Healthy? Not really.

jackjackjack
This topic is 3065 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We've been told over the years, red wine is bad, now it's good, now it's bad. Coffee bad then good. Eggs bad then good..... and so on. The government food pyramid has been wrong for decades.

Here's an interesting article in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/no-food-is-healthy-not-even-kale/2016/01/15/4a5c2d24-ba52-11e5-829c-26ffb874a18d_story.html

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rarely ever pay attn to what the gov tells me whats healthy any more. If eating eaggs, bacon, gravy, wine, butter, a good beer from time to time etc was good enough for my grandparents who lived into their 70s then it is good enough for me! The problem with Americans and I see this on the daily since I work in a grocery store, they buy processed SHIT! Pure and utter SHIT! And they cant get it through their idiot skulls why they're bigger than a fucking house, have high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Americans as a whole are lazy! They don't want to take the time and actually prepare a nutritional meal. They'd rather pop open a box of mac n cheese and call it good. Augh! BARF!

Hugs,

Greg

I rarely ever pay attn to what the gov tells me whats healthy any more. If eating eaggs, bacon, gravy, wine, butter, a good beer from time to time etc was good enough for my grandparents who lived into their 70s then it is good enough for me! The problem with Americans and I see this on the daily since I work in a grocery store, they buy processed SHIT! Pure and utter SHIT! And they cant get it through their idiot skulls why they're bigger than a fucking house, have high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Americans as a whole are lazy! They don't want to take the time and actually prepare a nutritional meal. They'd rather pop open a box of mac n cheese and call it good. Augh! BARF!

Hugs,

Greg

This made me LOL. Literally.

T

Hugs,

Greg

they also need to relearn portion control and moderation. do they really need to put 3 inches of butter on that hungry man mashed potatoes!

they also need to relearn portion control and moderation. do they really need to put 3 inches of butter on that hungry man mashed potatoes!

That prob isnt really butter and does one really need to eat that hungry man tv dinner? With that said, eat what you want but don't fucking cry for me Argentina when you are having health issues.

Hugs,

Greg

There's nothing wrong with butter, cream, eggs, meats, (NOT HOT DOGS.. haha), etc. We were raised that these are bad, that fat is bad. It's the opposite... these are a good source of protein, calcium. And what we were taught... eat pasta, bread, juice, potatoes... all are heavy in carbs. Drinking a glass of orange juice has as much or more sugar than a soft drink.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. :)

That prob isnt really butter and does one really need to eat that hungry man tv dinner? With that said, eat what you want but don't fucking cry for me Argentina when you are having health issues.

Hugs,

Greg

You're right. . It's not the butter.... it's what you put the butter on. :)

There's nothing wrong with butter, cream, eggs, meats, (NOT HOT DOGS.. haha), etc. We were raised that these are bad, that fat is bad. It's the opposite... these are a good source of protein, calcium. And what we were taught... eat pasta, bread, juice, potatoes... all are heavy in carbs. Drinking a glass of orange juice has as much or more sugar than a soft drink.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box. :)

I'll take my fresh squeezed oj over soda any day!

Hugs,

Greg

I'll take my fresh squeezed oj over soda any day!

Hugs,

Greg

Ohhhhh.. I read your post wrong.. You said drinking 'over soda' ... I read it drinking over 'sofa' .... haha. my bad. But anyway, over a sofa works for me. I won't forget the ice cream for you. ... you bring the cream for me. :)

We've been told over the years, red wine is bad, now it's good, now it's bad. Coffee bad then good. Eggs bad then good..... and so on. The government food pyramid has been wrong for decades.

Here's an interesting article in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/no-food-is-healthy-not-even-kale/2016/01/15/4a5c2d24-ba52-11e5-829c-26ffb874a18d_story.html

Even though eggs have been rehabilitated, there are people whose genetics make them sensitive to dietary cholesterol, who should limit egg yolks.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to take away my 1) coffee, 2) pinot noir (when I'm drinking healthy or 3) gin & tonics. I've had people in my family with catastrophic illnesses and every one of them will place blame on stress for their deterioration more so than anything they drank. I do believe eating healthy and reasonable levels of exercise is valuable and not all that difficult. I believe excessive exercising as one gets older isn't a good thing.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to take away my 1) coffee, 2) pinot noir (when I'm drinking healthy or 3) gin & tonics. I've had people in my family with catastrophic illnesses and every one of them will place blame on stress for their deterioration more so than anything they drank. I do believe eating healthy and reasonable levels of exercise is valuable and not all that difficult. I believe excessive exercising as one gets older isn't a good thing.

The nice thing about eating healthy is you don't have to take away or stop anything. Balance what you eat and drink. If one day you have pasta and garlic bread for dinner, the next day meat, vegetables, salad, wine. Still eat well but less carbs that day. And never starve.

The nice thing about eating healthy is you don't have to take away or stop anything. Balance what you eat and drink. If one day you have pasta and garlic bread for dinner, the next day meat, vegetables, salad, wine. Still eat well but less carbs that day. And never starve.

I can't agree more. When you tried to deny yourself something you can end up craving it even more. You can eat that small creme brulee just don't do it more than once in a great while. I limit myself now to only eating bread that looks unique. I have eaten regular bread, I know what it tastes like I just want to experience something different . While load up on carbs that are the same old thing?

Tonights dinner is steak, sauteed onions, sweet potato tater tots, a mixed green salad with mixed berries, avacado, red onion and a lemon type dressing and q glass or two of red wine. I think it is pretty nutritious. I had to try to make this as diabetic friendly as I could since someone has issues.

Hugs,

Greg

Be physically active--even a 30 minute walk at moderate pace does wonders--and control your processed sugar intake. Want to sweeten your coffee or tea? Use stevia or agave nectar. Make your fats natural fats (saturated natural fats like coconut oil are fine IN MODERATION). Avoid margarine (it is actually only one molecule away from plastic). Put a filter on your sink and drink water...unless you live in Flint (lead) or DC (pharmaceuticals). Most important--move during your day.

I've had people in my family with catastrophic illnesses and every one of them will place blame on stress for their deterioration more so than anything they drank.

A new British study reports that even light drinking increases cancer risk - that there is no "safe" level of alcohol consumption.

Archived