close all water-tight doors......

cougar
This topic is 7225 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, it looks like our luck is finally running out on dodging hurricanes....Charley is going to be a direct hit here on us in Tampa Bay, Florida Looks like at 5 or 6 tonight we will feel the winds of this cat 2 or 3 storm with sustained winds close to 120+ mph. I have been around the Florida coast my whole life, but never had to go through a direct hit with a storm this size.

Your mind races, what will I do if the house sustains heavy damage, I already know I will be without power for several days and possibly no fresh drinking water. Food & water is stocked; I have made pictures of the house and property, now all I can do is wait.

To HooBoy, thanks for the sight here, keep it going, we will be back.......might be longer than a week.

Guest Tampa Yankee

I hope that you are evacuating. The tidal surge from a direct hit will be devastating to much of Piinellas Co and all coastal parts of Hillsborough Co. I expect my childhood home five blocks from Old Tampa Bay to be washed away or as good as... A direct hit will put it under water.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Safe from the storm surge because it is in-land but it will get plenty of rain and winds. On present course it seems likely that it will be on the weaker west side of the storm. If so then it will escape the max brunt of the winds with reduced tornado potential. However, a small change in the path and all bets are off.

>However, a small change in the path

>and all bets are off.

TY, our luck came back today, just in the nick of time. Hurricane Charley made of the those famous unpredicitable turns to the west and Tampa Bay was spared again. We had done so much to protect our property and lives and to see the system make that unexpected turn was nice for us, but tragic for Port Charlotte, FL Hurricane Charley came ashore as a cat 4 storm with sustained winds of 145+ mph. I am sure there will be widespread damage including alot of severe structural damage to buildings and major beach erosion. Pinellas and Hillsborough counties had untaken the largest evacuation in history to prepare for this storm. Right now I am exhausted and will take a nap.....been a long 24 hours here.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Good news that isn't all good.

Congrats on the fickle turn by Charlie. It saved tremendous damage and disaster on a wide scale and more personally to you and my family and friends. My heart goes out to Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Sanibel, Marco and surrounding communities. Reports already have 'significant loss of life'. And it would have been much worse in the more populated Tampa Bay area.

Guest Tampa Yankee

Good news that isn't all good.

Congrats on the fickle turn by Charlie. It saved tremendous damage and disaster on a wide scale and more personally to you and my family and friends. My heart goes out to Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Sanibel, Marco and surrounding communities. Reports already have 'significant loss of life'. And it would have been much worse in the more populated Tampa Bay area.

RE: Devastation caused by Charley

I've been in touch with Florida board members Duke and John Pela, both are doing ok. Duke is staying with friends who have electricity and a/c. As soon as things are up and running he'll fill us in.... Duke tells me that the Red Cross is doing a lot in providing assistance for the hurricane victims. Perhaps they could also use our support.

Guest showme43

lucked out here at my house in west part of O-town, still have electricity on and very, very minor damage.

know many not so lucky and unfortunately some fatalities down south part of Florida

Morning All, The west side of the eye passed directly over my house as I resided inside a closet in the center of the house. The house vibrated, shook but held tight. Fortunate that all I have is lots of cleaning up and trees gone. Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda was right after me and Punta Gorda was nearly leveled. It will be days until they know the real story. I have so very much to be thankful for. Allen

Central Florida is a mess. Thousands of trees down all over Orlando and Kissimmee. The falling trees and limbs did most of the damage to homes. Many still without electric six days later. The eye of Charley came right up Interstate 4 to Daytona. Even if people get the insurance co. to look at the damage, try to find a contractor to fix anything right now. News of Orlando to the rest of the world was was not much. People here told me, Gov. Bush wanted it that way. They did not want to run off the tourist business!

Archived