Technical question about Mac

Steven_Draker
This topic is 7079 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tampa Yankee

Semi-informed speculation

... some might say half-assed. :p (Hope you are familiar with this American English idiom. :D )

I suspect that you need to find the OSX Sarfari browser preferences dialog box and then go into the advanced preferece settings and reset page update to 'everytime'. This is just a hunch based on experience with other browsers. I remain in the stoneage with Mac OS9.x :( It has to be somewhere in the preference settings. I'll bet Marc Anthony's ass on it!! :p

As a primer for the preferences dialog box look at:

http://www.techstoolkit.co.uk/MacSafari/

Unfortuantely it bails out at the advanced settings but it walks you the front door.

For the Mac, user friendly means guessing friendly. Let's hope so for OSX. :)

Guest Tampa Yankee

>IE is included as well.

>Neither statement makes OSX a browser.

True but it was pretty obvious to someone with a little Mac knowledge what was meant.

>Recently, I switched from PC to Mac. The browser of my laptop

>Mac doesn't reload the revisited pages automatically. I have

>to hit the reload button each time. Does anybody have a clue

>about this problem ? I thought Mac were user friendlier.

>

If the BROWSER you are using is Internet explorer, then go to the pull-down menu "EXPLORER" on the left side next to the apple and go down to PREFERENCES--dialog box opens -- open "ADVANCED" and therein you have choices re updating cache--this same location also lets you clear the cache and history if others use the computer and you don't want snoopers to know where you've been.

If you have the SAFARI Browser, which I think is much superior to I.E., I haven't been able to find where I can make it auto-reload either--however it is so easy to reload on command by clicking the curved arrow next to the bi-directional arrows on the top left of menu I've never worried about it. But now you got me curious--if I find it I'll let you know.

Guest Tampa Yankee

>Thanks Flower and Tampa,

>I was referring to Safari. I found annoying to hit each time

>the "curved arrow" as you mentioned Flower, and couldn't find

>the function Tampa was talking about.

>

>Steven Draker ~

>http://www.rentboy.com/location/getrb.asp?rentboy=32831&Location=229

> I found annoying to hit each time the "curved arrow"

>as you mentioned Flower, and couldn't find

>the function Tampa was talking about.

Arghhh... sorry about that Steven. ;( I too would find it unacceptably annoying. I was sure there had to be a way to set that option but Flower has shaken my optimism. Can't believe that Apple wouldn't provide that capability. (Still don't really although I can believe that it may be hidden -- Apple engineers are famous for hiding all sorts of goodies for the chosen few.)

Consider Mozilla's FireFox as an alternative Browser. It has received a lot of great press.

http://www.mozilla.org/

oooops Marc Anthony... if it turns out that I overextended you remember that virginity is 99% a state of mind. That is how so many virgins are reborn upon waking in the morning. :p

Guest JustStarting

If you use Safari, the function I think you're looking for is called "snapback." When you first open a window or a new tab, the first url you go to is, by default, the snapback--if you click on a hyperlink from that page, you'll see a little curved orange arrow appear in the address box of the linked page--click on that curved arrow and you'll "snapback" to the originating page.

If, while browsing, you want to make a different page be the snapback page for that window (or tab)--under the history menu, select "Mark Page for Snapback"

Snap Back

Steven, what I think you want to do is the "advanced function" under the "web browser" preferences in Internet Explorer.

I find, for the most part, that Safari does update. When I am, for example, looking at sporting events on line, the score seems to run without my having to go the "reload" button, which is the arrow that everyone is referring to.

However, I am not certain that I or anyone else on here is really answering your question. If you want your cache to update automatically, that is one thing. If you want to revisit web sites or web pages, and make sure that you are viewing the most up to date version, simply book mark them, but I am sure you know that.

There is no way that I know of or could determine for a user to set a setting in Safari to update the cache automatically during a browser session. However this is not to say that there is not an "end run" around this if this is absolutely something you MUST have. On the other hand, IE 5.2.3 will provide this, or as someone else suggested, Firefox is considered a really good browser.

I stick with Safari because I love the fact that it blocks pop ups and there are many other features about it I prefer over IE. I have not tried Firefox yet but I understand that it blocks pop up just as well.

There is no reason why you could not have several browsers on your lap top. Here is a link to the most current Safari update, the most current I.E. and several other browser related shareware and freeware for the Mac.

http://macupdate.com/internet.php?sub=1

Seek And Ye Shall Find

Steven, as far as I know, Safari will update a website while you are on the page. But I think the option you seek is what you are used to in Internet Explorer, where you can set the PREFERENCES in the ADVANCED options to do this automatically, without requiring that you RELOAD the page.

There may be an end-run option that can be used in Safari, but it is not offered in the help option, on Apple's web site, or in the manual I consulted. However, the great thing about Macs is that a lot of enthusiasts often create small "apps" to perform simple tasks (like change the appearance of the dock or folders) and all sorts of other technical things which make using the MAC operating system and MAC based applications work even better than they were designed by the software developers. It is possible such an end run has been created for Safari but I am not aware of it. Often these apps are created as freeware or shareware and can be downloaded easily.

If this automatic cache updating option is really that important to you, I would run Internet Explorer 5.2.3; it works well O.S. 10.3.2, which is what I am currently running, and it worked well with 10.2 as well.

The link I provided up, from MacUpdate, will provide you with the download for the software or you can find it on Microsoft's home page.

Conversely, you may try Firefox, but I do not know if it has this option as I have not yet downloaded or tried it. However, I know some other Mac people (and Windows users) who swear by it and really like it.

If a reason for you to use Safari over I.E. is to keep pop ups out of your browsing experience, there are several of these apps that will work with I.E. to block pop ups.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to private message or e-mail me and I will see if I can get you a better answer.

Finally, if you are still within the one year warranty of your Apple lap top, I would strongly recommend that you consider buying the extended warranty, Apple Care. Lap tops, because they are mobile and get moved and tossed and used in many environments, have more of a tendency to require repair. In addition, you will receive full technical support from Apple for the life of the extended warranty, beyond the initial 90 days when purchased.

This automatic cache update question is precisely the type of technical support you might be able to get help on, for free, with the extended warranty purchase.

Good luck.

http://www.gaydar.co.uk/francodisantis

RE: Seek And Ye Shall Find

Steven--

I don't why I didn't tell you this a couple of days ago. Go to http://www.dealmac.com. It's a daily listing of good deals on Macs, peripherals, supplies and other related merchandise. Enjoy that site (you'll find it will cost you a fortune showing you some great deals you can't pass up). But that's not why I'm telling you to go there.

Click on the "forums" button. There is a great bunch of people there, very similar to here, who offer each other help and guidance as well as some occassional grief--just like here. It's always advisable to use the "search" function before posting an issue. Otherwise some of the regulars will complain.

Archived