Downton Abbey Season 6

jgoo
This topic is 2935 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Don't tell me about what happens in the rest of the last season, please. I just want to let off a little steam. I have always hated what the writer's portrayal of did the Thomas character. The writers had an opportunity to introduce a gay character that was somehow affected by the generalized homophobia of the times without also making him mean, vindictive, and selfish. The writer could have allowed him to have some sort of relationship as the series progressed. These relationships did exist and in some cases were just overlooked if they remained "underground." Maybe this happens in the rest of Season 6 - I hope so. If you wanted to write broad characters, there was no reason that the writer could not have introduced two gay characters. One that did his job, was liked by some of the other servants, and eventually found a semblance of self-fulfillment and the other that is Thomas as he is written. As I said, I have not seen all of Season 6 so maybe that all comes to be.

I agree with your comments about Thomas. While I am not particuarly bothered by spoilers, I prefer them in a separate thread.

Unlike others, I will not be upset when DA ends. I am also glad I waited to watch on PBS.

I wonder if it were possible in the mod-1950s, if people in the U.K. would watch our most popular shows (I Love Lucy, Dragnet, Jackie Gleason, Gunsmoke) shortly after being shown here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't tell me about what happens in the rest of the last season, please. I just want to let off a little steam. I have always hated what the writer's portrayal of did the Thomas character. The writers had an opportunity to introduce a gay character that was somehow affected by the generalized homophobia of the times without also making him mean, vindictive, and selfish. The writer could have allowed him to have some sort of relationship as the series progressed. These relationships did exist and in some cases were just overlooked if they remained "underground." Maybe this happens in the rest of Season 6 - I hope so. If you wanted to write broad characters, there was no reason that the writer could not have introduced two gay characters. One that did his job, was liked by some of the other servants, and eventually found a semblance of self-fulfillment and the other that is Thomas as he is written. As I said, I have not seen all of Season 6 so maybe that all comes to be.

If you don't want to know about what happens on a show DON'T CLICK ON A SUBJECT HEADING that says DOWNTON ABBEY!

I agree with your comments about Thomas. While I am not particuarly bothered by spoilers, I prefer them in a separate thread.

Unlike others, I will not be upset when DA ends. I am also glad I waited to watch on PBS.

I wonder if it were possible in the mod-1950s, if people in the U.K. would watch our most popular shows (I Love Lucy, Dragnet, Jackie Gleason, Gunsmoke) shortly after being shown here.

It's NOT a spoiler to talk about a show that has aired more than 3 MONTHS AGO! The world doesn't revolve around the USA. The DVDs are already out.

I completely disagree about Thomas Barrow. It would have completely unrealistic to expect a servant in the house like that to have a boyfriend. Not in 1925. That would have been more common upstairs, than downstairs.

And why do you associate his being gay with being vindictive and mean? His fellow "meanie" was a straight woman. I also think that the character has grown considerably during the course of the show and that's been nice. And I think the happy ending that Uncle Julian devised for him was cleverly done and I thought appropriate!

It's NOT a spoiler to talk about a show that has aired more than 3 MONTHS AGO! The world doesn't revolve around the USA. The DVDs are already out.

Fine. Do what you want.

But, there are other people who post in this thread who deserve consideration. They have asked you not to reveal information about the final season.

I completely disagree about Thomas Barrow. It would have completely unrealistic to expect a servant in the house like that to have a boyfriend. Not in 1925. That would have been more common upstairs, than downstairs.

And why do you associate his being gay with being vindictive and mean? His fellow "meanie" was a straight woman. I also think that the character has grown considerably during the course of the show and that's been nice. And I think the happy ending that Uncle Julian devised for him was cleverly done and I thought appropriate!

Fellowes has stated that the character of Thomas is reflective of the pressure a gay man endured during that period in history.

http://www.queerty.com/julian-fellowes-on-downton-abbey-gay-butler-20130221

I agree with his assessment. Thomas has become a much more sympathetic character as the series has progressed. The audience knows his secret and how this motivates his actions. As Fellowes notes, the audience can forgive his behavior because we understand what he's up against.

I was under the assumption that Fellowes is gay or at least bisexual. A business colleague has contacts in the British entertainment industry and she told me he's gay. He been married for nearly thirty years, but as we all know that means very little these days. He's also a member of the House of Lords and active in the Conservative party.

PBS butchers the show by editing the episodes. So what you're seeing in the US starts and stops at different points rather than following the 8 episode progression seen in the UK. PBS sucks.

OMG! We can buy the entire series right now, I believe, from "Amazon UK" provided you have a "Universal" (region-free) DVD player if in the USA. I just bought one just to do this. I've seen the series about 5 times over in its entirety and am never bored.

I have a PAL DVD player, so I've been ordering each season from Amazon UK before they even air here. Just waiting breathlessly for the Christmas episode to arrive. I'm seriously going to miss it.

Good for you! I just ordered a "Universal" (Region Free) player just for this purpose, and pray that this is going to work I already just received the British DVD's from Amazon UK.

Good for you! I just ordered a "Universal" (Region Free) player just for this purpose, and pray that this is going to work I already just received the British DVD's from Amazon UK.

I just bought one also. But it was so I could order "Please Like Me" from Australia. Otherwise you can't get it because it is only offered as Region 2 and 4. Good that it applies in this instance also.

And what about Doc Martin? Any fans of that as well? It seems like forever since the last time it was on but I have heard there will be one final season of that as well...just not sure when.

I have enjoyed it as well, but sometimes it plods a bit.

So can we talk about episode 1? Or should that be in a different thread.

BTW, as glamorous as that life appears, it's probably far easier to be a wealthy person today than it was to be manage a household staff of twenty-five in 1916.

It must have been hard to stay in the closet or, for that matter, keep any kind of secret with so many people watching 24/7.

Mrs. Hughes wants her marriage to be platonic because she thinks her naked body might disappoint her future husband? Really?

Fine. Do what you want.

But, there are other people who post in this thread who deserve consideration. They have asked you not to reveal information about the final season.

That's completely ridiculous. People who moan about so-called "spoilers" weeks or months after something has been released are just being selfish. If you don't want to know something, stay off social media, retreat from the world. But don't expect not to find out what happens.

Fellowes has stated that the character of Thomas is reflective of the pressure a gay man endured during that period in history.

http://www.queerty.com/julian-fellowes-on-downton-abbey-gay-butler-20130221

I agree with his assessment. Thomas has become a much more sympathetic character as the series has progressed. The audience knows his secret and how this motivates his actions. As Fellowes notes, the audience can forgive his behavior because we understand what he's up against.

I was under the assumption that Fellowes is gay or at least bisexual. A business colleague has contacts in the British entertainment industry and she told me he's gay. He been married for nearly thirty years, but as we all know that means very little these days. He's also a member of the House of Lords and active in the Conservative party.

I know Julian Fellowes. I always assumed he was gay as well. My cousin is a relation of his wife. From everything I know, he is not gay. Far from it, from what I've seen and been told. But I think a lot of Americans think all Brits are gay. I think he comes across as somewhat effeminate, but as we all know that doesn't make you gay.

So can we talk about episode 1? Or should that be in a different thread.

BTW, as glamorous as that life appears, it's probably far easier to be a wealthy person today than it was to be manage a household staff of twenty-five in 1916.

It must have been hard to stay in the closet or, for that matter, keep any kind of secret with so many people watching 24/7.

Mrs. Hughes wants her marriage to be platonic because she thinks her naked body might disappoint her future husband? Really?

Mrs. Hughes doesn't want her marriage to be platonic, she just is unsure of what Mr. Carson's expectations are. I thought that sequence was quite lovely and beautifully handled.

What would have been hard back then would have been to keep up a certain standard. For both upstairs and downstairs. It's easier today because there are no standards. And more people are rich and, as my grandmother would have said, "they're all the wrong sort."

That's completely ridiculous. People who moan about so-called "spoilers" weeks or months after something has been released are just being selfish. If you don't want to know something, stay off social media, retreat from the world. But don't expect not to find out what happens.

I do not care about spoilers myself. But, this forum, like every other forum, is a community. Most people who have posted here for a long time know many of the other people, from hiring, living closeby or through the annual meetings in Palm Springs and Washington, or just from exchanging PMs.

People have asked you to stop posting about a show that is still running in the states. Enough said (or, more accurately, written).

I do not care about spoilers myself. But, this forum, like every other forum, is a community. Most people who have posted here for a long time know many of the other people, from hiring, living closeby or through the annual meetings in Palm Springs and Washington, or just from exchanging PMs.

People have asked you to stop posting about a show that is still running in the states. Enough said (or, more accurately, written).

First, no one has asked me any such thing. Second, they are more than free to do so. Third, don't click on the thread of the title of a show if you don't want to know what might happen in the future. Problem SOLVED. Period.

What would have been hard back then would have been to keep up a certain standard. For both upstairs and downstairs. It's easier today because there are no standards. And more people are rich and, as my grandmother would have said, "they're all the wrong sort."

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/b46d8b0d-9f9f-49eb-858b-4e6f2b8a0cc6/cf2ea47b-c963-47cf-a11c-0ccc07608855.jpg

Lordy...I'm Cora? How can I be Daria in the cartoon character thread and Cora in this thread? Does drinking wine or altitude make a difference? Had two glasses while on flight. I do like the idea of a tiara! :D

"You are Cora, Countess of Grantham. Sometimes you’re a little bit ditzy, sometimes you’re a little bit shallow, but this occasionally flighty exterior masks a heart of gold. You’d do absolutely anything for the people you love — whether it’s giving them advice, forgiving their mistakes, or helping them hide a body. You’re also surprisingly adaptable, and can handle anything the world throws at you. In short, you’re just really American, but in the best way possible."

You are Lady Mary Crawley. Some people might call you selfish or self-centered. You’d say that you just have firm opinions about what you want and how you want it (and when and in what color). You are surprisingly competitive, and you can’t stand taking second place to anyone, for any reason. Your darkest secret is that — despite all evidence to the contrary — you’re sort of a big softie underneath that frequently cold exterior, but since you probably only show that side of yourself to about two people, it’s unlikely to become public knowledge.

Crap. I got Lady Edith :(

*Hugs* Better you than me. :p

"You are Cora, Countess of Grantham. Sometimes you’re a little bit ditzy, sometimes you’re a little bit shallow, but this occasionally flighty exterior masks a heart of gold. You’d do absolutely anything for the people you love — whether it’s giving them advice, forgiving their mistakes, or helping them hide a body. You’re also surprisingly adaptable, and can handle anything the world throws at you. In short, you’re just really American, but in the best way possible."

You're totally Lady Grantham, TR. Heart of gold, attracts men of high birth. :D

Archived