Should we have a recipe and cooking topic?

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2981 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

YES avocado is heathly, you should offer it as an ad-on to your service. Kinda like at Subway when you order a foot-long....

Sadly I don't have a foot long :( it's more like a 6 1/2 inch long. Hmmm maybe I could reenact the ping pong scene from PQOTD but with avacado? :D Hahaha

Hugs,

Greg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this is it...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/root-beer-cake-369449

Like I said, it's a bit more complicated than your average cake recipe, but it's very good. Actual root beer in the batter, and a mix of spices in the glaze that give it a root beer taste. I found it through an article where people were discussing things they hated about recipes and someone mentioned a root beer cake recipe that failed to mention you should use a cake pan with high sides, because the root beer and baking soda made the cake foam up & rise pretty high while baking, and it overflowed her pan. One google search later...

This has to be the most complicated cake recipe I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing. Did you use like an angel food cake pan or what type of pan did you use when you made it?

My entry:

http://eat.at/swap/forum1/202031_Celebration_Cake__This_one_got_me_upset_when_I_thought_I_had_left_the_recipe_

This, in my option, is the best chicken recipe you can find. Its from over 40 years ago from a French chef who had a wonderful restaurant in Napa Valley. It's been made in our house over 100 times in at least the last 20 years.

POULETAU VINAIGRE VIN

serves 4

6-8 chicken thighs

3 large garlic gloves, halved

2 shallots, halved

1/4 balsamic vinegar

1 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup dry vermouth

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 bay leaves

Parsley sprig

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 tsp. Dry tarragon

In large skillet sauté chicken with garlic and shallots in butter until lightly colored... about 5 min.

Add red wine vinegar and bring to boil and simmer, covered about 5 min

Add tomatoes, vermouth, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, parsley and simmer, covered, about 20 min

Transfer to serving dish, keep warm

Remove bay leaves and parsley from pan.

Reduce by about 2/3 over high heat

Add cream and tarragon and reduce about 1/4th.

Season to taste, pour over chicken and serve with rice.

It's a very easy recipe. There are other vinegar chicken recipes on line but NONE compare with this.

Here's my contribution: a fabulous blackened tilapia fajita that is to die for. I bought flounder for when the tilapia ran out and I'm kicking myself. The recipe prep is relatively simple but it's so yummy I've had it several times, including without the avocado.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/blackened-tilapia-baja-tacos

Thanks. We're going to try this for dinner tonight. Our Von's store has tilapia and a little section of ripe avocados. Usually the avocados in the store are rock hard.

Thanks again.

Dom? This is Greg

Hugs,

Greg

Oh sorry dear, you know I'm old and all you "scorts" are the same to me..... especially since you are Both the most prolific posters here.... its easy for us old folk to mix 2 cute boys up...

The only way I can be definitive in telling you boys apart is by your cocks.... and i dont have that reference :p

Oh sorry dear, you know I'm old and all you "scorts" are the same to me..... especially since you are Both the most prolific posters here.... its easy for us old folk to mix 2 cute boys up...

The only way I can be definitive in telling you boys apart is by your cocks.... and i dont have that reference :p

It'sposted on my RM profile.

Hugs,

Greg

I've tried the buttercream made on a stove and I much prefer the simple recipe on the side of the confectioner's sugar box.

One of my fond childhood memories was getting birthday cakes from the Bakery. They had the most amazing buttercream that is all but lost.

The buttercream in this recipe is the best I've ever had! I've made it twice ... it's a bit of work ... but worth the effort.

This, in my option, is the best chicken recipe you can find. Its from over 40 years ago from a French chef who had a wonderful restaurant in Napa Valley. It's been made in our house over 100 times in at least the last 20 years.

POULETAU VINAIGRE VIN

serves 4

6-8 chicken thighs

3 large garlic gloves, halved

2 shallots, halved

1/4 balsamic vinegar

1 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup dry vermouth

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 bay leaves

Parsley sprig

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 tsp. Dry tarragon

In large skillet sauté chicken with garlic and shallots in butter until lightly colored... about 5 min.

Add red wine vinegar and bring to boil and simmer, covered about 5 min

Add tomatoes, vermouth, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves, parsley and simmer, covered, about 20 min

Transfer to serving dish, keep warm

Remove bay leaves and parsley from pan.

Reduce by about 2/3 over high heat

Add cream and tarragon and reduce about 1/4th.

Season to taste, pour over chicken and serve with rice.

It's a very easy recipe. There are other vinegar chicken recipes on line but NONE compare with this.

I have all the ingredients but the heavy cream! Once I get through the meat in the fridge, I'll try this. Thanks!

Here's my contribution: a fabulous blackened tilapia fajita that is to die for. I bought flounder for when the tilapia ran out and I'm kicking myself. The recipe prep is relatively simple but it's so yummy I've had it several times, including without the avocado.

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/blackened-tilapia-baja-tacos

What a great recipe. Has just enough 'kick'. I used my smaller food processor for the jalapeño sauce. Since I'm not afraid of fat, I used regular sour cream, not low fat. I think it makes it richer to taste.

Folks in you make this or really any fish dish, don't overcook the fish. So many people do and the fish comes out dry. Cook just enough, and you'll have wonderful moist fish. This is one recipe to add to your repertoire.

What a great recipe. Has just enough 'kick'. I used my smaller food processor for the jalapeño sauce. Since I'm not afraid of fat, I used regular sour cream, not low fat. I think it makes it richer to taste.

Folks in you make this or really any fish dish, don't overcook the fish. So many people do and the fish comes out dry. Cook just enough, and you'll have wonderful moist fish. This is one recipe to add to your repertoire.

Moist fish ? I went GAY to avoid it !

Archived