Muscle Milk

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 3023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use one scoop of it mixed with water immediately after most gym visits.....my trainer put me on it and I very much trust him......he's very much into low sugar and one scoop of it only has 2g

of course, lean protein throughout the day is important, too

If your question is about protein supplements, take BCAA before or during the workout. BCAA are broken down protein. And a scoop of whey protein, preferably isopure as Kuriousity mentioned, after the workout.

You should also think about how much protein you consume during the day, not just before during and after a workout.

I get 30 grams of protein with only 1 gram of sugar and 140 calories per scoop from a whey protein isolate. Doesn't sound like a big difference, but it adds up. I do 3 scoops on gym days between the pre workout and post workout shake and one scoop on off days. That's 1300 calories -- or half of a day's calorie allowance -- per week.

As with anything, it depends on your goals and the rest of your diet. But if you aren't trying to gain muscle, you probably want the leanest, low calorie protein possible.

There are as many opinions as there are trainers. My trainer thinks you should only use Muscle Milk if you are bulking. :)

In your opinion, would the Zero/Low Carb version be best for lean muscle? I get limited carbs in one meal. The rest is veggies and lean meats or egg

Carbs are good and your body needs them just don't have to many during the day. I use the low carb version myself because I watch my weight and have a slow metabolism. I would avoid muscle milk I have heard it has a lot of filler

In your opinion, would the Zero/Low Carb version be best for lean muscle? I get limited carbs in one meal. The rest is veggies and lean meats or egg

If you must eat carbs, go with "slow burn" type carbs. Evolutionarily speaking, you do not need many carbs, since ancient man consumed far more fat than carbs....and those carbs they did eat were generally berries or fruits like apples or bananas. If you are looking to lean out, consider a round of MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides). FHats are an energy source, but they burn slower, so you feel a tad sluggish. This is where ketogenic dieting kicks in....however, you can only go into ketogenic states for short periods before adverse effects happen.

Interesting fun fact---for every 20-30 pounds a man loses, he gains an inch in penis length.....

If you must eat carbs, go with "slow burn" type carbs. Evolutionarily speaking, you do not need many carbs, since ancient man consumed far more fat than carbs....and those carbs they did eat were generally berries or fruits like apples or bananas. If you are looking to lean out, consider a round of MCTs (Medium Chain Triglycerides). FHats are an energy source, but they burn slower, so you feel a tad sluggish. This is where ketogenic dieting kicks in....however, you can only go into ketogenic states for short periods before adverse effects happen.

Interesting fun fact---for every 20-30 pounds a man loses, he gains an inch in penis length.....

Just lost 30 pounds. I hope it's true!!!!!!!

I didn't realize this. I'm on meds for cholesteral and should probable get my levels checked again pretty soon. :eek:

Please do, some proteins raise levels more than others, I do believe muscle milk is one I heard from a nutritionist that does, I would love to hear your workout routine, if you want to private email me I may be able to offer you some pointers.

At my stage of the game I'm trying too preserve what I have left. I think that it's important to exercise wisely and eat wisely. I really think that doing so will almost eliminate the need for special supplements. I get the vast majority of my protein from vegetable sources, nuts, Fage Greek yogurt, chicken, and eggs on occasion. Lean red meat (and I emphasize lean) is limited to at the most twice a week. The days that I do weights I emphasize the protein. The days that I do aerobics I tend to eat more carbs. I'm not sure if there is any science behind this, but it works for me. The only so-called "supplement" that I use is a high protein drink. (Slimfast makes one that is NOT their diet concoction as does Six Star, EAS, and others.) All have at least 20 grams of protein per 11 ounce bottle. I mix a small amount to flavor the Greek yogurt so that each bottle lasts at least a few days. As such I consider it a flavor enhancer that just happens to be high in protein and technically is a supplement.

I am not preaching and saying that this gospel. One needs to look at their individual situation and as I mentioned in another thread "listen to your body" as it will never let you down and then decide what is best. We are all different and as such need to consider what others have to say and then adapt things accordingly for what best suits our individual situations.

Archived