Good Bye Arnold

Candyman
This topic is 2786 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I grew up watching Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus play golf on TV. Even though it shouldn't have been, it was a shock to find out that Palmer had died.

Seems that it is always like that. We know it is inevitable, but news of anyone's death always comes as a shock and an offense.

H. Bloom whom we have discussed remarked that this is one of the essences of the Christian (although interestingly not the pre-Christian-era Judaic) hope: for "more life, into a time without boundaries."

Drink an Arnold Palmer today in tribute.

I have the iced tea. I'll have to look for some lemonade.

Seems that it is always like that. We know it is inevitable, but news of anyone's death always comes as a shock and an offense.

H. Bloom whom we have discussed remarked that this is one of the essences of the Christian (although interestingly not the pre-Christian-era Judaic) hope: for "more life, into a time without boundaries."

Mostly what it does is make me feel fucking old despite my best efforts at staying mentally young.

Those damn Christians and their Hellenistic-influenced thought. That quote is pretty insightful.

When did we discuss M/M Bloom? As for the meaning, it seems to me in the 'Christian' sense -and forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm Jewish- but classically or at least historically it would be talking about life eternal in heaven. Judaism on the other hand, at least as practiced today in the (probably) Conservative and especially Reform 'sects' doesn't dwell on death and post-death reward/punishment as much. You are supposed to act morally. But you are supposed to act morally because it's the right thing to do and not because you are expecting eternal paradise. Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox sects of Judaism may concentrate more on the rewards of the afterlife-my knowledge of this is sketchy-but even if they do, it's not to the extent Christianity does. I've heard/read but can't swear to the authenticity that early Jewish-Christians took many of their doctrines from the Essenes whom I don't think were considered mainstream in their beliefs.

Gman

Archived