I feel so dirty

JetBlack
This topic is 2945 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a radio in my car. Not a fancy one that tells me information about songs, just the radio station I'm on. Normally I listen to podcasts or music (progressive metal / death metal / grind-core) from my phone, but my AUX cable broke so I had to resort the old fashioned radio.

I have been humming along to a few songs recently, and they are stupidly catchy. I guess they are Top 40. It's pretty far off from what I normally listen to, but I have no choice. I give in to pop music.

I jumped into my friends car who has Sirius radio, so you get to know EVERYTHING about a song. My song came on that I've been humming to. I get excited. I look at his dashboard to see who sings it and it's friggin Bieber. Justin Bieber. I'm Canadian, so I have a special, "close to home", distaste for him. I sit there thinking, "crap.... I've been humming to Bieber for a week now". I then force my friend to drive into oncoming traffic to end the pain.

No, we don't drive into traffic - but I wallow in this disgust for a while. My friend and I drive along. He flips few a few other stations and eventually my other "feeling good, let's hum along" song comes on. I look at the dashboard to find out who this artist is, and...... it's Bieber again!

I feel so dirty. Actually, I don't know what to feel. I had a unbiased liking for two of his most recent songs. Now that I know who the artist is, how do I move on? Do I come out as a Bieber fan? How will my parents react? Will my friends and family be accepting of this lifestyle choice?

Do you have any secret songs that you would never tell close friends you enjoy?

well I don't know about songs.. but I did see the pictures of B's peen pics when he was on vacation.. have to admit.. B is packing :p

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well I don't know about songs.. but I did see the pictures of B's peen pics when he was on vacation.. have to admit.. B is packing :p

I still maintain that the Beebs knew those photogs were lurking and kept himself fluffed up for the cameras. Or even arranged the whole thing himself.

I still maintain that the Beebs knew those photogs were lurking and kept himself fluffed up for the cameras. Or even arranged the whole thing himself.

of course he had to know the photogs were out there.. there was someone else in the room wearing a robe too.. so he must have been doing something something :D

I think he actually does quite a bit of writing.

According to Wikipedia he is credited as a writer for every song on the album, along with half a dozen other different people on each track.

I'm sure his team of professionals include his input and give him credit and that's about it.

According to Wikipedia he is credited as a writer for every song on the album, along with half a dozen other different people on each track.

I'm sure his team of professionals include his input and give him credit and that's about it.

But he's not credited as the lead song writer on each track, which implies to me he does not take credit if he hasn't done most of the work. And on some previous albums he is credited as the only song writer or one of two or even not at all. I don't necessarilly like Justin Bieber but I'll give credit where it is due. He is also a talented musician (guitar, piano) so I wouldn't put it past him.

I would think it's a case of "add a word, take a third." Some recording artists will make a very small change to a song so they can add their name to the credits and increase their compensation and royalties from the song (frankly, at the expense of the genuine writer of the song).

http://438424cd093f86f0c7e0-2cd4f1b3b970cf6c05d6a60490c230b4.r88.cf2.rackcdn.com/bieberbeethoven171113_g.jpg

Well Beethoven was 27, Bieber was 16, not that I think he will ever or wants to compose to the same level. (Also that's a specific adaptation of the song, not necessarily canon) The real question is could Beethoven even sing? ;)

I would think it's a case of "add a word, take a third." Some recording artists will make a very small change to a song so they can add their name to the credits and increase their compensation and royalties from the song (frankly, at the expense of the genuine writer of the song).

That's possible but just as possible as him having more of a hand in the writing. He obviously writes songs, and has been since he was young. He understand music and plays multiple instruments. It could be a balance some songs he is the lead on some he isn't (hence my comment about credit order). But I'm not going to judge his talent based on my personal feelings for him or his career. Until I'm in the writing room with him I'll just assume I will never know rather than decide I know best.

I think we are too quick to judge modern artist as "talentless" when it comes to writing. No most don't write, produce, perform, and record their own albums anymore...but that may be more a comment on the state of the music industry than them. I mean look how transformed Lady Gaga is from her popular beginnings.

Archived