‘Biggest Loser’ fed us illegal drugs to lose weight: ex-contestants

marylander1940
This topic is 2921 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Lezlye Donahue survived Hurricane Katrina. Going on “The Biggest Loser,” she says, was worse than that.

“It’s my biggest nightmare,” she says, “and it’s with me to this day.”

nup_113769_0229.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=231&strip=all

Lezlye Donahue in 2007.Photo: Getty Images

Following a controversial study that claims to explain why almost all “Biggest Loser” contestants regain massive amounts of weight, numerous ex-Losers reached out to The Post to dispute its findings — exclusively revealing that the show encouraged contestants to take street drugs while starving themselves and to lie about how much weight they were losing.

The federally funded study, conducted by Dr. Kevin Hall at the National Institutes of Health and published two weeks ago, says changing metabolic rates, hormone levels, and genetic predispositions explain post-show weight gain.

What’s missing, former Losers tell The Post, is any examination of the show’s secret and brutal tactics, which include providing illicit drugs to contestants and submitting them to questionable medical exams by the show’s resident doctor, Rob Huizenga, known as “Dr. H.”

http://nypost.com/2016/05/22/biggest-loser-fed-us-illicit-drugs-to-lose-weight-ex-contestants/

The federally funded study, conducted by Dr. Kevin Hall at the National Institutes of Health and published two weeks ago, says changing metabolic rates, hormone levels, and genetic predispositions explain post-show weight gain.

What’s missing, former Losers tell The Post, is any examination of the show’s secret and brutal tactics, which include providing illicit drugs to contestants and submitting them to questionable medical exams by the show’s resident doctor, Rob Huizenga, known as “Dr. H.”

I find the allegation that the show was "providing illicit drugs" extremely difficult to believe. The attached article also says: Huizenga denied the claim in an e-mail to The Post. “Nothing could be further from the truth,” it read. “Contestants are told at the start of the show that there is zero tolerance for any weight-loss drugs. Urine drug screens and the evaluation of serial weights are repeatedly used to flush out possible illicit use.”

The sheer number of people who would have to stay silent in such a massive conspiracy seems truly untenable. Would a doctor really risk not only his license but criminal prosecution as well? There is also no evidence that people are "genetically predisposed" to weight 300# or more. Rates of obesity have absolutely skyrocketed over the last few decades. Our DNA has not changed. Yes, there have been mice that have been genetically engineered to an obesity predisposition. This is not the case for humans.

I find the allegation that the show was "providing illicit drugs" extremely difficult to believe. The attached article also says: Huizenga denied the claim in an e-mail to The Post. “Nothing could be further from the truth,” it read. “Contestants are told at the start of the show that there is zero tolerance for any weight-loss drugs. Urine drug screens and the evaluation of serial weights are repeatedly used to flush out possible illicit use.”

The sheer number of people who would have to stay silent in such a massive conspiracy seems truly untenable. Would a doctor really risk not only his license but criminal prosecution as well? There is also no evidence that people are "genetically predisposed" to weight 300# or more. Rates of obesity have absolutely skyrocketed over the last few decades. Our DNA has not changed. Yes, there have been mice that have been genetically engineered to an obesity predisposition. This is not the case for humans.

We're talking about a reality TV show, I'm sure there will be a lawsuit if this isn't arranged before.

Interesting how that person didn't allege that she was being given illicit drugs, although she complains about mistreatment. If she had been given illicit drugs, I think that would be the first of her complaints. "To protest, I simply walked the course, refusing to run until they asked me to at the end, hopefully ruining the competitive spirit of the challenge." I guess she's not the type to protest with a hunger strike.

Archived