An athlete is going to jail for rape? April Fools?

marylander1940
This topic is 1709 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The two bikers skidded to a stop on “Scary Path.” True to its nickname among Stanford students, the dirt trail on the edge of campus was home to something sinister in the early hours of Jan. 18, 2015.

The bikers were on their way to a frat party. They halted, however, at the sight of a man lying on top of a half-naked woman.

Normally, the bikers might have been amused to catch sight of fellow students having sex. But this was different.

The man, tall and slim and athletic, was thrusting atop the woman.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/31/all-american-swimmer-found-guilty-of-sexually-assaulting-unconscious-woman-on-stanford-campus/

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/automation/vod/501032_630x354.jpg

http://www.ksbw.com/image/view/-/30967932/highRes/2/-/maxh/480/maxw/640/-/go6x18z/-/stanford-rape-jpg.jpg

http://cdn4.everyjoe.com/wp-content/gallery/brock-turner-rape/brock-turner-rape-stanford.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PALO ALTO, Calif. — A six-month jail term for a former Stanford University swimmer convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman on campus after both attended a fraternity party is being decried as a slap on the wrist.

Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky sentenced 20-year-old Brock Turner to six months in county jail and three years' probation after the woman who was assaulted read the court an emotional statement that has gone viral. Turner must also complete a sex offender management program and register as a convicted sex offender for the rest of his life.

Brock Turner, right, makes his way into the Santa Clara Superior Courthouse in Palo Alto on June 2, 2016. Dan Honda / AP

In her statement, the woman described how the attack left her emotionally scarred.

"My independence, natural joy, gentleness, and steady lifestyle I had been enjoying became distorted beyond recognition. I became closed off, angry, self-deprecating, tired, irritable, empty," she said.

District Attorney Jeff Rosen said he was disappointed that the judge did not sentence Turner to prison.

"The punishment does not fit the crime," Rosen said in a statement after the sentence was announced Thursday. "The sentence does not factor in the true seriousness of this sexual assault, or the victim's ongoing trauma. Campus rape is no different than off-campus rape. Rape is rape."

A jury in March found Turner guilty of three felony sexual assault counts for the January 2015 attack, which was interrupted by two graduate students who saw him assaulting a partially clothed woman behind a trash bin. Turner tried to flee, but the students tackled and pinned him down until police arrived and arrested him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-stanford-swimmer-brock-turner-s-jail-term-decried-too-n585981

Op's note: Now a days with all of us out of the closet in big cities and campuses and straight guys (handsome or not) still rape women instead of buying a couple of dinners. I'm sorry but I don't get it.

Edited by marylander1940

People are so incredibly sexist... it's so gross!

“This was not a clear-cut case, and I hope the jury got it right,” commented one man on a local TV station’s coverage of the verdict. “Of course Turner made some terrible mistakes, but I will always wonder if consent happened or not."

No douchebag, she was passed out so bad that it took her three hours to come back. She could not have given consent in that state.

It is the most clear cut case you will ever see.

“So his BAC was 2 times the legal limit, while hers was 3 times,” said another. “There are no winners here, but she is considered a victim while he goes [from] Stanford student and Olympic hopeful to registered sex offender for the rest of his life once he gets out of prison. Fair enough.”

Yeah, douchebag, one person was passed out, the other wasn't. He IS a sex offender, I don't give a shit about his sportly feats. I hope he went directly from Stanford Olympic hopeful to jail pass around bitch bottom.

And people say that the rape culture is only real in the inflammatory, hysteric minds of the feminist lobby.

How sad.

The young woman, Emily Doe, whose name has been changed to protect her privacy, delivered at Turner's sentencing what Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen called "the most eloquent, powerful and compelling piece of victim advocacy that I've seen in my 20 years as a prosecutor."

This is a must-read: http://paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/06/03/stanford-sex-assault-victim-you-took-away-my-worth

Yeah, that's really crazy. I don't understand rape at all. First of all, you'd think someone like him could get it for free. Second, even if he weren't able to get it for free, why not just hire a prostitute? Isn't consensual sex tons more satisfying than doing it with an unconscious body? Is it really worth throwing away your life at the age of 20? Just plain nuts, to me.

The young woman, Emily Doe, whose name has been changed to protect her privacy, delivered at Turner's sentencing what Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen called "the most eloquent, powerful and compelling piece of victim advocacy that I've seen in my 20 years as a prosecutor."

This is a must-read: http://paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/06/03/stanford-sex-assault-victim-you-took-away-my-worth

At the risk of sounding like I'm minimizing the horrors of rape, which is not my intention, some of these statements (if indeed it was she who wrote them) are a bit over the top:

Doe described in detail the "irreversible," permanent damage the assault caused on her life. She became "closed off, angry, self-deprecating, tired, irritable, empty." She lost sleep and independence. She eventually left her job.... She recounted the invasive exam she underwent to collect evidence — photographs, swabs, drawn blood...

While she may need some extensive counseling, there is no reason this event has to define and ruin her whole life. By her own testimony, she wasn't even conscious while it happened. And pelvic exams and blood draws are procedures almost all women have to go through during their lives. The last thing I want to do is minimize the seriousness of the crime. And I do think the rapist's sentence was too light. He should also be held liable financially for the cost of her counseling, which this woman apparently seriously needs, and other monetary losses she incurred. But I think it would be a mistake for her to live her whole life as nothing but a rape victim.

Edited by Unicorn

At the risk of sounding like I'm minimizing the horrors of rape, which is not my intention, some of these statements (if indeed it was she who wrote them) are a bit over the top:

Doe described in detail the "irreversible," permanent damage the assault caused on her life. She became "closed off, angry, self-deprecating, tired, irritable, empty." She lost sleep and independence. She eventually left her job.... She recounted the invasive exam she underwent to collect evidence — photographs, swabs, drawn blood...

While she may need some extensive counseling, there is no reason this event has to define and ruin her whole life. By her own testimony, she wasn't even conscious while it happened. And pelvic exams and blood draws are procedures almost all women have to go through during their lives. The last thing I want to do is minimize the seriousness of the crime. And I do think the rapist's sentence was too light. He should also be held liable financially for the cost of her counseling, which this woman apparently seriously needs, and other monetary losses she incurred. But I think it would be a mistake for her do live her whole life as nothing but a rape victim.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You are minimizing the horror of rape for this woman. I'd ask you to reread what you wrote and think about it from the perspective of a rape victim. Try to be in her shoes. Waking up in the hospital. With bruises, cuts, blood, and soreness that you have zero memory of anything that could've caused all of it. There is zero comparison between a medical pelvic exam which you are conscious of consenting to and waking up with bruised sore genitals with dirt and other particles shoved inside and no memory of how it happened. The level of disassociation and psychological trauma are very real and significant for such victims.

To make matters worse, she had to relive that trauma regularly all throughout the trial plus additional traumas caused by a puerile media looking to sensationalize her experience and a savvy defense attorney trying to discredit and destroy her. And that doesn't even touch on her likely own self-hatred, guilt, and whatever her boyfriend and family went through and did to her.

With extensive and expensive counseling, she should recover, but she will always have this as a part of her. This is something many men--especially white men--frequently do not comprehend about women in our patriarchal sexist society. Most women go through life with a deeply embedded and constant "hum" of fear about men. Think of how the phrase "boys will be boys" was used in the past to excuse aggression in boys? Think of all the stories about "boys only want one thing" that we tell our girls over and over. Yes, there's some truth, but the underlying message our girls receive as they grow up in America is that men are dangerous and that you never know when one of them will go from catcalls, or comments on your "rack" to physically or sexually assaulting you. Sadly, given the statistics and news stories it happens quite regularly and is rarely reported because of this! Our society minimizes or even dismisses the victim's pain and suffering and barely punishes the rapist.

Until our society truly tackles the reality of how common rape is in America--and boys and men are raped too--we will never have a just society and we will never have true sexual equality.

Edited by LivingnLA

min·i·mize

ˈminəˌmīz/

verb

gerund or present participle: minimizing

1. reduce (something, especially something unwanted or unpleasant) to the smallest possible amount or degree.
    "the aim is to minimize costs"
    synonyms: keep down, keep at/to a minimum, reduce, decrease, cut down, lessen, curtail, diminish, prune;
    informalslash
    "the aim is to minimize costs"

No, It doesn't sound like you are minimizing it. You ARE. You are literally saying that it is not as bad as she thinks it is.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You are minimizing the horror of rape for this woman.

Yep.

Until our society truly tackles the reality of how common rape is in America--and boys and men are raped too--we will never have a just society and we will never have true sexual equality.

Yes, and until we stop trying to tell the victims how to feel and tell them they didn't get it as bad as they think they did, rape will have the masses moral support.

By telling a victim he/she should buck up and tone it down, what we are doing is (consciously or subconsciously) supporting the perpetrator.

Yes, and until we stop trying to tell the victims how to feel and tell them they didn't get it as bad as they think they did, rape will have the masses moral support.

By telling a victim he/she should buck up and tone it down, what we are doing is (consciously or subconsciously) supporting the perpetrator.

Exactly this. I know I sound like a bleeding-heart liberal hippy, but I work with trauma victims regularly and men in privileged and protected positions--typically white & wealthy in America--often don't understand in a visceral gut-level way what being sexually assaulted is like for a woman. We are only just now beginning to barely acknowledge the deeply embedded sexism in our society. This knowledge is part of what's behind all the millennial guys who fear being naked in the gym. They are aware in a visceral way of what women have experienced for centuries: their bodies as sexual objects of lust by predatory men.

Exactly this. I know I sound like a bleeding-heart liberal hippy, but I work with trauma victims regularly and men in privileged and protected positions--typically white & wealthy in America--often don't understand in a visceral gut-level way what being sexually assaulted is like for a woman.

Not al all, you sound like an intelligent, well-informed, well-meaning man who has thought about this subject more than two minutes and who is not reacting to rape guided by the things your asshole uncle drunkenly barked at dinner.

What a bizarre world this is in which an intelligent, healthy opinion might be attacked as a bleeding heart liberal reaction.

What a bizarre world this is in which an intelligent, healthy opinion might be attacked as a bleeding heart liberal reaction.

Thank you. I try. I know I'm a better man because of my wife, family, and friends. My work causes me to mix with a pretty diverse group of people, so I'm used to all sorts of names for my "liberal hippy" ways. ;)

Edited by LivingnLA

I think six months in jail is insufficient. What he'll find very difficult is a lifetime as a registered sex offender and finding a good job with three felony convictions related to sexual assault. Or maybe his family is rich.

Yes, is shameful!

He'll back on the streets with his baby face and preying on girls when he could just talk them into having sex with him.

I hope he'll have a criminal record, because unlike others he got caught...

Other than they not being job creators. ;p

Let's compare the job creation of Clinton, Bush and Obama... I wonder who lost more jobs, and I'm not even going to sodomy laws, and gay marriage and before you say it: DOMA as a law was a way to avoid it in the constitution.

Not al all, you sound like an intelligent, well-informed, well-meaning man who has thought about this subject more than two minutes and who is not reacting to rape guided by the things your asshole uncle drunkenly barked at dinner.

There's a whole party of ungrateful, uneducated, (mostly fat) people, who are resentful, don't trust science, don't believe in facts, are a mess in their own life yet talk about responsibility and keep falling for any cultural war (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) to feel good about themselves just by sitting in the sofa and yelling.

8d773e0b48e27b94631b91dafba748a5.jpg

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-FW934_presjo_G_20141205131028.jpg

Edited by marylander1940

While she may need some extensive counseling, there is no reason this event has to define and ruin her whole life. By her own testimony, she wasn't even conscious while it happened. And pelvic exams and blood draws are procedures almost all women have to go through during their lives. The last thing I want to do is minimize the seriousness of the crime. And I do think the rapist's sentence was too light. He should also be held liable financially for the cost of her counseling, which this woman apparently seriously needs, and other monetary losses she incurred. But I think it would be a mistake for her to live her whole life as nothing but a rape victim.

I wouldn't know how I would have reacted to something like that... but let's consider she's a young woman in college. Now a woman has to be perfect and go through "probation" (living with the guy out of wedlock) for a couple of years for him to even consider getting married, I'm sure a rape is a traumatizing experience considering a straight guy expect sex within the 2nd or 3rd date and he might move on without even calling back if she ain't perfect.

She got lucky to get some justice and I'm surprised the 2 other guys didn't join him in the rape, after all for them is just "getting pussy" joining a jock and say after that it was consensual, sad but true that now a days a jury would admit it makes sense.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/10/9/assault-no-grey-area/

Edited by marylander1940

Let's compare the job creation of Clinton, Bush and Obama... I wonder who lost more jobs, and I'm not even going to sodomy laws, and gay marriage and before you say it: DOMA as a law was a way to avoid it in the constitution.

There's a whole party of ungrateful, uneducated, (mostly fat) people, who are resentful, don't trust science, don't believe in facts, are a mess in their own life yet talk about responsibility and keep falling for any cultural war (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) to feel good about themselves just by sitting in the sofa and yelling.

8d773e0b48e27b94631b91dafba748a5.jpg

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-FW934_presjo_G_20141205131028.jpg

That was a lame attempt at a joke. The whole job creators propaganda is a diversionary tactic.

I wouldn't know how I would have reacted to something like that... but let's consider she's a young woman in college. Now a woman has to be perfect and go through "probation" (living with the guy out of wedlock) for a couple of years for him to even consider getting married, I'm sure a rape is a traumatizing experience considering a straight guy expect sex within the 2nd or 3rd date and he might move on without even calling back if she ain't perfect.

She got lucky to get some justice and I'm surprised the 2 other guys didn't join him in the rape, after all for them is just "getting pussy" joining a jock and say after that it was consensual, sad but true that now a days a jury would admit it makes sense.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/10/9/assault-no-grey-area/

Yes, there are plenty of dangerous men in our world, but let's please not disparage all men. The two graduate students who stumbled upon Brock Allen Turner raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster did the right thing. They chased him off, tackled him, and restrained him until the cops arrived.

Yes, there are plenty of dangerous men in our world, but let's please not disparage all men. The two graduate students who stumbled upon Brock Allen Turner raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster did the right thing. They chased him off, tackled him, and restrained him until the cops arrived.

No doubt, but what if he had been a friend or if they had been members of the swimming team?