St. Barts

Truereview
This topic is 2898 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My first time to visit. Going with a group of friends, staying on Pointe Colombier area. Will be there April 25 thru May 14, so will have time to explore nearby islands as well (St Kitts & St Martin?). I've brushed up on my French but heard shouldn't be an issue at all. Welcome any insights, tips! Merci!

keep your eyes closed when landing....

Now, rolling into the water hardly ever happens! :D

It is fun to drive up the road to the top of that hill, then sit and watch the planes fly just a few feet over your head as they come in to land.

St Barths is beautiful. Here are some tips:

Have a cheeseburger at Le Select in Gustavia - supposedly where Jimmy Buffet wrote Cheeseburger in Paradise.

Rent a mini-moke to go beach hopping. Shell Beach is beautiful. Saline Beach unofficially allows nudity and I have seen some damn hot Frenchmen. Baie de St Jean has great beaches, bars (La Plage was good the last time I was there, try the homemade vanilla rum) and restaurants. The airport runway ends right at the beach so you can watch the planes take off.

Have a meal at the Eden Rock Hotel.

Stand at the top of the hill on the road that runs between Gustavia and Baie de St Jean as a plane is landing at the airport below, it will feel like you can touch the wheels of the plane as it descends.

Stroll through the marina in Gustavia and ogle the mega yachts.

Bring lots of cash or have the credit cards primed to spend some bucks....

I'm envious, have fun!

By all means go spend a day on St Martin. But seriously consider flying instead of taking the ferry. I have never been seasick except on the catamaran ferry between the two islands on the morning crossing, when the chop had me green and wanting to die.

St Martin/St Maarten is nice. Phillipsburg, on the Dutch side of the island, is all about shopping. Marigot on the French side is a beautiful and very French. It has changed a lot of the years and I was shocked at the development the last time I was there (4 years ago). You can still find quaint towns with great inexpensive restaurants (almost beach shacks) on the French side. The people are wonderful. I was there on vacation one month after 9/11 (we were not going let the terrorists win!). When people heard us clearly speaking American English they asked where we were from and when we told them NY they hugged us and cried. It was very emotional. While we were there the Queens NY plane crash occurred. A taxi driver told us and we asked where we could find a TV. He took us to a bar on the beach in Phillipsburg, where we watched the news, horrified at what was presumed to be another terrorist attack. The bartender brought drinks and food to the table when he saw we clearly shaken and somewhat distraught. They refused money. It turned out that the plane crashed due to mechanical failure not sabotage.

I haven't been to St Kitts in 17 or 18 years but I remember it being very laid back and not very developed. I am sure it has changed. It was far more popular for Canadians than Americans back then. We went for a Kayaking/Snorkeling trip and the guide was one of the most stunningly handsome man and well built men I have ever seen. He was Canadian. Don't ask me about the snorkeling, all I remember is him.

• 1 month later...

Don't forget the nearby island of Anguilla. It has some of the best secluded beaches in the Caribbean. I like it better than St.Bart and St.Martin. A beautiful little island with stunning beaches. It is only accessible by boat, and much quieter than the other two islands you mentioned (St Bart and St. Martin). My favorite island to visit in the Caribbean, followed by Turk and Caicos, and St. Lucia.

Archived