Acne - Any Good Non-Prescription Treatments?

guptasa1
This topic is 7191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows any decent topical acne stuff that works pretty well?

I've unfortunately had a long battle with acne. My latest fight with it went well - got rid of almost all of it (especially that on my back - yuk; now it's pretty clear though). However, my treatment used antibiotics fairly long-term (not that good for you from what I understand).

I got off of that recently per the doctor's request and still use some topical solutions, but unfortunately it seems I'm getting a few here and there again, and I'm worried it may come back. (Hopefully it's just a temporary flareup and will go away though.) I certainly want to try whatever I can to prevent that.

I really don't wish to go on antibiotics again, and I'm not sure about my other choices. (I heard good things about prescription Acutane, but I'm not sure it's safe for me to take that.) Anybody know any good non-prescrip stuff that *WORKS* well?

Thanks,

Shaun

Heard of it (and heard good things as well). The main reason I didn't try it is it's actually like...3 or 4 products you use, which is a little annoying. But then, I guess that also makes it much more likely to work than an apply-once product. =oP Maybe it's time to consider it.

I hate the stuff I'm currently using. The one product bleaches most of what it touches (clothes, etc.), and the other's prescription and very expensive. Maybe if this worked well enough, it could replace it.

Thanks for the tip. I'll at least seriously consider it.

Proactiv is a very good product. I have never used it myself but I know someone who has and it worked very well for them. The only disadvantage is that you have to get it through the mail.

Another really great skin care line is Murad. Their website is http://www.murad.com. The have products that are comparable to Proactive and they are available in stores as well. I have used their stuff (and still do) and since I started to use it my breakouts have been minimal. (I would not get much acne, but it has been even less withthe help of their stuff) They are sold retail in alot of locations and you can search for their line by entering your zip code on their website. They do have a 3 step process that you can use.

Two other things that might help is changing your diet and taking Flaxseed Oil. At least in me, if I drink pop or soda, that can cause me to breakout. Your diet can help. Flushing your system with at least a gallon of water a day is also good. Your body will adjust to the increased amount of water you are giving it.

Here is a link to tell you about Flaxseed oil. You can buy the actual oil or an easier form is in the form of capsules.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1%2C1525%2C783%2C00.html

I discovered it 8 months ago and have noticed a difference in my appearence.

Guest msclonly

PROACTIV is an excellent product.

The three bottles are not a big deal for a problem, that DRS do not know how to treat. Yet, charge many hundreds of dollars for visits and prescribtions.

First, You clean your face with the scrub, and use the clear solution, followed by the Lotion.

It that so difficult?

You CLEAN up your Diet to the MAX, if you are really serious about improving. There are no products that can compete with a rotten diet.

Guest bigTom

RE: PROACTIV is an excellent product.

The cause of acne is obstruction of the oil glands in the skin and subsequent infection of the gland. The bacteria normally on the skin get into the gland and breakdown the sebum to free fatty acids which then cause the inflammation of the skin. Topical antibiotics can be effective. The bacteria quickly become resistent to the antibiotic but the antibiotic still blocks the breakdown of the sebum into the free fatty acids. Benzyl peroxide is a commonly used topical antibiotic that is available in many nonprescription acne medications. the concentration of the benzyl peroxide needed is 5 to 10%. Diet has never been documented to be much of a factor in acne. Avoid the use of lotions or hydrocortisone on the face. Vigorous scrubbing does not treat the underlying cause of acne.:-)

RE: PROACTIV is an excellent product.

A few replies folks. =o)

I may give proactive a try. Couldn't hurt, and it's probably no more complex than what I'm doing now.

In regards to diet, my diet's not that bad. It isn't great sometimes, but I try to eat balanced as often as possible, and usually I'd say I do pretty well. And as someone mentioned, I think diet affecting acne is a myth - at least, that's what I've read before.

Oh, and the antibiotic I was taking was in pill form, not topical.

Additionally, what I'm on now is Benzoyl Peroxide 10% (that's the stuff that bleaches most of what it touches - ick) and Differen Gel.

Thanks all!

Here are some links to a couple of sites that give good and impartial advice. The first couple are from the UK National Health Service site and give the conventional medicine view. (This site is incidentally a good source of information on most conditions and has a self-diagnosis section. The telephone referral service is run by nurses although some sections recommend consulting primary care physians or "G.P."s. Outside the UK you should of course refer to your usual facilities. The 999 service is the emergency number for ambulance and paramedic help, like 911 in the US or 112 for virtually the whole of Europe, including the UK, and many other countries)

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/enr.asp?TopicID=4&AreaID=23&LinkID=4

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/SelfHelp/conditions/acne/acne.asp

The second is the BBC site which gives some alternatives like tea tree oil and includes some speculative information based on limited research (like the section on diet)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/acne.shtml#treatment

A couple of points. You will read the root cause is skin pores being blocked. Obviously anything that opens up the pores to allow them to clear will help. Steam baths or saunas have this effect and the increased sweat flow can flush the pores.

Secondly, take the point about "friendly bacteria" on the skin. You can also help your body fight infection if your immune system is not challenged by other low-level bacteria attack at the same time. If you have been on anti-biotics, your stomach bio-flora will be messed up so things like the special pro-biotic drinks or live yoghurt are advised. Yoghurt can also be used locally by applying, leaving and rinsing off with plain water. This floods the skin bacteria with the yoghurt bacteria (the same treatment is suggested for women with thrush).

Guest msclonly

Diet is the basis of all your physical well-being, and that

...includes the skin and getting ACNE!

The medical approach protects the antibiotic treatments and dismisses any other treatment. A high fat and sugar diet is NOT good for anyone. Yet just watch the majority of people order to drink and eat in a restaurant.

What if I asked you what do you drink with your meals and what do you consider a 'balanced' diet?

Are you aware the Proactiv program was put together by two Dermatologists for the cheap price of $39.95?

The Cleansing scrub will help remove the oils to open the pores, while the solution will help dry they out and heal. And with the Lotion will help generate new layers of skin cells.

The chances of over hydrating with a gallon of water a day will be very good. You will know that, when you experience dizziness for the red blood cells being too diluted.

Don't be afraid to swith to Green and Red Tea to clean out the body, which includes the skin.

Remember the same blood vessels that feed the skin, feed the brain!

So you have an idea of what is happening to the brain, heart, etc.

RE: Diet is the basis of all your physical well-being, and that

Thanks all for the advice. Looked most of it over, and I think I may try ProActiv. As I said, my skin is fairly clear right now with just a few, but I want to keep it that way and don't want to get anywhere near where I was before the antibiotics.

I appreciate all the ideas like saunas etc. and the helpful links. I may try some of that too.

In response to the following:

>What if I asked you what do you drink with your meals and what

>do you consider a 'balanced' diet?

My diet habits used to be a lot worse than they are now, especially in college (Who's isn't? LOL). However, for the last while (more than a year), I've improved quite a bit. I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day (several 12 oz glasses at least). I also tend to like fruit juice (orange, prune, etc.) I do sometimes have coffees and teas, usually sweetened with an artificial sweetener if I sweeten them at all (often I don't). When I eat out at restaurants, I DO sometimes treat myself to a non-diet soft drink or a sweetened iced tea, BUT for the most part, I only drink diet soda and drinks. I might have an average of a couple non-diet drinks per month.

For me, a balanced diet is a little of everything, but in nicely sized portions. I do try to get my share of fruits and vegetable, and also meats and grains. *shrugs* Sometimes I have more fast food than I should or whatever, but for the most part, I think I do pretty well in eating healthy.

I also take some great vitamins/supplements.

>The chances of over hydrating with a gallon of water a day

>will be very good. You will know that, when you experience

>dizziness for the red blood cells being too diluted.

>Don't be afraid to swith to Green and Red Tea to clean out the

>body, which includes the skin.

>Remember the same blood vessels that feed the skin, feed the

>brain!

>So you have an idea of what is happening to the brain, heart,

>etc.

Hmmm? I actually feel much better since I've been drinking more waters and teas, etc. (Usually green tea or black tea for me.)

Thanks again all!

Acutane

My friend works in ProActiv's internet department and says that all those testimonials are really true...that Cher and Britney really do call in for emergency replenishments. He swears by it himself and most people agree that as far as non-prescription treatments go, it's one of the best.

I use Cetaphil for my face but use Dial Anitbacterial twice a week at night instead. It is nice and strong for killing bacteria that will cause acne, but since used sparingly doesn't dry you out. If you have a problem with your back I'd use the Dial everyday. Exfoliation is always nice and you don't need to spend a lot of money on an exfoliant.

As far as Acutane goes, I would *not* recommend it for anything that wasn't severe. I was on it when I was 15-16 and it is hardcore. You have to get your blood drawn every week to test for high cholestorol and heart attack risk. Kids have actually had heart attacks from it. It's a pretty severe medicine too. There have been like 80 associated suicides while on it, so it's often prescribed with anti-depressants now. Not to mention it's like $500 every two weeks plus blood work, so if you don't have insurance it's oftly costly considering you have to be on it between 3 months and a year. However, it works so well and results are long term. I have never had a problem with acne since I was on it and my skin has escaped blemish free without any scarring.

Good luck and I hope you can cull something out of all this advice!

Guest msclonly

Acutane is protected by the pharmaceutical company and Dermatologists who need the business of prescribing it.

It is a nasty drug, and hard on the liver!

Why do you think 'diet' drinks are healthy or healthier then none 'diet' stuff?

Your diet is still 'bad' until you clean it up totally!

;(

Proactiv is great product, but...

Just remember to cycle off of it every two months or so, as your skin will get used to the product and produce more pore-clogging oil, thus killing any progress you once had. I would cycle off of it for about two weeks, simply using Bobby's advice on Cetaphil or Dial Antibacterial.

My face stays totally clear thanks to Proactiv: I'm also next in line to promote the stuff. I'm kicking Vanessa Williams's ass outta there and will be shedding on-cam tears of joy sometime in the next six weeks.

Be afraid Cher, be very afraid :)

Warmest Always,

Benjamin Nicholas

Just a quick update for everybody. =o)

Ordered some ProActiv and I'm trying it now. I'm a little concerned about how well it's going to work, but we'll see.

As of right now, I'm a little more broken out than before (not terrible, but a few more), but then I've been using it for only 3 or 4 days.

The other problem is since I use it on most of my body, I'm afraid I'm going to run out of it rather quickly. But I may do as Ben suggests and cycle it.

Now the only other issue is a sore I got on my cock base that's driving me nuts. LOL! (No, it isn't STD related - I just got tested last week [not because of that - it was just time]...I think it's either a zit or more likely a pulled hair follicle...but I'm open to ideas - heh).

Thanks for all the compliments. Hopefully this stuff will work for me too.

any time I ever start using something new on my face, sometimes I do get a few breakouts afterwards

Do not give up and give it a few weeks. You are using something foreign on your skin that you never had before. Sometimes there can be a slight reaction before your skin gets used to it. Just follow the instructions that come with the products. That is the key to their effectiveness

Oh, and regarding Acutane, given some of the other side effects and the depression, I don't think it's a safe bet to try, and thanks for clarifying that - knew it was dangerous, but not that dangerous. In fact, since I have clinical depression, I highly doubt they'd even give it to me. I'd rather use something topical if possible.

Archived