Permanent Time Out

Kuriousity
This topic is 3033 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that normal folk would consider it a Blasphemy! However, I ain't "normal folk"!

Plus after reading your previous posting I felt this demonic need to further scramble up your brain! o_O

:)

With the name Whipped, I thought there was something deep, dark hidden inside you. :) Are there any exorcists in the house? .. :)

Whipped.... If we can help you in any way, we're here for you... and if not, it's blasphemy that you do not like salt or butter on your popcorn and you eat unsalted, dry baked potato... I say, blasphemy! . . :) :)

I like my baked spuds with lots of butter sour cream salt pepper salsa and cheese

Hugs,

Greg

I think he is referring to the "ignore" feature, which is not permanent. Profies can be "unignored."

I agree that's what he's referring to. Plus there are all these other posts that either quote mine or make no sense without context. But it is a confusing use of terminology. And people have been jumped on and yelled at, neither of which I've done, by others for much less.

I came to the thread expecting a discussion of what a permanent time-out means or how it happens. Instead the OP is crowing about his use of the ignore function, complete with self-congratulatory gif! It struck me as an odd way to start a thread.

Oh great then let QTR pass it back to you as I loaded the top layer with salt - can't get enough of it. ;)

No can do lots of salt (some is fine), but I love good buttered popcorn.

Got super worked up over the prospect of that, eh? :D

I imagine each one of us at various times have wished we could wave a magic wand and put someone (or several someones) on a permanent time-out, but as I mentioned, that's Daddy's prerogative. It's all part of what makes him Daddy.

So how exactly this "ignore" feature works? I'm sure it blocks private messages, but what about posts in the public forums?

I haven't used it here, but if it's anything like Twitter (where you have blocked someone or they have their Tweets protected) you just don't see their messages. It can make a thread a little choppy. I imagine that you will still see that person's message if someone else quotes it, but don't know for sure.

So how exactly this "ignore" feature works? I'm sure it blocks private messages, but what about posts in the public forums?

Very simple...At the top of the page is your username. Drag the mouse over it and a drop box will appear. About half way down the second column you will see "People You Ignore". Click on that and you will see "Member to Ignore"..type in any member you choose, and click 'Save Changes'...that's it.

As MikeyGMin mentions, it does make the thread a bit choppy, because anyone you ignore, you will not see their post.

I think it's just as easy not to read a post from an offending member, but that's just me. Good luck

I agree with your last comment @bigvalboy , I don't need an "ignore" function to ignore somebody. I don't see the pro at least you are so intolerant that you need to vanish somebody. And I only see cons, as mentioned before by BVB and by @quoththeraven , you would miss context and continuity in threads. I will ignore the ignore feature.

I agree with your last comment @bigvalboy , I don't need an "ignore" function to ignore somebody. I don't see the pro at least you are so intolerant that you need to vanish somebody. And I only see cons, as mentioned before by BVB and by @quoththeraven , you would miss context and continuity in threads. I will ignore the ignore feature.

While I agree with you, there unfortunately are times when an offending members actions can become intolerant, and notifying that member that you have placed them on ignore will usually stop the harrassment. After all, people who engage in that kind of behavior, do so only because they feel that you are reading their posts, and will hopefully respond., so that they can continue. If they are on ignore, well then, what's the point.

The ignore function can also be useful when one finds oneself responding too viscerally to someone's posts and veering toward the snippy in one's replies. Of the two people I have on ignore, that was the reason for the first one, well over a year after I joined and started posting.

The second one is more of a warning system. Quite often I will click to see the ignored content anyway. But at least I know in advance that odds are good that it will be high-handed and/or insulting, and if I'm not in the mood for it, I can avoid seeing it at all.

I also stop reading threads, temporarily or permanently, or skip them entirely if they look like they're more drama than they're worth. I also do not rubberneck at accidents and have not watched footage of the 9/11 attacks even though they took place not far from where I live. I realize that may make me a unicorn. (Apologies to Unicorn.)

This whole thread is so confusing. What was the OP on about, anyway? I read it all to the end, but still don't understand the original purpose. Ive had a few slaps on the hand when i have failed to follow the rules or be clear in my questions. It stung a little, but no real harm was done. I haven't found anyone, except Bozo, I can't tolerate, and I just don't read him, just like I don't watch Fox News or Donald Trump. I don't understand the real point of this thread. Oh well, everyday can't be crystal clear.

This whole thread is so confusing ... I read it all to the end, but still don't understand the original purpose.

I'll venture a guess, Glennnn, that that's because you're a nice guy, not inclined to snark or rudeness, unlikely to call anyone a "dumbass" or a "snotty little cunt," let alone "sweetums" (ouch!) -- so I wouldn't give it another thought -- just belly up to the banquet table (Greg is bringing nachos!) and enjoy the company.

Archived