Japan

oz_carter
This topic is 3034 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Okay, so I'm flying to Japan this weekend. Never been there before, sort of last minute, definitely unplanned and will be there on my own. I know of a few words and phrases as taught to me by my nephews.

Tokyo, Kyoto and Yokohama over 15 days.

Any tips?

Not planning on hiring.

First tip: don't spend a lot of time in Tokyo. There are many other places in Japan that are worth seeing, including Kyoto. Among my favorites for sightseeing are Nikko and Kurashiki. It is easy to get around the country quickly on the fast trains.

Tokyo always makes me feel I've arrived on the set of a Science Fiction movie. It has a very unique energy. I love going to see a Kabuki performance. I also love shopping in Japanese department stores. My favorite is Takashimaya in Kyoto.

You can go in to buy a few small gifts to take home and they give you extraordinary customer service.

In Kyoto there is so much to see, the Kinkakuji ( Golden Pavillion) is spectacular, Ryoan-ji ( famed for it's raked sand garden), Nijo Castle ( home of the Tokugawa Shoguns) feels oddly modern even though it's hundreds of years old. Remember, that to visit the Imperial Palace you have to apply to the Imperial Household Agency for a pass. This can be done at the Palace entrance at least 24 hours in advance, at a JTB office, or if your hotel has a concierge, they can arrange it. I love gardens, and my favorite is at the Shoren-in temple it is a small Temple near the much larger and more famous Chion-in. The gardens were designed and planted in the 14th century, and they are breathtaking in their simple natural beauty.

If you are going somewhere and want to take a cab, have someone at the hotel write the address down in Japanese. It will be very helpful if your driver does not speak English.

I love Japan. Have a wonderful trip.

have someone at the hotel write the address down in Japanese

This! My first visit to Tokyo I was actually surprised at how monolingual everything was for, at the time, the 2nd largest economy in the world. My business meetings were one thing - between the large ex-pat community and the younger generations, someone always spoke English -- yet there were some "old school" Japanese banks and government agencies where it was all Japanese. I took a translator with me for these meetings (a very cool young Japanese-American gal from SF who worked for me in our Tokyo office). But I did find outside the business circles, it was harder to find English speakers -- cabs definitely, but also shops and restaurants. Get a good map book too for wandering about Tokyo or Kyoto - while a stranger stopped to ask directions will invariably be polite, finding one who speaks English can be challenging. Japan is a strange, lovely and enjoyable place -- safe trip and have FUN!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys. I had a great time here in Japan! Now I'm wondering why in my 40 plus years (ehem!!) I've never visited this country until now.

Flying back to Sydney tomorrow so I'm making the most of my last day in Tokyo.

Many of my LJ friends have visited or lived in Japan, including the non-Asian girl from Australia who got into uni there to continue her Japanese studies, quit her job, rented out her apartment unit/condo, and moved to Tokyo last fall.

Archived