Your opinion sought regarding acting

actor61
This topic is 3048 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If one more person tells me how brave a straight actor is for playing a gay, transgender, transsexual, or bisexual character, I'm going to puke. I'm a gay actor and play straight characters all the time. Nobody ever says I'M brave! Holy shit, I'm sick of that attitude.

A straight friend of mine just saw "The Danish Girl" and went on and on about how "brave" Redmayne was to play the part. That's what started this line of thinking in me. I think Di Caprio's performance in "The Revenant" is brave - he endured really harsh, dangerous and difficult conditions during that shoot. Redmayne put on a dress and kissed Ben Whishaw.

God, I'm cranky about this!

If one more person tells me how brave a straight actor is for playing a gay, transgender, transsexual, or bisexual character, I'm going to puke...

I think the notion of a straight actor being "brave" for playing a gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, etc character is outdated. In fact, you could say something like this:

"I think we have moved beyond the days when an actor, gay or straight, is being "brave" when he plays someone of a sexual orientation other than his own."

I'm a gay actor and play straight characters all the time. Nobody ever says I'M brave!

I see your point. Here's a question: Do you think that, during your career, playing a straight character could have damaged your prospects of obtaining future roles? There was a time not long ago that a straight actor playing a gay character could have seen his career prospects dim. As I said above, those are bygone days.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the notion of a straight actor being "brave" for playing a gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, etc character is outdated. In fact, you could say something like this:

"I think we have moved beyond the days when an actor, gay or straight, is being "brave" when he plays someone of a sexual orientation other than his own."

I don't think they are totally gone or every gay actor who passes as straight right now would come out. Same for sports. Also if it's not such a big deal, then why is it still a semi big deal still when an actor, or athlete, comes out?

I agree that things are better. But are we at a gay/straight blind society? Not even close. We can still be fired in 29 (?32) states ( I saw 2 different numbers quoted-one may have to do with gender protections not strictly being gay or straight). We aren't even blind among ourselves. Look at the way many of us feel about effeminate gays. (By the way I'm not excepting myself in this.)

Gman

I don't think they are totally gone or every gay actor who passes as straight right now would come out. Same for sports. Also if it's not such a big deal, then why is it still a semi big deal still when an actor, or athlete, comes out?...

I think Hollywood/TV and sports are two different cultures. I also think a gay or lesbian actor coming out is very different than a heterosexual actor playing a character who is gay. When anyone comes out it is a big deal. Celebrities have a different situation than ordinary folks because they are in the public eye. Most of the guys I have worked with stated they made a much bigger deal about coming out than did their family and friends. When it becomes a big deal for others the cause is usually the familial/community religion or culture rather than society at large.

I agree that things are better. But are we at a gay/straight blind society? Not even close. We can still be fired in 29 (?32) states ( I saw 2 different numbers quoted-one may have to do with gender protections not strictly being gay or straight). ...

It is a mischaracterization to state we can be fired from jobs in "x" number of states. We can be fired from jobs in all 50 states, just like heterosexual people can be fired from jobs. In some states, sexual orientation is one of the factors that causes a person to be protected from discrimination in hiring, firing, and other workplace activities. That does not mean a gay person (or a woman, or a non-white person) cannot be fired.

Archived