Freedom- what is it to you?

Truereview
This topic is 2873 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Free to pursue happiness, yet restrained not to use my liberty to thwart someone else's pursuit of the same.

Exactly! As in one of the less often sung verses of 'America the Beautiful'...

America! America!

God mend thine every flaw,

Confirm thy soul in self-control,

Thy liberty in law!

(The thing is really interminable: http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html#ixzz4DTRsu9Ag )

Free to pursue happiness, yet restrained not to use my liberty to thwart someone else's pursuit of the same.

Bingo!

I recall an explanation (where, I cannot recall) that, 'My freedom to swing my fist ends at someone else's nose'.

To me, freedom also includes the ability to live my life without fear of untreated [or unaffordable] ill-health or of hunger.

Freedom = no labels for me, or at least the option to discard old ones and adopt new ones as I damn well please.

Freedom = having a long-term loving relationship *and* being able to go on romantic dates with others *and* being able to hire for good sex, all at the same time. Because my partner gives me the freedom to explore. He really is that awesome, and it makes me love him all the more for it!

Wonderful thoughts from all of you. My first thought was the freedom FROM religion guaranteed by the First Amendment. Worship whomever or whatever you wish but keep it away, far away, from me and what I do with my life. It's bad enough that religious groups in America get a pass on paying taxes: Don't bother me with your superstitions, please.

Archived