Dilbert alert!

Vincent_Michael
This topic is 7057 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have noticed with much shock and awe that most people don’t understand Dilbert comics…I don’t honestly understand it. Yes I am a total dork and I am proud of it damn it! I sit here and have to resist tearing off 20 days at a time to see my next Dilbert calendar comic…Just a little ranting today.

“Here’s your stupid suggestion in my hand! I’m crushing it! Crush. Crush. Crush!!!”

Comics

>I have noticed with much shock and awe that most people don’t

>understand Dilbert comics…I don’t honestly understand it. Yes

Believe it or not, when Dilbert first started, it was actually funny. Knee-slappingly, laugh-out-loud funny. Absolutely hilarious! Shortly after Scott Adams stopped working for Pacific Bell and moved over to drawing the strip full time, the strip began to change. Dilbert does still have its moments. Catbert is a personal favorite of mine.

But, I don't go out of my way to read Dilbert like I once did. What I miss is Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side.

--EBG

Anyone who's ever worked in a corporate or government environment completely gets Dilbert.

We hired one of my team members right out of college. This is the only job she's ever had and she COMPLETLELY doesn't get Dilbert. (Which says a lot about the company and the owners!)

>Anyone who's ever worked in a corporate or government

>environment completely gets Dilbert.

I work for a large international corporation which the Chicago Tribune has noted "is full of (ahem) large egos" and is know for it's "special" corporate culture. I really love the place and I've been there over twenty years. Needless to say, I completely understand Dilbert.

Anyone who's ever heard a peer ask for something to be done simply for the reason that it will make him feel powerful to cause something to happen that's pretty much needless probably works in a major corporation. I once had a senior VP have a group of assistant account executives to report exactly how much work their assigned project had done for the year. They immediately ran down to our department to see if we had kept track of this. It was the day before the Christmas holidays and we knew the reports on this weren't due for several weeks. He was just making them crazy (and us, by extension) just so he could feel more powerful and they would "respect" him more. We gave them quick estimated figures, made sure they were labeled as such and then proceeded to turn in the real numbers just before they were really due. That man could be the pointy-hair boss! :+

If you want cartoons, then stick with the Saturday AM offerings, which I often do.

If you want political cartoons, then search the net for the enormous amount of cartoons that plagued America, during 1800 - 1900. Some of them were absolutely engaging and really give us now, in 2005, a run for our money.

If you want business cartoons, you can stick with Dilbet. BUT, at some point, Dilbert becomes a bit "over the edge." In my opinion, he does nothing for showing us what "should have, could have, would have" BEEN in corporate America.

Doesn't take a genius to understand why Dilbert is relevant; DOES, however take a gennius to tell us why we shouldn't care.

hd NYC

Guest bibud4him

I used to work in a call center at a major corporation (the blue box - hint, hint). It was definitely an eye-opening experience worthy of Dilbert - the company was horrible. Scott Adams uses a lot of ideas sent in by readers, based on their experiences at work. Many of us faithfully read Dilbert, and we noticed an ongoing storyline that mirrored some new idiotic policies and procedures at our company. It was hysterical, and obviously we were the inspiration. Shortly afterward, management BANNED all Dilbert comics from our office. However, we found discreet places to post and still kept our page-a-day calendars, though discreetly hidden.

> management BANNED all Dilbert comics from

>our office.

That's definately Dilbert-worthy--a company which recognizes itself being caricatured in a cartoon. Then, instead of fixing the issues that are open to ridicule, they ban the cartoon that points out the issue.

I agree that Dilbert does nothing in the way of telling us how to solve our issues at work however I do feel overwhelmed with the humor at times...because of the lack of caring that the corporate environment has for its employees and I think Dilbert catches that perfectly.

Also I have not read the Far Side though I am a huge fan of The Simpson’s and The Family Guy

Guest bibud4him

OMG - Get Fuzzy is my favorite. The work of a genius. That's another one a lot of people don't "get" - unless you're a pet owner. If you are, you know how true to life the dynamics are!

I love the Simpsons and Family Guy and DILBERT !!!!!

My favorite Dilberts are when he is in hell requisitioning something from the HR demons !!!!

I never ever understood the old Doonesberry cartoons...politically I am very ignorant...a damn shame since Ive taking a good deal of classes on social policy...very very sad:(

RE: Comics

The earliest Dilberts were more about life in general, less about office life. I wonder if EastBayGuy preferred these to the later office-focused ones.

and just so I can brag for a moment: I sent Adams a fan letter back in his earliest days. He sent me back a very short note on a 3x5 card, with an original drawing of Dogbert attached - ON A POST-IT! Maybe I should auction it off the way Matt in Vancouver did?

RE: Comics

>The earliest Dilberts were more about life in general, less

>about office life. I wonder if EastBayGuy preferred these to

>the later office-focused ones.

I think part of the problem with me and Dilbert may be that some of the situations are a little to close to home. Also, the earlier Dilberts had more unexpected humor in them. While more about life in general, they were also about humor in entirely unexpected places.

--EBG

Archived