An old school gay bar experience!!!!

Michael Wayne
This topic is 2735 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Punta! Targeting Summer 2017 (US winter) if the building and construction gods play in my favor!

Summer of 2017 in the southern hemisphere is ambiguous, are you planning on January-ish or December-ish in 2017?

I'm not sure why, but Australians tend not to say they are going to do something using the season as the reference, we're more likely to use the month. The exception is for things where the season is relevant to the thing we're about to do (so, gardening, sport or a holiday). Maybe it's because if we say 'next summer' it means December not July, and we're aware that we're different from most of the English speaking world, and we want to avoid that ambiguity.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Mike, I avoid seasons as references. "Winter 2016" could mean January 2016 or December 2016 to me. Ditto for midnight - I worked on a promotion that ended "midnight July 17" or something like that, and the confusion of whether that was early in the day on July 17, or very late, went on & on. Turns out the promotions company we were working with was apparently well acquainted with that particular potention for confusion, because when we checked the official rules, the promotion ended 11:59PM on July 17.

Summer of 2017 in the southern hemisphere is ambiguous, are you planning on January-ish or December-ish in 2017?

Short answer: I'm hoping for December 2017

I'm not sure why, but Australians tend not to say they are going to do something using the season as the reference, we're more likely to use the month. The exception is for things where the season is relevant to the thing we're about to do (so, gardening, sport or a holiday). Maybe it's because if we say 'next summer' it means December not July, and we're aware that we're different from most of the English speaking world, and we want to avoid that ambiguity.

Long answer: The name of my bar will be La Experiencia - The Experience. The booze, the food, the view, the service, the art, the environment will all -hopefully- be conducive for patrons to just be in the moment. And to be able to build this dream, I have to embrace my Latin roots again, Mike. That will include my view of time.

As you probably know, folks across the globe look at time and deadlines differently. When I'm on my US work clock, I drive my life by schedules, deadlines, milestones. I work for Time. However, I purposely decided to build my bar in a different country with a different view of time bc I needed to make Time work for me .

I was describing my dream to my project manager, architect, and builder -all Native Uruguayans. They helped me embrace the fact that I've been dreaming about this for years and that the act of building this bar was, in and of itself, part of the dream. They signed on to a timeline, we have check-ins, etc. however, I've come to the realization that I have to savor every step, decision and that time (whether the bar opens December or January or whatever) is much less important.

What matters is La Experiencia.

Not a gay bar, but while visiting a friend who'd relocated to Arizona, we went to a bar called "The Monastery". It was in a bit of a run-down neighborhood, but like a little oasis. Mostly outdoors, grass and trees with picnic tables, big trees, volleyball courts and a high privacy fence. They'd sell you a burger or chicken breast that you cooked yourself on their barbecues. Sitting there with a bunch of friends with a few pitchers of beer going, one friend said "This is where beers go to die".

Sadly, I heard that it closed a while back.

Archived