Florida Weather

Ignoto
This topic is 7188 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>You're saying it's "predictable" that something "might"

>happen? Seriously, do you ever actually read any of the

>nonsense you post here?

I know, it's just as stupid as predicting that the next time you have unprotected sex, you might acquire the HIV virus.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>You're saying it's "predictable" that something "might"

>happen? Seriously, do you ever actually read any of the

>nonsense you post here?

I know, it's just as stupid as predicting that the next time you have unprotected sex, you might acquire the HIV virus.

>>You're saying it's "predictable" that something "might"

>>happen? Seriously, do you ever actually read any of the

>>nonsense you post here?

>I know, it's just as stupid as predicting that the next time

>you have unprotected sex, you might acquire the HIV virus.

Whether the statement is stupid depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to give people information that could be of some value to them, then it is indeed a stupid and valueless statement. If all you are trying to do is bore and annoy people, on the other hand, that statement is likely to hit the target.

>>You're saying it's "predictable" that something "might"

>>happen? Seriously, do you ever actually read any of the

>>nonsense you post here?

>I know, it's just as stupid as predicting that the next time

>you have unprotected sex, you might acquire the HIV virus.

Whether the statement is stupid depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to give people information that could be of some value to them, then it is indeed a stupid and valueless statement. If all you are trying to do is bore and annoy people, on the other hand, that statement is likely to hit the target.

>>If all you are trying to do

>>is bore and annoy people, on the other hand, that statement

>is

>>likely to hit the target.

>Bill Clinton always wanted to have the last word too.

That's because the last word is the one people remember. It certainly worked for him.

> I think

>it's called a Type A personality.

Oh good, another amateur psychiatrist who thinks he can analyze people he's never even met because he's heard a few buzzwords on television. Like we didn't have enough of those already.

>>If all you are trying to do

>>is bore and annoy people, on the other hand, that statement

>is

>>likely to hit the target.

>Bill Clinton always wanted to have the last word too.

That's because the last word is the one people remember. It certainly worked for him.

> I think

>it's called a Type A personality.

Oh good, another amateur psychiatrist who thinks he can analyze people he's never even met because he's heard a few buzzwords on television. Like we didn't have enough of those already.

I have lived in florida all my life...

and honestly, I do not complain about weather one bit, unless it wasn't forecasted and it interferes with my plans then i tend to bitch just a little.. "it's too fuckin hot to go to disney world" lol...

but generally you learn to plan around things...

In Orlando, it rains almost the same time every afternoon, So I always run in mornings when Im visiting my dad.

In the panhandle... it's generally nice year round... bit rainy during april and august, but not too shabby at all.

In tampa... it rains frequently during the afternoons but not as much as Orlando.. I think there's more lightning though

Miami.. havent been there, i imagine it's nice :)

And as for hurricanes, I love them.

Gives you a reason to have a Vacation, and if you come back and everyhting is gone, you took enough to live with with you. And hopefully you have insurance on the things you should have had them on... cars... homes... Just make sure you take all that information with you on your vacation...

My family lost our home in the panhandle once... my mom just sold the property and bought a nicer house w/ the insurance check...

Sure the immediate situation sucks... but you live, learn, and laugh :)~

---Jaden's hurricane survival guide---

category 1-2 .. sit inside and watch lord of the rings trilogy when the hurricane arrives/is arriving. that or take a nap. I dont go into hurricane mode and watch the news 24/7 like some people do. it really isn't all that amazing, they just show newscasters going "the wind, it's just ... so strong, the wind... so strong... look at this trailer park, it's being pummelled by the strong wind.. the wind.. it's just so strong... look here, a grocery cart is being blown across the road... the wind... it's just so strong"

category 3 ... go visit an old friend who lives out of town a couple hours away or so...

category 4+ ... get out of there or you are asking to become a Darwin statistic.

~jaden out ;o)

>newscasters going "the wind, it's just ... so strong, the

>wind... so strong... look at this trailer park, it's being

>pummelled by the strong wind.. the wind.. it's just so

>strong...

<chuckle> That's SO true! The CNN newscasters showed the height of idiocy standing out in the wind (with the blowing debris), just to show how difficult it was to stand up. We GET it already! :7

My wishes go out to all who suffered in the hurricane, but these damage estimates are full of sh__. All things considered...it could have been worse. Lets pray they don't get Ivan as well.

I suffered a catastrophic financial loss in Tropical Storm Allison in Houston in 2001. FEMA can be very helpful to individual's in their losses, but if you are a business don't believe their BS. Don't invest any time going after their assistance. I've always wondered how many small business owners near the twin towers lost everything. x(

Yep,

Ivan could be aiming for us here in Florida...I am so tired of the storms this year. If it were like this every year, I think I would have to move away, but since this is home, I will ride it out for now!

GO AWAY IVAN...wonder if that will help any?

Guest Tristan

Cougar, I don't know where you live in Florida. The latest report has Ivan headed into the Gulf. So if it hits Florida, it will probably be the gulf side. On another note, the hurricane experts predicted the heavy hurricane activity and project that this pattern could be around for another decade. It's back to the 50s and 60s. So those of us in Florida will have to learn to accept it or leave.

>The latest

>report has Ivan headed into the Gulf. So if it hits Florida,

>it will probably be the gulf side.

Actually, the latest "consensus" of various models shows Ivan passing directly over Havana, then heading (take your pick) northwest, north or northeast toward (take your pick) Florida, Florida or Florida.

At Miami's latitude, the Gulf coast and the Atlantic coast of Florida are about 50 miles apart. Ask the people in Orlando, whether being 100 miles from landfall provides much safety.

Guest Tristan

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and just went through Francis. I'm well aware of the distance factors. So I don't need to ask anyone. Palm Beach County is just 30 miles north of me, and they got it a lot worse. About half a million people lost power, and many are still without power. Power has been restored to most of Broward County, where Lauderdale is. At the peak, 6 million people were without power. Many people in the central east coast are still without power or potable drinking water. They stand in long lines for hours just to get a bag of ice and a case of bottles of water.

We feel fortunate down here compared with these people. One fact that may not occur to people is that there are many elderly or disabled people in high rises without power. That means no elevator and no AC. They are trapped in their apartments and are unable to get supplies or see their doctors. Given the influx of retirees in past years, this storm had the largest impact on the senior population to date.

I just checked a map for the approximate distance between the east and west coasts of Florida. Alligator Alley, which connects Lauderdale with Naples is about 100 miles and is the main road for going from coast to coast. Just wanted to set the record straight. I'm not saying that 100 miles is enough to protect you from damaging winds and rain in a large storm. We were still getting rain bands from Francis when it was hitting Tampa.

We'll just have to wait and see while people replace their supplies down here. Even Ivan doesn't know where it's going to go. Maybe Scottie will beam up Ivan and send it into deep space.

Keys Being Evacuated. No, not THAT Keyes

>I just checked a map for the approximate distance between the

>east and west coasts of Florida. Alligator Alley, which

>connects Lauderdale with Naples is about 100 miles and is the

>main road for going from coast to coast. Just wanted to set

>the record straight.

I agree completely that at the latitude of Ft. Lauderdale, the Florida peninsula is about 100 miles wide. However, it rapidly narrows as you travel south. At Miami, it's closer to 70 miles; you have to go another 20 miles south, to around Homestead, before it's only 50 miles wide.

(Still having nasty images of the Illinois Republican senatorial candidate being given an enema....)

Archived