See Any Good Shows Lately?

RyanDean
This topic is 2720 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just another attempt to build a thread that can capture current recommendations in an ongoing way...

In the last few weeks, I...

Loved

Vietgone

Duat

Liked

Falsettos (a lot)

Sagittarius Ponderosa

Had mixed feelings about

Natasha and Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812

Sell/Buy/Date

Sorta hated

The Front Page

The Encounter

Ryan, I agree with you mostly on Falsettos. I have always liked act 1 more than act 2, this production did not convince me I am wrong.

I am seeing The Great Comet next weekend. I love Tolstoy's "War and Peace," so have great hopes. Why did you have mixed feelings, perhaps I should lower my expectations.

I saw Falsettos last Saturday. Loved the cast. Hated the set (the ugly gray modular quasi-furniture in particular). Thought Lapine (and choreographer Liff) did their best when it seemed they trusted the actors, stayed out of their way, and just let them express themselves (i.e. I thought things often got too busy, especially when dealing with rolling around those ugly gray set pieces). Two of the most problematic numbers were the opening "Four Jews In A Room Bitching" (what the hell was with those cartoonish "biblical times" costumes - and why??) and the Act I title song, "March Of The Falsettos" (again with another set of looney costumes lol - and no real solution as to what this song really means or ultimately what its purpose is in the arc of the show).

It seems to me that Finn has reworked the score yet again, especially with new lyric changes (beyond the many he already made for the former Broadway production). One major musical addition - a new duet section for Trina and Mendel near the end of the "Cancelling The Bar Mitzvah" scene - was a touching and welcome new moment. Only one lyric change that I felt didn't work, which was changing "I wanna see the bald spot" to "I wanna see the hairline." Hearing someone sing "bald spot" is funny - "hairline" just falls flat. (It's not just the tone of the jab, it's the cadence of the words themselves.) I think we could have imagined that Rannells had a small bald spot, even if he doesn't really. Oh, well.

Having lived with that original recording of March Of The Falsettos ever since my freshman year in college (shortly after it was released), it's virtually impossible for me to really think of anyone but Michael Rupert as Marvin, of Stephen Bogardus as Whizzer, of Alison Fraser as Trina, and Chip Zien (himself a former Marvin) as Mendel. But this cast did their very best to convincingly erase those memories for a few hours at least.

The final duet, which is admittedly way way way too emotionally close for me to ever listen to objectively, had me in tears as I could have predicted - but the final image of the show (something Jason does which I won't give away for anyone who hasn't yet seen the production) caught me off guard and crying all over again. Bravo.

Glad I saw it.

@Robster - you two are in for a treat. I found Criss surprisingly effective in the role. When I saw him, his singing of the role was stunning and, though his performance as Hedwig wasn't as dynamic as - say - NPH's, his turn in the final section (as "Tommy Gnosis") was stunning. And I say that not because he was only wearing teeny tiny sparkly underpants -- oh well, not JUST because he was only wearing teeny tiny sparkly underpants...

Just another attempt to build a thread that can capture current recommendations in an ongoing way...

In the last few weeks, I...

Loved

Vietgone

Duat

Liked

Falsettos (a lot)

Sagittarius Ponderosa

Had mixed feelings about

Natasha and Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812

Sell/Buy/Date

Sorta hated

The Front Page

The Encounter

I'll be in NYC from Feb 10-12, 2017. Saw that Glenn Close will be opening in a revival of Sunset Boulevard. Tickets are available. Is that my best bet for that weekend, or does someone have another suggestion. I haven't been to NYC in several years, so I'm open to any suggestions.

As mentioned in the recent thread about standing ovations, I saw Holiday Inn in NYC recently. I give it a 10 for the wonderful Irving Berlin music, 8 for the polished and energetic performances, but a 3 for the book which was flat and uninvolving. This is more a "then I wrote" tribute to the genius of Berlin than a Broadway Musical for the 21st Century. Great costumes, boring scenery, the kids will love it. It will do great through New Year's, but will be really odd in January.

Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard is near legendary. Time passes, and we all wear down, but she is a great star and will likely triumph. This would be my choice, too. Wish she had been playing 2 weeks ago!

As mentioned in the recent thread about standing ovations, I saw Holiday Inn in NYC recently. I give it a 10 for the wonderful Irving Berlin music, 8 for the polished and energetic performances, but a 3 for the book which was flat and uninvolving. This is more a "then I wrote" tribute to the genius of Berlin than a Broadway Musical for the 21st Century. Great costumes, boring scenery, the kids will love it. It will do great through New Year's, but will be really odd in January.

Just curious - you truly think this is a show that "the kids" will identify with, more than (dare I say it) the "blue hairs" lol? Believe me, I'm all for introducing the undisputed genius of Irving Berlin to a new young generation, but I somehow tend to think this show would be more of a draw for the people who have some nostalgia for the iconic film, and/or for that era of songwriting. from your comments (which is quite similar to other commentary and reviews I've read), I wonder if a show this pallid and by-the-numbers would have enough in it to engage a younger audience.

I saw Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard at the Shubert Theater in L.A. back in 1993. She is an excellent actress in the role of Norma Desmond, but was rather weak vocally. You could literally hear the speakers in the Theater hiss as the sound man cranked up the volume every time she prepared to sing. Do not expect a powerful vocal performance in the manner of Elaine Paige, LuPone, or Betty Buckley. The show had opened in London and L.A. Prior to the New York run (LuPone in London, Close in L.A.). LuPone was supposed to open the New York run, but in the end Close opened in New York. I think LuPone sued the producers for breach of contract. I wonder after 23 years if her voice has improved.

As an aside, the matinee I attended was also attended by Meryl Streep, and Carrie Fisher who sat directly behind me.

Just curious - you truly think this is a show that "the kids" will identify with, more than (dare I say it) the "blue hairs" lol? Believe me, I'm all for introducing the undisputed genius of Irving Berlin to a new young generation, but I somehow tend to think this show would be more of a draw for the people who have some nostalgia for the iconic film, and/or for that era of songwriting. from your comments (which is quite similar to other commentary and reviews I've read), I wonder if a show this pallid and by-the-numbers would have enough in it to engage a younger audience.

Good point. I should have said, "It's suitable for the kids and by kids, I mean 7 to maybe 11 year olds out for a holiday treat with bluehaired gramma, not preteens and up. It has lots of flashy dance numbers, sparkling costumes and ENERGY! It's in a beautiful theater and the story, such as it is, is easy to follow with plenty of corny humor. No worries about nudity, profanity or sex. A good first theater experience for a child.

Have tickets next Saturday in SLC for Beautiful. Has anyone seen it and can provide info?

I saw Beautiful on Broadway in 2014. Jessie Mueller had the lead role as Carole. She was outstanding! Before attending, I was not really aware of Carole’s life story. I loved the music and storyline. However, they left out the part of her friendship with James Taylor. It is still one of my favorite shows probably because I grew up with so many of her songs.

I saw Beautiful on Broadway in 2014. Jessie Mueller had the lead role as Carole. She was outstanding! Before attending, I was not really aware of Carole’s life story. I loved the music and storyline. However, they left out the part of her friendship with James Taylor. It is still one of my favorite shows probably because I grew up with so many of her songs.

Thanks s0 much for the response. Not really familiar with her music or the storyline. Could be an interesting play in a brand new theater.

FYI, because of the crazy liquor laws in Utah, this venue not has a Zion Curtain but a Zion Ceiling. In Utah it is law that liquor has to be mixed behind a physical barrier so that kids don't see drinks being made. But, it was discovered that the making of drinks could be seen from the upper floors. So the state requires this venue to have a ceiling barrier also. Go figure. Anxious to see the new venue. Seats are on the 4th row.

I bought a ticket for "Holiday Inn" in advance. Irving Berlin and Bryce Pinkham; what a pair! The Berlin music is, of course, wonderful, and there are two outstanding dance numbers. Bryce Pinkham was totally wasted in this role;

not his fault, but he's not asked to do anything. The book, as noted in an earlier post, is an embarrassment. I agree that this musical is for children, as they are the ones who probably don't know Irving Berlin's music. I'd much rather have seen a Berlin movie, such as "Top Hat," than have wasted my time and money on this mediocrity, even though it was watchable. I wasn't looking at my watch, but I was relieved when it ended.

I've always had a good experience with the St. Bart's players. Yes, they're amateurs, but they're good! I saw them perform "Company!" in the past, and they did it well. Of course, this will be a different cast. Go for it!

Well said, @beethoven! Pinkham's part could have been played by any one. I'm not familiar with his work so didn't realize he is capable of more. The two ladies I saw the show with were most impressed with the actresses' shoes. You know Fred Astaire was not known as a singer, but I bought a Berlin anthology and noted that the vocal range of his songs is challenging and Fred handled it easily, without dramatics. It gives me even more respect for him as s great musical star. Berlin, Astaire and Rogers. What a sublime collaboration.

PS i, too, was glad they skipped Flag Day and Arbor Day at Jim's Holiday Inn.

Berlin, Astaire and Rogers. What a sublime collaboration.

And some fun trivia facts:

In the song "You're The Top" from Anything Goes, Cole Porter uses "a Berlin ballad" as an example of one of the "top" things in life. The song also notes "the nimble tread of the feet of Fred Astaire."

In the new musical arrangements done for the 1987 revival of Anything Goes (the Patti Lupone revival), this lyric leads to an added orchestral quote from the bridge of the song "Top Hat, White Tie And Tails" first made famous, of course, by Fred Astaire in the film Top Hat (which also starred Ginger Rogers, though she wasn't in that song). And of course, who wrote that song? Irving Berlin (even though it's not a ballad, lol).

Ira Gershwin also paid a canny tribute to Berlin, in the opening verse to "They Can't Take That Away From Me" - in the lyric "The song is ended, but as the songwriter wrote, / The melody lingers on." The reference is to a Berlin song titled "The Song Is Ended (But The Melody Lingers On)." (It's also fun that Gershwin chose to say "THE songwriter" as opposed to "a songwriter.") And - that song was first featured in the film Shall We Dance, sung by Astaire, to Rogers.

Well said, @beethoven! Pinkham's part could have been played by any one. I'm not familiar with his work so didn't realize he is capable of more. The two ladies I saw the show with were most impressed with the actresses' shoes. You know Fred Astaire was not known as a singer, but I bought a Berlin anthology and noted that the vocal range of his songs is challenging and Fred handled it easily, without dramatics. It gives me even more respect for him as s great musical star. Berlin, Astaire and Rogers. What a sublime collaboration.

PS i, too, was glad they skipped Flag Day and Arbor Day at Jim's Holiday Inn.

Berlin had worked with, and written songs for many great singers, but when asked in an interview, who he would prefer to have introduce a new song, he replied without hesitation, Fred Astaire.

Wow - I was totally blown away by this musical. It was fantastic and I didn't realize all the songs Carole had written for others. I was only familiar with her self-performed songs. Didn't realize the extent of her portfolio. The staging was fantastic. This is a show you don't want to miss.

If you're headed to London-town, don't miss Roald Dahl's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' It's directed by Sam Mendes of Bond 'Spectre' and 'American Beauty' fame. The set is stunning, the cast is terrific and the familiar storyline is well executed; many fast-paced, droll moments, but very touching at the end. When I saw the show at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane last month, I went to the box office the day of the performance and purchased a seat in the stalls (orchestra) for 25 pounds--the ticket agent actually upgraded me from a back balcony to a seat 8 rows from the stage!!! Also, Cote Bistro is a stone's throw away from the Theatre Royal--I had a great pre-theatre dinner (3 courses) for 18 pounds. London is a great theatre destination these days. It's a great destination period. I plan to go back in March and catch 'Beautiful' at the Aldwych.

Now if only I could get tickets to 'HP and the Cursed Child' at the Palace...

As mentioned in the recent thread about standing ovations, I saw Holiday Inn in NYC recently. I give it a 10 for the wonderful Irving Berlin music, 8 for the polished and energetic performances

I saw their performance on the Macy's Parade telecast this morning. I have to confess it was all a little TOO polished and gee-golly-shucks energizer bunny for me. Just kinda cheesy, I thought. Berlin deserves better.

Archived