Weight Watchers

actor61
This topic is 3055 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've never been an Oprah fan and now I think she has really jumped the shark! Her ad for Weight Watchers is just about the silliest commercial I've ever seen. She sits there gurgling, "I LOVE bread. I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE bread!" But I guess it's effective because Weight Watchers shares have jumped 20% per the news reports and she made 19 million on paper in 1 day. When I see the ad, it seems a little subversive to me - is she talking about bread, the real stuff, or bread, the money?!

What I find odd about Oprah’s Weight Watcher’s investment and spokesperson position is that the one thing she’s never been successful at is maintaining her desired weight.

Which makes her just like MOST people who struggle with their weight.

So, from a marketing POV, (a.) she's an excellent "fit" for the products/service of Weight Watchers, (b.) someone who, despite her celebrity status, other people of size can identify with and (c.) there are few who have ever been more effective at persuading folks to think, or do, or pay attention to what she thinks they ought to think, or do, or pay attention to.

... I guess it's effective because Weight Watchers shares have jumped 20% per the news reports and she made 19 million on paper in 1 day.

Um-hmmmm.

What I find odd about Oprah’s Weight Watcher’s investment and spokesperson position is that the one thing she’s never been successful at is maintaining her desired weight.

That's because she's always gone so extreme in her diets. She went on "diets" rather than changing her diet permanently. I lost 60 pounds using Weight Watchers principles without ever going to one of their stupid meetings. Have kept it off for over 8 years because it permanently changed the way I eat and my activity level.

Nicely done, Mikey!

I worried about Oprah WAAAYY back when she did that OptiFast craziness. (Remember her coming onto the show pulling the lil' red wagon of all her excess weight?) I wonder if her metabolism isn't permanently out of whack.

T

Archived