Dark Shadows Debuted 50 Years Ago- June 27th!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2769 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the first shows I ever remember watching. Loved it!

I remember other shows before this one (like Bewitched). But I watched it for several years. It came on around 3:00 or 3:30 pm and school was out at 2:45 pm. (Note: The first year of All My Children coincided with the last year of Dark Shadows. All My Children used to come on either before or after Dark Shadows. In third grade, I'd watch them both when I got home from school. )

Gman

I used to RUN home from school to catch this show. Vampires and all that, and I totally missed the campy melodrama.

It was VAMPIRES, man! As a kid, that was the shit!

I can remember being very scared by some of the scenes.

I bought the complete DVD set from Amazon a few years ago. But I don't have a DVD player at the moment.

81P9yiv618L._SL1500_.jpg

Gman

Friends attended and got this shot of the attending cast...

13439121_10210148282893183_55213301785171175_n.jpg?oh=6bcf3ffaa28f67e249f6f119b58d7f47&oe=57F0FEDA

DARK SHADOWS (1966-1971) original cast members TODAY!

front row: Lara Parker (Angelique Collins), Marie Wallace (Jenny Collins), John Karlen (Willie Loomis), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans), Sharon Smyth Lentz (Sarah Collins), Donna Wandrey (Roxanne Drew) || top row: Jeff Clark (Roger Davis), Jeb Hawkes (Chris Pennock), Quentin Collins (David Selby), Gerard Stiles (James Storm), Reverend Trask (Jerry Lacy), plus: Daniel Morgan (abc stage manager of ten "DS" episodes).

Friends attended and got this shot of the attending cast...

13439121_10210148282893183_55213301785171175_n.jpg?oh=6bcf3ffaa28f67e249f6f119b58d7f47&oe=57F0FEDA

DARK SHADOWS (1966-1971) original cast members TODAY!

front row: Lara Parker (Angelique Collins), Marie Wallace (Jenny Collins), John Karlen (Willie Loomis), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans), Sharon Smyth Lentz (Sarah Collins), Donna Wandrey (Roxanne Drew) || top row: Jeff Clark (Roger Davis), Jeb Hawkes (Chris Pennock), Quentin Collins (David Selby), Gerard Stiles (James Storm), Reverend Trask (Jerry Lacy), plus: Daniel Morgan (abc stage manager of ten "DS" episodes).

Your post varies between character names being in parentheses and actors being in parentheses. David Selby and Roger Davis were babes. There's also an actor who died of AIDS that my nine year old self thought was incredibly handsome, Joel Crothers. He played Joe Haskell, Maggie's boyfriend.

On the show-

hqdefault.jpg

Later years--

6778897_115138292452.jpg

Gman

WOW!!! How old were you? How old was he?

Gman

PS Lara Parker looks incredible!!

He was 70, still looked great. I was 33, looked younger (the opposite of today :rolleyes: ).

Alas, a drunken John Karlen came along and spoiled the moment. :mad:

Lara Parker never seems to age!

But I don't have a DVD player at the moment.

Do you have a disc drive, and HDMI port on your laptop? A HDMI port on your TV? If so, go to RadioShack or someplace similar, get a HDMI cord, connect to laptop and TV, and voila, Dark Shadows on your TV. Cheaper than buying a DVD player.

He was 70, still looked great. I was 33, looked younger (the opposite of today :rolleyes: ).

Alas, a drunken John Karlen came along and spoiled the moment. :mad:

Lara Parker never seems to age!

I'm just in awe-not only that you got to go to a reunion with the stars-but that Louis hit on you (when he appeared on All My Children it had been too long a time-I didn't realize he had been Roger Collins until probably shortly before he died). But that you got to interact with a drunk Mr. Harvey Lacey.

Gman

Do you have a disc drive, and HDMI port on your laptop? A HDMI port on your TV? If so, go to RadioShack or someplace similar, get a HDMI cord, connect to laptop and TV, and voila, Dark Shadows on your TV. Cheaper than buying a DVD player.

Radio Shack went out of business more than a year ago. o_O Good suggestion otherwise. Try BestBuy or Target.

Here's episode #1. Notice the spooky mood music underlying the entire episode, Alexandra Moltke's over-emoting, Joan Bennett's 1930-1940's mid-Atlantic accent, Louis Edmund's probable interpretation of a Mid-Atlantic Accent which in his case sounds more British (shades of the future Langley Wallingford). Also notice Dharma's father as Devlin (he was fired for being an alcoholic) and Conrad Bain before he became a doctor, grew rich, and adopted two poor orphaned black children of his dead housekeeper.

Gman

Radio Shack went out of business more than a year ago. o_O Good suggestion otherwise. Try BestBuy or Target.

They didn't close all the stores, one by my house is still open.

Sprint either went into partnership with them or bought them out and kept some stores open as Radio Shack with big Sprint signs out in front. Now their inventory skews much more towards phones and accessories.

Gman

Sprint either went into partnership with them or bought them out and kept some stores open as Radio Shack with big Sprint signs out in front. Now their inventory skews much more towards phones and accessories.

Yeah, Radio Shack went chapter 11 and Sprint picked up the leavings. They closed something like 75% of locations (including the one near me, in an already mostly vacant strip mall), and kept the remainder as Sprint stores.

It's kinda sad. It leaves us with no basic "go to" for a quick video cable or phone line splitter, etc.

I once attended a reading given by Jonathan Frid. It was one of the most engaging theater experiences I can remember.

Speaking of author readings-the three main ones I remember were Dan Savage in Cincinnati reading from Skipping Towards Gomorra in 2002, Gregory Keyes in 2002 either Lexington or Louisville (they are both about equal distance from Cincinnati-and I can't remember where I drove to. I think it was Lexington) about his Waterborn series and his upcoming series; and Ursula K Leguin about 2 years ago in Seattle. She was talking about a poetry book she had published in cooperation with a photographer. I didn't go so much to hear her talk about her poetry because I'm mostly a philistine regarding poetry. I went because it was Ursula. I would have preferred her talking about her Earthsea novels-and then discussing with her my distaste for the ones extending past the original trilogy.

Gman

Speaking of author readings-the three main ones I remember were Dan Savage in Cincinnati reading from Skipping Towards Gomorra in 2002, Gregory Keyes in 2002 either Lexington or Louisville (they are both about equal distance from Cincinnati-and I can't remember where I drove to. I think it was Lexington) about his Waterborn series and his upcoming series; and Ursula K Leguin about 2 years ago in Seattle. She was talking about a poetry book she had published in cooperation with a photographer. I didn't go so much to hear her talk about her poetry because I'm mostly a philistine regarding poetry. I went because it was Ursula. I would have preferred her talking about her Earthsea novels-and possibly my distaste for the ones extending past the original trilogy.

Gman

My recollection is that Savage was speaking against former Secretary of Education William Bennett's Book of Virtues.

Gman

Archived