Check out West Hollywood

friendofsheila
This topic is 3062 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There isn't a map of San Diego. I found it interesting that the Chicago map refers to the gay and lesbian enclave of Andersonville as "Middle America's Rejects" and "Pho."

I'm sorry, but WEHO was home turf, and for some reason I found it offensive, but that's just me. Normally I see the humor, just not tonight.

I didn't see the humor in it, either.

There isn't a map of San Diego. I found it interesting that the Chicago map refers to the gay and lesbian enclave of Andersonville as "Middle America's Rejects" and "Pho."

Pho is on Argyle and part of Lawrence and California. Andersonville is becoming very gay with Hamburger Mary's, Replay, Borderline and a few more gay places.

Hugs,

Greg

Pho is on Argyle and part of Lawrence and California. ...

Got it. That makes sense. I'm working off a small laptop screen, so it looked like Pho was referring to Andersonville.

...Andersonville is becoming very gay with Hamburger Mary's, Replay, Borderline and a few more gay places.

Hugs,

Greg

I'd say Andersonville has been very gay for the last 20 years. That's what surprised me about the label "Middle America's Rejects."

Got it. That makes sense. I'm working off a small laptop screen, so it looked like Pho was referring to Andersonville.

I'd say Andersonville has been very gay for the last 20 years. That's what surprised me about the label "Middle America's Rejects."

I found that statement about Aville odd too. I've never gotten that feeling about the area. I like Aville and my friend who is looking to move out here from Den like the feel of the area too.

Hugs,

Greg

I found that statement about Aville odd too. I've never gotten that feeling about the area. I like Aville and my friend who is looking to move out here from Den like the feel of the area too.

Hugs,

Greg

One of my friends lived in Aville for years and then moved to Lake View when he moved in with a partner. He moved back to Aville as soon as they broke up and has been happy with the decision. He and his current partner live just east of the Beryn Red Line on Winthrop. In hindsight, they said they would have bought further west, where my friend had a condo before they bought this one. Nonetheless, the building is 100% LGBT and they love their neighbors.

Hugs,

Greg

I think the maps are about 10 years out of date. It feels like the map makers put down the stereotype of what it was like in the city a decade ago.

Greg, your right about Andersonville. it's the old New Boystown....but it's starting to get pricy and people can't afford it anymore. when I left Chicago 20 yrs ago everybody was leaving boys town on Halsted for Andersonville and wicker park. now my friends in Andersonville are starting to move so I guess there will be a new area soon.

It makes me wonder if the days of gay hoods are going to be a thing of the past for bigger cities. you see this in WeHo, San Francisco, San Diego etc where the gays don't seem to be living all in a central area anymore. is it because the days of the bars as the central focus has decreased? is it because the Internet and phones lets people connect in other ways? is it because we are more accepted now and don't feel we have to live in one hood to feel safe? is it because we have priced ourselves out of the areas?

I know this isn't true for all area, but it seems like there is a marked deterioration of gay hoods over the past decade. I wouldn't have even considered living in the "suburbs" 10 years ago but now I live in the "valley" which is for all intents and purposes a suburb. I only have a handful of friends that live in the Castro area now the rest have scattered theough out the City or to Oakland. same with my friends in San Diego. do any gay people live in Hillcreast anymore. I think the proior poster noted WeHo is only 40% gay now. This was a city that was created by gays and now we aren't even the majority.

I would be curious about cities like NY and places in the south like Atlanta or Dallas. Has this happened there also?

I think the maps are about 10 years out of date. It feels like the map makers put down the stereotype of what it was like in the city a decade ago.

Greg, your right about Andersonville. it's the old New Boystown....but it's starting to get pricy and people can't afford it anymore. when I left Chicago 20 yrs ago everybody was leaving boys town on halted for Andersonville and wicker park. now my friends in Andersonville are starting to move so I guess there will be a new area soon.

it makes me wonder if the days of gay hoods are going to be a thing of the past for bigger cities. you see this in WeHo, San Francisco, San Diego etc where the gays don't seem to be living all in a central area anymore. is it because the days of the bars as the central focus has decreased? is it because the Internet and phones lets people connect in other ways? is it because we are more accepted now and don't feel we have to live in one hood to feel safe? is it because we have priced ourselves out of the areas?

I know this isn't true for all area, but it seems like there is a marked deterioration of gay hoods over the past decade. I wouldn't have even considered living in the "suburbs" 10 years ago but now I live in the "valley" which is for all intents and purposes a suburb. I only have a handful of friends that live in the Castro area now the rest have scattered theough out the City or to Oakland. same with my friends in San Diego. do any gay people live in Hillcreast anymore. I think the proior poster noted WeHo is only 40% gay now. This was a city that was created by gays and now we aren't even the majority.

I would be curious about cities like NY and places in the south like Atlanta or Dallas. Has this happened there also?

I think it's a combo of all the above. We are more excepted now than we were in the 90's and past. Plus with technology and meetup groups many feel they don't need to live in the gayborhoods to be active or accepted. It's kind of a double edged sword. I live in Rogers Park and am quite happy with the hood. Lots of diversity, decent eats (could use more though) a couple gay bars and I'm almost equal distance to the Morse and Loyola redlines with the 147 that takes me downtown at the end of my block.

Hugs,

Greg

I think it's a combo of all the above. We are more excepted now than we were in the 90's and past. Plus with technology and meetup groups many feel they don't need to live in the gayborhoods to be active or accepted. It's kind of a double edged sword. I live in Rogers Park and am quite happy with the hood. Lots of diversity, decent eats (could use more though) a couple gay bars and I'm almost equal distance to the Morse and Loyola redlines with the 147 that takes me downtown at the end of my block.

Hugs,

Greg

I loved living in Rogers Park. I lived there for a couple years while I was at UIC and bartending in Boystown...it was a great neighborhood 20 years ago. i understand that wicker park is finally becoming a neighborhood people want to love in as well....its been the up and coming neighborhood for 30 something years now

I don't know about other cities but for for Chelsea in Manhattan and WeHo in LA the housing costs have ballooned. Sure it'd be great to live there but what do you have to sacrifice to afford your a tiny donut-box of an apartment?

All of the above plus natural progression.

A generation ago, all of the gay clubs in Chicago were down on Rush street during the speakeasy era. Gentry's downtown location was the last outpost of that era. As the city "cleaned up" those areas (think Stonewall-type raids) the gays moved to Lakeview which was, at the time, a run down slum and home to criminals and gangs. Gays moved in and did what we always do, redecorate. Over time, it became a neighborhood that was desirable to live in. So much so, the city commemorated "Boys town" as an official thing but the migration out of there was already under way at the time because it was getting expensive.

At that time, Wicker Park and Rogers Park were becoming "hot" redevelopment areas. Sounds like we're on the move again, and also like we can more or less live wherever the hell we want finally.

Let me know when we take over Oak Park. There's some really sweet Frank Lloyd Wright architecture out there. :)

I don't know about other cities but for for Chelsea in Manhattan and WeHo in LA the housing costs have ballooned. Sure it'd be great to live there but what do you have to sacrifice to afford your a tiny donut-box of an apartment?

Median home price for West Hollywood is $615,000. In Manhattan it's $972,000. Yikes.

I've lived in West Hollywood for most of the last 40 years, since before it was a city, and was considered an "unincorporated " area of Los Angeles County. So much has changed. Back in the 70s there were many more gay bars, all the east side bars (The Spike, The Eagle, the notorious Jaguar) are gone. There were Gay restaurants like The Carriage Trade, and The Garden District, also gone. Back in the day two guys on a date couldn't go to a restaurant and hold hands across the table, unless you went to a gay restaurant. The same with Gay Bars, in those days unless you were a tea room, or bush queen (habitués of public restrooms, or public parks), the only place you could meet was in a bar. There weren't runners clubs, cycling clubs, gyms where it was acceptable to chat up another guy. Now there are fewer bars, no gay restaurants ( with the exception of Cafe d'Etoile which soldiers on somehow), but we can go anywhere.

West Hollywood has become increasingly expensive to live in, but it was never cheap. My Sweetzer Ave. apartment (1 bedroom, no garage) was $600 a month in 1979 when $30,000 was a comfortable income. In Hollywood it would have been around $450 for the same kind of place. There persists this romantic idea ( especially among young gay guys) that WeHo was this cheap place for struggling young guys to get started. That might have been the case back in 40s, 50s, and 60s , but by the 70s it was no longer the case. It was a safer place because of the concentration of Gay businesses and residents, it was a very stylish and fun Ghetto, but a Ghetto nonetheless. It is less a Ghetto today, because our position in society has changed for the better. I still miss the "Boystown" of old, but I'm probably viewing it through rose colored glasses. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Archived