accomplish. They're somewhere caught between the successes of the past and the geniune disinterest in the present. They've had a good 40 year run with the franchise. Maybe it is a good idea for a break and revisit this whole saga in a few years from now and approach this from a fresh perspective. Sometimes change is good, it creates a new momentum down the road. That is what this whole franchise needs right now.

Rohale

"Well this is interesting. I'm not terribly suprised by the cancellation of Enterprise. It was long overdue."

Blasphemer !!!!! I would say good day to you sir !!!

"...Executive Producer Rick Berman and Michael Pillar for carrying on the franchise and keeping Gene Roddenberry's name very much alive in Star Trek lore."

Didnt other TV shows come out based on GR stuff ? Andromeda I think, and that stupid show with the glowing head aliens who were trying to take over Earth...they tried to trick the government in the thinking they were friendly...what the fuck was the name of that show !!!!!

Earth something or other...

Berman and Braga ran ST into the ground.

Earth: Final Conflict was a fascinating setup but a rather boring execution, Andromeda had some interesting moments but got less and less interesting as it got more commercial.

But that points out, in a time when Science Fiction is flourishing on TV like never before, it'd take a team of idiots to not be able to find success with Sci-Fi's flagship franchise. So take a bow, Rick Berman and Brandon Braga...

I think the key to their failure is writing. Nothing original, nothing compelling, few stories that ran over time (though I'm sure they now think that 'story arcs' killed Enterprise). How many fucking episodes were driven by technobable?. No care about continuity, little care about character development...

I loved ST:Next Gen and was OK with DS9, but once I saw what Sci-Fi could be with Babylon 5 I couldn't stomach shit like Voyager or Enterprise any more.

Stargate is great, Farscape was pretty damn good if you have a sense of humor, Battlestar Galactica... a lot of potential but very overwrought and uneven so far, Firefly was amazing (any Sci-Fi fan NEEDS to buy the DVD set, it's quite a bargain and you'll be amazed at what you missed if you only saw a couple episodes on TV). Startgate Atlantis...

Let me just say the next person to pitch a show where a ship/etc is thrown out of it's existing 'universe' and is all alone *outside* of a great existing mythology should be shot. Between Voyager, Crusade, Enterprise, and Atlantis (plus others, I'm sure) I think we've had enough... VFX are cheap now, I want to see *fleet* actions again (and not just crappy fighter fights again and again which is all Battlestar has set itself up to be able to do...).

It's not likely to have massive space battles, but I can't wait for Serenity! I'm hoping they prove once and for all that good writing and characters can make a great Sci-Fi movie regardless of budget.

RE: Berman and Braga ran ST into the ground.

Serenity, AKA Joss Whedon's Serenity is the feature film made after sales of the canceled Firefly TV show on DVD went through the fucking roof.

Seriously, if you never saw it, or only saw the bits the idiots at Fox let slip onto the airwaves as they were hell-bent on killing it, buy it! You're in for some damn good Sci-Fi storytelling and I envy you seeing it for the first time!

The series:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000AQS0F/qid=1107930486/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9837367-9735962?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

--1212 customer reviews?!?

The Website:

http://www.serenitymovie.com/

To see the ravings (and probably far more spoilers then I want to see) simply go to http://www.aintitcool.com and search for Serenity. Or just wait to see it in September or so...

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, my previous comments notwithstanding, I thought tonight's episode was very clever, in that it managed to solve a problem that tied other Star Trek series to each other in an awkward manner.

The problem I'm referring to is why the Klingons in Next Generation and all of the series after it looked so very much different than the Klingons in the original Star Trek. In the original series, the Klingons looked quite a lot like humans. In later series, they were far more alien and imposing, with especially marked facial features.

Tonight's episode provided a very, very neat and clever answer to the entire riddle, thereby answering a question that is, in one way or another, close to 40 years old.

Kudos to the writers! :-)

BG

>BG,

>

>You need a date!

LOL... Thanks, I think. :-)

Actually, I'm stuck in a little town in middle America until I fly home tomorrow and the most exciting thing to do tonight in this little town is watch TV in my hotel room and surf the Net. Thank God for the Internet!

BG

>Actually, I'm stuck in a little town in middle America until I fly home tomorrow and the most exciting thing to do tonight in this little town is watch TV in my hotel room and surf the Net. Thank God for the Internet!<

BG,

Im in my house in NY and I have no desire to do anything (including go to the Gaiety) except watch all the "Taken" series videos...I love TV...I love it so much, Im gonna marry it and no fucken government will stop me !!!

Archived