Grab a tissue

seaboy4hire
This topic is 2985 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In my mind, the nurses and Drs that looked over this lil huge miracle are truely angels that walk this earth. I can't even begin to imagine the sleepless nights, countless tears shed these two parents endured. One day I would like a child of my own, my own lil rebel rouser and I hope he or she is just as strong as this lil guy is http://shareably.net/dad-films-premature-baby-first-year-of-life/?utm_content=inf_10_3000_1&utm_source=TSE&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=TSE&tse_id=INF_6b4dfc4912574428bb7fa78ea3f3250c

Hugs,

Greg

That video and the story about Dr. Geraldi did bring tears to my eyes and memories of my Neonatology days decades ago. At that time the survival rate of babies at just over 700 Kg (1.5 lbs.) was dismal and very very few did not end up with problems. There was one baby, F.G., born at 650 grams (just a bit over a pound) who simply sat in his isolette in the nursery and grew and thrived with all of the attention he received from nurses, doctors, "grandparents", etc. - sadly his real parents were nowhere to be found - and he went home to a wonderful adoptive family at about 9 months of age!

He did not have a single problem other than feeding in the beginning.

One of my bosses is in his late thirties and was born a good two months early. He was rushed to the ONE incubator available. I'm not sure how or when his cerebral palsy began, but it's severe: unusable left hand and arm, catheter, no use of either leg...However, his brain is spot-on! He's funny as FUCK! Sometimes I wonder if his mind survived unscathed or if his formidable mental powers are merely what's left after the disease's ravaging of it. I try not to think about that.

T

• 2 weeks later...
One of my bosses is in his late thirties and was born a good two months early. He was rushed to the ONE incubator available. I'm not sure how or when his cerebral palsy began, but it's severe: unusable left hand and arm, catheter, no use of either leg...However, his brain is spot-on! He's funny as FUCK! Sometimes I wonder if his mind survived unscathed or if his formidable mental powers are merely what's left after the disease's ravaging of it. I try not to think about that.

T

I feel very lucky too. I have CP, but feel very lucky as my case is rather mild given the other children I was exposed to at the clinic for speech and physical therapy classes in the mid-late 1950s thru early 1960s.

Your bosses issue was his "left side", my issue is on my "right side". But again, I'm very lucky....

Because I was not a "jock" growing up, I focused on studies and went into computer sciences / career that has treated me well since my interest started in my early teens 50 years ago when the IBM 360 series was new......I became addicted to programming, esp understanding assemblers and machine architectures and then applying those learned skills for livelihood and professional friendships.

Only regret was wasted fear of 'coming out' (worried about security clearances, etc, etc), and thus personal side loss of maybe growing thru adulthood with my own Mr. Right. However the good news is positives this forum and YouTube have done helping educate me on my internalized sexually fears. Writers like Dan Savage, Andrew Tobias, David Sedaris have also assisted me in that start coming out process to real freedom that started a number of years ago to family, friends, neighbors. Its nice being true-self, transparent. Only regret now was not educating my Mom about my sexually and fears before she passed.

CP is not good, but I'm lucky. I learned to deal with it and professional life has been Ok. Sorry if this is a ramble to some but just wanted to put to words that being "out" has created personal freedom from fear, so even with CP, life is good.

http://cdn1.theodysseyonline.com/files/2016/01/09/635879090812526419-507476904_Life-is-good.JPG

Doug

Archived