Unemployment: wish me luck!

friendofsheila
This topic is 3120 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just remember that this is your money, not the government's. I dont know how old you are, but you have been paying into unemployment insurance from the first day you worked. Don't be ashamed; you are just getting what you deserve, now that you need some help. Don't let any one give you any shit or make you feel ashamed. I hope things turn around for you soon, brother. I have paid in every pay day for 60 years and never made a claim. I would be delighted to know that you are getting some help.

So much depends upon the state that you worked and lived in.

The biggest factor in determining your eligibility to collect is the reason for your termination. Was it a "RIF" (Reduction In Force)? Was it for non-performance or disciplinary reasons?

When you left your employer, did they say they would not contest your application for benefits?

You may not want to answer these questions in a public forum, but these will be the main determining factors in determination of your eligibility.

Just remember that this is your money, not the government's. I dont know how old you are, but you have been paying into unemployment insurance from the first day you worked. Don't be ashamed; you are just getting what you deserve, now that you need some help. Don't let any one give you any shit or make you feel ashamed. I hope things turn around for you soon, brother. I have paid in every pay day for 60 years and never made a claim. I would be delighted to know that you are getting some help.

It really isn't the employee's money. The employer typically pays all if not a portion. The unemployment premium the employer pays is based upon the number of claims.

I applied for unemployment insurance, my first time ever.

Any tips from anyone whose been this route before?

(I also have the eligibility phone interview this week.)

Yes, I have had to do that before. Let me know if you have any questions.

But with respect to a reply above, the way I understand it is like this:

Premiums are paid by employees. However, UI does not cost the State quite like we might think. Your previous employer actually pays for part of the money (not the premium) you receive twice a month. So, if you work(ed) for IBM, for as long as you remain unemployed IBM is paying the State a percentage of the money being paid to you twice a month.

I don't know what state you live in, or what state you worked in. In Massachusetts, where I live, the employee does not pay into the system. The employer pays into the insurance system. Also my former employer had many employees who lived in New Hampshire. New Hampshire's unemployment program sucked but because they worked in Massachusetts, they were subject to Massachusetts rules. I was "fired" after 17 years by my employer in Feb of this year. It was a the result of a long period of my being : abused, exploited, bullied, threatened. I finally refused to allow any more of it and I was illegally fired the next day. My former employer protested the award of the unemployment insurance. Over a period of 2 hearings, 15 hours total, with 5 members of management from my former employer testifying (and lying), I WON.

In Massachusetts you are required to look for work, sign up for training programs. These training programs are: how to use Linkin, how to write a cover letter, how to use networking, how to write a good resume, how to complete a good skills inventory of yourself, how to find a new position if you are of a certain age (me). All skills that can get rusty.

If your state has these types of programs, take advantage of them.

Good luck.

I'm sorry about your situation, FOS. I was told I was going to be dismissed in February of 2012, and left on my own--I call it "retirement"--in June of that year.

I'm unemployed, but on disability. One friend says I don't deserve it. Most of my other friends say that I paid into it, and since I can no longer perform the duties of my previous job, I'm entitled to it.

I like to go with the second idea. I'm in pain every day, and looking towards a fifth major surgery, but I keep my head held high.

Above and beyond the financial aspect, I hope this has not had a significant psychological injury to it.

It really isn't the employee's money. The employer typically pays all if not a portion. The unemployment premium the employer pays is based upon the number of claims.

very common misconception in my state as well - that employees pay. It's the employer that shoulders this responsibility.

As a self-employed individual, I took out a disability insurance policy (I know - it's different than Unemployment Insurance, but for self employed it's all we have). I paid premiums for over 25 years and I did become disabled and I'm so happy it was there for me.

Unfortunately, the great policies we had way back then are no longer available.

Sorry to hear this, FoS. I've been through this before and I've lived with people going through this.

Irrespective of the funding mechanism (in most states, it's dually funded, although it's true that the more claims, the more an employer pays in premiums going forward -- as it should), unemployment is something to which you are entitled if you meet the statutory requirements (generally, not being let go for gross misconduct or reasons within your control). Hang in there, answer any questions truthfully but proactively, and keep on top of whatever the requirements are.

As a self-employed individual, I took out a disability insurance policy (I know - it's different than Unemployment Insurance, but for self employed it's all we have). I paid premiums for over 25 years and I did become disabled and I'm so happy it was there for me.

Unfortunately, the great policies we had way back then are no longer available.

For the unknowing: Policies were written to be profession-specific. So, if you needed to walk for your job, and you lost a foot, you'd get disability, even though you were employable at a desk job. They stopped writing them about 20 years ago, as they tended to be abused.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. It looks like the questions tomorrow might only be about a worker's comp claim (I didn't get salary, just the doctor's visits covered), or maybe the fact that my last job was a 6-month contract.

I think my only question is (assuming I get awarded the help), whether just visiting the websites and looking over the job listings is sufficient to cover their "looking for work" requirement. It's not EVERY week I send in an application, so I wonder if this will.

I'll try asking at a "job center". They probably hear from a lot of people who do unemployment.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes. It looks like the questions tomorrow might only be about a worker's comp claim (I didn't get salary, just the doctor's visits covered), or maybe the fact that my last job was a 6-month contract.

I think my only question is (assuming I get awarded the help), whether just visiting the websites and looking over the job listings is sufficient to cover their "looking for work" requirement. It's not EVERY week I send in an application, so I wonder if this will.

I'll try asking at a "job center". They probably hear from a lot of people who do unemployment.

Archived