RIP Pete Burns

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 2757 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

He was the sound track to my first break up......

And now as I stand...

And stare into your eyes....

I see safety there.....

I want surprises....

What I really need to do is find myself a brand new lover!

When you begin to doubt what you've done:

I cannot carry on, now that we're through

I used to have the best times with you

Everyday is the same when I'm not with you

It's winter again and there's nothing to do

Now that you're gone I cannot carry on!

When you need strength to remember why you kicked his ass to the curb:

Please, Stop, Kicking My Heart Around,

Spending my money and driving my car around

Cheapening our love, with everyone in town

I said Stop, Kicking My Heart Around.

And when you're REALLY done:

Get out of my house!

Get out of my life!

Take only what's yours!

Take nothing of mine!....

Thank you Pete for a thousand nights of tears and strength.....RIP!

Wow - such sad news. While I liked all of Dead or Alive's songs, "Brand New Lover" was my favorite. "Spin Me 'Round" was a great song, but the juxtaposition of the pop-y, cheerful melody against those lyrics always makes me smile.

RIP Pete Burns.

I always had a tough time with pop stars such as Burns in the '80s, mostly because of my own issues repressing gay tendencies and rejecting all things flamboyant. Burns and others like him were so bold, putting so much of themselves out into pop culture. I get a kick out of watching these videos now that I'm not viewing them under the weight of my own repression. They're intentionally absurd and have such a sense of humor to them. I love it when Burns is aping Shiva, and the extra arms swing out from behind him synchronized to the echo of "I - I - I - I". I miss the poodle mullets and over the top fashions. I also get a kick out of the guys who ended up in these bands and who were probably in over their heads backing such extreme personalities. I see the normal guy in the background waving a gold color guard flag or wrapped in lamé ribbon, and I imagine he's thinking, "what on earth am I doing here?"

I believe we owe something to Pete Burns for pioneering a movement that helped bring eccentric, flamboyant, queer culture into the mainstream.

Archived