Where to stay in Athens, Greece?

Archer
This topic is 2801 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With all of the well-traveled people on this site, I was hoping someone could tell me the best place to stay and places to visit. I have the opportunity to go to Athens next month for one week. I have traveled all over the Americas, but never to Europe. I will be traveling alone and would like to do touristy things . Where would be the best place to stay if I choose to not rent a car? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Where to Stay in Athens?

Santorini....grin

Seriously, Athens is a dump and every single Greek you meet there will rip you off.

Of course, that's a slight exaggeration.....but only slight.

Whenever friends ask for recommendations about Athens I say, "get off the plane,

get in a taxi, visit the Acropolis, then go straight to the cruise terminal and take the

next boat out of Athens and head straight to the Greek Islands".

It doesn't really matter which one. They are all incredible. Santorini is the most

stunning, but packed with honeymooners. Mykonos has the best nightlife and gay

scene, but they are all pretty incredible. I've been to around 20 different Greek Islands

and I've loved them all!

Athens?....not so much.

If you're going to be in Athens for that long, I recommend renting an apartment. AirBNB works great there. I recommend Syntagma or Acropolis neighborhoods. Kolonaki is also very authentic and local but still near all the top tourist stuff. One note that can trip folks up....Athens (in fact most of Greece) is basically a cash-based society. Very few restaurants or places of interest take credit/debit. Make sure you have plenty of access to cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived