Vincent Van Gogh Movie

Gar1eth
This topic is 2032 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 years later...

I just saw this. I am always behind on everything because I still get the disc Netflix (I know, HISS). At any rate, if you have never seen it I would recommend it. I did not know that much about Vincent Van Gogh so the narrative was interesting for me. However, it is not the narrative that was the most fascinating part for me (though I never realized that he only painted for about 8 years and produced over 2000 works of art, besides probably being the father of Modern Art). Its cinematography is what is incredible. It appears to be the usual animation but in actuality each frame of the movie is individually hand-painted on canvas in the style of Van Gogh. There are live actors but they are also individually painted in each frame after being photographed doing the action. The main character (who is not Vincent) is played by a guy who is really handsome (if you need an extra incentive). Very occasionally you will see one or two of the actors in regular film but that is seldom. There were 100 painters involved to paint the 65,000 frames. It took four years to complete. So, if you would like to see an interesting film with incredible cinematography this is a good one. It is very much like the movie The Russian Ark by Alexander Sokurov, not in how it is filmed but how incredible the cinematography is done. The Russian Ark is an hour and a half long movie filmed in one take, no cuts. So if a mistake was made the director had to start from the beginning and go again. To make it more stressful the director was allowed to film in the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg and thus only had only one day to complete the film. Considering the topic and the fact that there were hundreds of people involved in the cast it is unbelievable it was done. That film is one that absolutely should be seen if you have not done so. It has been judged by many to be in the top ten Russian films ever made. Any way Loving Vincent is also fascinating and I really recommend it.

I had no idea Netflix even still sent out discs anymore.

But I will watch the movie haha

For the technologically slow they do it. I think it probably has something to do with the Americans with Developmental Disability Act. Actually, from what I have been told you can only get certain movies on disc. I do not know if that is true. At any rate, it works for me.

I hope that "haha" did not mean that you will not watch it because I get discs.

No I meant I WILL watch the movie.

(Parenthetically it’s Americans with Disabilities Act. It covers all disabilities. Developmental disabilities would just be a tiny subset).

Sorry. I meant that as a bit of humor. I was alluding to my seeming inability to learn any kind of recent technology so that I would seem developmentally disabled.

Sorry. I meant that as a bit of humor. I was alluding to my seeming inability to learn any kind of recent technology so that I would seem developmentally disabled.

LOL. One of my happiest days was when DVR replaced VHS.

Edited by g56whiz