Judy G-Maybe Not At Her Best-But Still Incredibly Good!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gman, I saw Judy Garland perform a full concert at Boston Garden in October 1961. This song was recorded for a Garland TV special a month or so later.

It's the closest I can get to how Judy sang live in person.

Just incredible!!

Gman

I've posted this here before, but this is one of the best.....great staging, camera work, and that voice.....compare this to today's overstaged, electronically modified, marginally talented schlock.....

To be off subject. But I just remembered when you talked about 'electronics'-when Andrea McArdle performed Annie, she was un-miked. That's a lot of power for a little girl to reach the back of an enormous theater.

Gman

This is the song that most people who watched "The Judy Garland Show" in 1963-1964 remember.. She wanted to pay tribute to Pres. Kennedy who was assassinated a few weeks before. CBS was not happy and cut her comment, "This is for you, Jack." It may not be her best moment vocally, but it is emotionally.

I've posted this here before, but this is one of the best.....great staging, camera work, and that voice.....compare this to today's overstaged, electronically modified, marginally talented schlock.....

I don't think she has ever been better than this!

• 1 month later...
Damn the movie studio for giving her those pills! Ok I am sure they didn't know they would be abused but still.....

Hugs,

Greg

It wasn't the pills the studio doctors gave her that killed her

it was the lifetime of other abuses and too much barbiturate that did her in

This is the song that most people who watched "The Judy Garland Show" in 1963-1964 remember.. She wanted to pay tribute to Pres. Kennedy who was assassinated a few weeks before. CBS was not happy and cut her comment, "This is for you, Jack." It may not be her best moment vocally, but it is emotionally.

Perhaps not her best vocally...but you are right, it was emotional.

My bad... I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Judge Judy.

For some reason I got neither the Judy gene, nor the Liza one either. Sorry!:( However, I do appreciate her talents and did enjoy listening. So not a bad mistake.

I understand what you mean. I'm not a Diva worshipper by any means. But I certainly recognize and enjoy Judy's talent.

Gman

I understand what you mean. I'm not a Diva worshipper by any means. But I certainly recognize and enjoy Judy's talent.

Gman

Well I am a diva worshiper in the sense that I got the Maria Callas gene. Not sure if you have seen my postings elsewhere in the Arts Forum, but simply based on those I think I would qualify for the title.

However, I am not blind to her defects. Just as Garland went though a downward spiral in her career, so did Callas. However, just as the "Not at her best" title of this thread implies, both singers even when not at the top of their game were often able to work their special magic. Both possessed a certain quality that eluded others in their respective fields.

You might be interested to read Hugh Martin's evaluation of how she chose to do this song (see his memoirs). Apparently he thought she did it better in another key.

The pills, though, were a damned good start sending her downhill

The pills were only one of many problems. Some child stars learn how to manage their money. Judy Garland never learned. She was always broke. Near the end of her life Judy was basically homeless, sleeping on the floor of Liza's friends' apartments. She trusted too many people to handle her money who stole from her. It was clearly partly her fault for neglecting such an important part of her life.

As I result, Garland had to perform when she was on drugs --- there was no money to take time off.

Sinatra asked his lawyer-manager to take care of Liza's money. As a result she is fairly well off financially.

Judy's drug addiction was the result of how little was known of the effects of amphetamines at the time. My Mother suffered from amphetamine addiction. My Grandmother revealed that when my mother was 15 and about to enter High School, she had become chubby. My Grandmother took her to the Doctor, who prescribed Dexedrine ( in 1945). This was considered quite "normal". We could always tell when Mom was back on the pills, she would suddenly drop 20 lbs, and the house would be spotless.

You can see Judy off the pills in most of Summer Stock her last MGM film. Gene Kelly agreed to do the film as a favor to Garland so she could get out of her contract. Kelly often said that Garland was a very underrated dancer, and in this number she holds her own quite well. Notice how the costume designer has tried to slim her with visual tricks in her dress.

She spent two months working with a " hypnotist" and lost 20 lbs. before she came back and shot Get Happy. You can see the difference in her face and body.

Here is Judy before all the pills, and marriages, and problems would overtake her. Here is Judy Garland before she became Judy Garland, when she was still Frances Gumm, one of the Gumm Sisters, also known as Baby Gumm. This recording was made in 1935 shortly before she became Judy Garland and signed with MGM. She was 13 years old.

Here is Judy before all the pills, and marriages, and problems would overtake her. Here is Judy Garland before she became Judy Garland, when she was still Frances Gumm, one of the Gumm Sisters, also known as Baby Gumm. This recording was made in 1935 shortly before she became Judy Garland and signed with MGM. She was 13 years old.

I wish they hadn't filtered the sounds so much. Thanks for posting this. What a voice for a teen!

Archived