Mapplethorpe: Look at the Pictures

marylander1940
This topic is 2973 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

this looks like it would be very good. The one thing I miss about HBO is their documentaries. I did not watch all of them but I did watch some

I was up at my mother's this past weekend for Easter and saw the Nora Ephron documentary which I did enjoy.

I very much like the HBO documentary "The Battle of amFAR", which features Dr. Mathilde Krim rather than Elizabeth Taylor. Dr.. Krim is 89-years old now.

Dr. Krim, a research scientist and co-founder of amFAR also moved easily in the world of politics and show business with her husband, Arthur Krim. Marilyn Monroe sang "Happy Birthday" to Pres. Kennedy before stoping at their house. They were even closer to Lady Bird and Lyndon Johnson. But, she is known mostly for amFAR. Amazing and interesting woman.

I've seen it and it is very good. Not a lot of really new info, but very thorough, straightforward ( pardon the expression) and some interesting interviewees. Plus, they show all the really dirty pictures, which are really just a tiny fraction of what he did, but which got so much of the attention.

Funny bit: He photographed his friend Fran Liebowitz and gave her a print of it. She threw it away.

He could be brilliant. Some of his things were just so beautiful and powerful, e.g., him with the proto-skull. Then again he could produce work that I just couldn't judge because they were so out of my element.

+1 for the doc about Dr. Krim. A brilliant, interesting person.

Archived