Creed with Michael B. Jordan & Sylvester Stallone

MrMiniver
This topic is 3059 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have long hated the ROCKY films. I have lamented for almost 40 years that ROCKY won the Best Picture Oscar over NETWORK and ALL THE PRESIDENT's MEN -- two of the seminal films of the Second Golden Age of American Film. So I went to see CREED, the new "Rocky" film for only two reasons: superficially, I like Michael B. Jordan (he's hot but he's also a good actor) and it's written and directed by Ryan Coogler who made FRUITVALE STATION, one of my favorite films of 2013.

A couple weeks ago, I laughed at loud at the stories going around that Stallone could be nominated for an Oscar for his role in this film. I was openly derisive. So here are some words I never thought would pass my lips: if I had to mark my ballot right now I would vote Sylvester Stallone for Best Supporting Actor. Okay, I've said it. He was that good. I thought it was a remarkably quiet and nuanced performance and not wanting to ruin it for anyone there are two scenes (one in a cematary when he's talking to a tombstone) and the very last scene that will bring tears to your eyes. I've never cared two bits about Stallone but he really moved me in this film.

I also think that the film is pretty darn terrific. Jordan continues his rise to stardom with this film. Not only does he have great presence (and the work he did on his physique is phenomenal) but he's a truly fine young actor. He's only going up.

Yes, the film has it's share of cliches (all boxing films do) and follows a pattern but it does it superbly. Great script (the first one not written by Stallone and that may be why the film is so good), great direction, great sequences. Highly, highly recommended.

Not the best movie of the year by a long shot, but I agree that Stallone is just wonderful, and should be in the running for an Oscar, or win one. I admit, though, that all I could think of during that slugfest was that both these guys would have CTE by the time they got back to the locker room. I guess I've been sensitized!

BTW, boxing head injuries and football head injuries are totally different. Boxers take several months off after a bout like that (not that boxing is good for your head), but football players go right back in the game and are subject to more concussions in a short span of time.

Archived