Health Note

wisconsinguy
This topic is 2863 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wanted to share with members a bacteria that we all have, and has been considered benign almost forever, is no longer considered so. Propionibacterium acnes, P. acnes for short. Yes, it is the same acne bacteria that has caused us consternation with facial outbreaks in our earlier years. Individuals that have dealt with chronic prostatitis, if they have a biopsy, will as a majority, come up positive P. acnes. Chronic prostatitis has been know to be a big causative factor in prostate cancer. This past week, there was a footnote on a news channel. It stated that late identification of late stage prostate cancer is up 72%. I failed to get the time frame. I often tell my patients family, (I'm an RN, and work with special needs kids in their home). "This is what I would do." So if I have been dealing with prostatitis, I would bring this up to my Urologist, and see an Infections Disease doctor. I have not had to deal with this. However, 2 1/2 years ago I had a reverse total shoulder replacement. Over the last couple of months, the P. acnes bacteria has been identified in that shoulder. The prosthesis needs to be removed, with 3 stage surgeries over the next 5 months. Prolonged IV and oral antibiotics. My point is, what was considered a benign bacteria, is identified as a slow growing, and insidious bacterial agent. It's been highlighted recently in Orthopedics and Urology. WG2

Archived