Judy Garland 2017 Tour

WmClarke
This topic is 2952 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

http://fs61.www.ex.ua/show/129578911/129578911.jpg?800 [quote=WmClarke, post:

1091497, member: 11043]Hologram tour, that is.

I am in my early 70s now, but quite young when I saw Judy Garland perform in 1961 and twice in 1967.

Rufus Wainwright has performed her 1961 Carnegie Hall concert complete for the last few years and will again this June at Carnegie Hall. I have only seen the Rufus DVD, not bad but he's not Judy Garland.

Forget the hologram and listen to Judy at Carnegie Hall from 1961 with ear buds It's Garland at her very best.

... listen to Judy at Carnegie Hall from 1961 with ear buds It's Garland at her very best.

ABSOLUTELY! I first owned the 2-record album, which cuts out all the banter between songs except for the bit near the end when the audience doesn't want the show to be over. ("I'll sing 'em all and we'll stay all night!") The DVD set leaves in Judy's storytelling between songs. In some ways it's a distraction, but still fun and fascinating. In addition to being one of the most naturally gifted singers ever, she was a very funny lady.

I saw Judy in Boston in the fall of 1961. She told the same stories and most of the same songs. I was near enought to the stage to watch her closely.

Yes, she had a tragic life, but it must have been thrilling to have the talent to move so many people up close.

Can I just say I am terribly jelous of you guys who saw her when she was alive?

I was a freshman in college when I saw Judy in 1961. Yes, I knew she was a movie star, but not much more. Before "Judy at Carnegie Hall" was released during the summer, some Boston radio stations played the songs. I have never heard anyone sing like that. The 2 LPs were first released in a black box because of the demand. It took a few months for the official album release.

The years 1961-1962 were so special for Judy Garland because of the new power of her voice joined with the depth of her emotions.

As good as Judy's weekly TV was in 1963-1964, her voice had lost some power. She could no longer sing 24-25 songs a night in concert with little concern about her voice being in A+ shape.

In addition to being one of the most naturally gifted singers ever, she was a very funny lady.

That's what I got from her biography. Her sense of humor was really quick, and offbeat, and she loved non-sequitors. If I recall, one of her favorites was about two hippopotamuses that had been stuck at the bottom of the La Brea Tar Pits for thousands of years. One day one says to the other, I keep thinking it's Wednesday.

Of all the greats I can think of, she's someone I would have liked for a friend.

This 2011 piece from Vanity Fair begins a few years before the Carnegie Hall concert--"with a quarter-century of hard living behind her" Judy is near death even before she's 40--and encapsulates the story of the comeback that led to what's been called "the greatest night in show business history"--April 23, 1961:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2011/05/judy-garland-201105

My mother was a huge Judy Garland fan, so I was exposed to her music despite her having died when I was five years old. She was truly a great talent. So sad that she died at such a young age.

As a side note: you can see in the clip that it took a few songs for her to warm up and appear "natural" on stage.

I was exposed to her music despite her having died when I was five years old. She was truly a great talent. So sad that she died at such a young age.

I was twenty-five when I heard about Judy Garland's death. I heard the news on the radio while in Oakland for a brief time. Sad news, but not a surprise.

My mother was a huge Judy Garland fan, so I was exposed to her music despite her having died when I was five years old...

I was twenty-five when I heard about Judy Garland's death. I heard the news on the radio...

For those who don't know this (but might be interested), there has long been speculation about a link between the death of Judy Garland and the Stonewall Riots.

Judy died in England on June 22, 1969. Her remains were brought to New York City on June 26, where an estimated 20,000 people lined up to pay their respects at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel. On June 27, James Mason (Garland's co-star in A Star Is Born) gave a eulogy at her funeral. The Stonewall Riots broke out in the early hours of June 28.

Some have contended that most of those involved were not the type to moon over Judy Garland records or attend her concerts. They were more preoccupied with where they were going to sleep and where their next meal would come from. Others have claimed that there were several patrons at the Stonewall bar that night who had come from the funeral earlier in the day to drink and mourn. Because the bar had no liquor license, it was passed off as a bottle club and patrons were required to sign in. Many used pseudonyms and "Judy Garland" was a popular one.

Regardless of the truth of the matter, the speculation persists and was fictionalized in Stonewall, the Nigel Finch film about events leading up to the riots.

Decades after these events, Time magazine printed this: “The uprising was inspired by a potent cocktail of pent-up rage (raids of gay bars were brutal and routine), overwrought emotions (hours earlier, thousands had wept at the funeral of Judy Garland) and drugs..."

Archived