Died ten years ago: John Profumo

FreshFluff
This topic is 3006 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Had affair with model-call girl-showgirl Christine Keeler, who also having an affair with some Soviet official. When asked, Profumo then lied to the House of Commons about it. He took his wife to Venice to confess, resigned, and spent the rest of his life repenting for it. He died on March 9, 2006.

The article quotes a limerick from the time of the affair:

"Oh what have you done?' said Christine. / You've disrupted the Party machine; / To lie in the nude is not very rude, / But to lie in the House is obscene. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1512656/John-Profumo.html

At the time of the scandal, Anthony Newley and Joan Collins, who were married, made a comedy album called "Fool Britannia" lampooning the whole mess. I still have it somewhere.

"I love you Christine

Ever since you were sisteen. (Cockney pronunciation)

I've been longing for you daily

Way down in Old Bailey

I will send you flowers and candy,

Cause I love you more than Mandy.

Thanking all the stars above

You are through with Ivanov.

Christine, I love you, oh, oh, oh, oh!

There was another girl, Mandy __?_______ involved, too and Ivanov was the Russian who collected the pillow talk secret info from Christine that she had gotten from Profumo. It seems so quaint today.

Archived