De-Lovely

Will
This topic is 7079 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hooboys who remember Mabel Mercer may be as haunted as I was by DE-LOVELY. By "haunted" I don't necessarily mean something negative, although I mentioned Mabel Mercer in the first sentence because, even though Cole Porter himself regarded her as the consummate interpreter of his ballads, very little of Mercer's austere elegance is audible in the soundtrack. Only Diana Krall comes close, but no closer than Peggy Lee did.

Even so, other things about the movie were disturbing, but not unpleasantly. It's a much, much more serious film than I had anticipated, particularly in that it opens up and investigates, more than any other mainstream movie I can think of, the mystery of romantic love between two people whose sexual attraction for each other is hit-or-miss. (I've had relationships like Cole's and Linda's with other men, so I don't think it's solely a man/woman thing, or even a gay/straight/bi thing.) I dreamed about it last night, I think, and am still haunted by the film today.

I'm starting this thread only because I wonder if I'm alone in my reveries. (I've also checked the four most recent biographies of Cole Porter out of the library!)

Will,I saw this film on opening weekend(sold out 11 am on 4th of July weekend)I liked the movie-except formost of the musical numbers.The exceptions were the production number from anything goes,the number from kiss me kate-WHO WAS THE HUNK that sang this?,and Robbie Williams number.Hated the other performances-Allanis Morrisette should be hung for fucking up Begin the Beguine,I don;t know what song she THOUGHT she was singing-but it sure in the hell was not Begin The Beguine.

Loved Jonathan Pryces Number.

Reading a bio of Porter now,veddy,veddy gay.

Yes: exactly. So I'm not alone in thinking that Cole Porter himself would spin in his grave at all that swooping and belting.

I don't know who the KATE baritone was, but he looks better in profile than full-face!

Although I'm not an uncritical fan of International Style architecture, when it comes to singing Cole Porter songs, I agree with them that "less is more.":p

in the flash backs, i had hopes that "too darn hot" from kiss me kate would be shown with bob fosse; it's a high light of the movie for me. i got a kick out of the gay bar scene; sort of reminded me of the old numbers in la or even the townhouse in ny; not too many upscale places like that.

>By the way-Sinatra changed the way he sang the song to how

>Porter wanted it sung.

Yes, and his tutor was none other than the redoubtable Mabel Mercer!

>The Bio I am reading is by William McBrian.

Ditto. I'm not sure what I think of it, though, as it seems to be a string of facts with little viewpoint. However, because Georges Borchardt is his agent, he has to be a good writer. (Speaking of Georges Borchardt's clients, if you want a can't-put-it-down sexy read, try Francine duPlessix Gray's AT HOME WITH THE MARQUIS DE SADE. It's one of the most brilliant biographies I've ever read.)

• 4 months later...

I remembered seeing this post from the summer and remembered the poor responses by numerous posters of this film. What were you thinking? The director, screenwriter and cinematographer have each done excellent jobs. The songs and musical numbers performed by both the contemporary artists as well as the actors, actually relate to the story and progression of the movie. What a novel idea! Unfortunately not the case with "Chicago" to a great extent. Begin the Beguine as performed by Crow at a much slower, dirge-like pace, actually portends the fate soon to befall Cole and Laura's physical health. Kevin Kline's performance was masterful, a very good singer trying to sound much worse than he is able. The Love For Sale number in the gay club, as sung by Vivien Green was done in one continuous shot. Did everybody miss the lighting cues and costume changes that had to be performed while the cameras were turned away from the various actors to show the time progression? Kevin Kline and Vivien Green had three costume changes in the one shot. And the last number, Blow, Gabriel, Blow was not only a super finale but isn't this also something that a lot of us think about and certainly ask for? Along with that other number, Love For Sale? Hello. Rent the DVD and give this movie another chance.

I really believe that the slower tempo of the song in the film is perfect. Something awful would certainly be Mariah Carey screeching through the Star-Spangled Banner.

It was not so much the tempo,Dianna Krall does the same song at about the same tempo,it was just her "stylings"of the tune were ridiculous-she left the melody line several times,dropped lyrics-i just thought it was not the song that Porter wrote and was out of place in the period the scene is taking place in.And it was painful.

Guest zipperzone

>I will rent the film and suffer through it once more,but I

>just hated most of the musical numbers.That rendition of Begin

>The Beguin,besides being an insult to Porters genuis,was

>truely painful.

>But I guess it is a case of"a chaque son gout"my"gout"does not

>run that way.

Sorry big guy but I have to disagree with you here.

I thought Crow's rendition of Begin the Beguin was fantastic - the highlight of the soundtrack for me. I play it over and over and can't get enough of it. It is extremly haunting and the arranger did a masterful job. I did however, find several other of the songs a bit on the screechy side.

Archived