The Front Runner

jackjackjack
This topic is 3068 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As I'm reading here about many wonderful books you folks read... and I haven't... it brought to mind a book that had a great impact on me in my youth... (sometimes the brain drops something buried deep in the mind to the front of thought.) Anyway, it's Patricia Nell Warren's book, The Front Runner. Published in 1974, which the New York Times, at the time, called it "the most moving, monumental love story ever written about gay life."

I remember this book. It was about a track star and his coach I believe. How did it impact your life? How old were you? I was not in a position to read it then. Was it good? Should I read it now!

I was in my early 20s. Even though there is still a struggle for gay rights and acceptance today, as you might remember, in the 70s it was still not nearly acceptable. The book was mainly about 2 gay people..... just regular everyday gay people and their lives. I think it was hard at the time to find examples in books of 'normal. (excuse the word)... lives of gay people. . Most books, movies, etc seemed to portray gays as depressed, all about sex and cruising, meeting in dark alleys and bars (oh yea , I did that too. :)) suicidal, just not happy ... always a negative connotation. This was just a positive book. It opened my eyes more that we're just like everyone else.

The other thing, silly as it may seem, I began my days and years of jogging and exercise. Anyway, just sharing... that's all.

I read most of it flying from SFO to HNL sitting in the last row crying my eyes out and the flight attendant supplying the Mai-Tai's!!!

Even back then, amazing how many of my straight friends read it. We are talking early 70's.

You're brave swallows22... ..but I was like you. Although I didn't want to admit it, I cried till there were no more tears.

Archived