WINES

Epigonos
This topic is 2903 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Although I have drunk a glass of wine daily for years, I am no expert on wines. Whenever a friend goes to Argentina, he brings us back a bottle of Malbec, which I like better than the standard Pinot Noirs and Cabernets. If I want a really good red, I go for Chateauneuf-du-Pape. I usually prefer whites, like Sauvignon Blanc, but my real favorite is Riesling, which is becoming very hard to find here, even in big wine stores like Total Wine. If I want to spend more money, I go for a Viognier.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pinot is French for "piss water".

Call me a snob but.....

I only drink Cali Cabs...French Bordeaux....Italian Super Tuscans....and the occasional Châteauneuf-du-Pape...

all other reds should be used for cooking or getting pissed drunk at the local Ramada Inn when you're 20 years old.

I'm a little more open to exploration with whites....but again...Pinot anything = "I'm too poor to afford a real wine"

Rosés are crap on a good day....but what else does one drink on the beach in St. Barts?

Location is everything!

De gustibus non est disputandum!

I do believe that Bordeaux, known as the King of Wines, is based primarily on Cabernet Sauvignon.

Burgundy, a.k.a. Bourgogne, is based an Pinot Noir, and is known as the Emporer of Wines.

Have a bottle of Romanee Conti, and tell me what you think if it.

My favorite domestic Pinot Noir is Domaine Drouhin, from Oregon. The vintner has three levels of his Pinot. His basic is excellent. A subset is his Laurene, which is fabulous. He gas a subset of Laurene that I hAve yet to experience.

Background: Monsieur Drouhin is a negotiant in Bourgogne. Somehow, he found land in Oregon which was almost exactly like the French wine growing region. The rest, as they say, is history.

If push comes to shove, for an American Cab Sav, I'd probably opt for a Heitz Martha's Vineyard. Coincidentally, I am writing this from Tisbury, MA, at the northern tip of Martha's Vibeyard.

Archived