Obscure girl singers

friendofsheila
This topic is 2967 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Joni James, Julie London and Kitty Kallen are obscure now. Joni James was the first pop singer to record a live album at Carnegie Hall. It is still in print, but does not have the full version of Danny Boy. She is a bland singer, but not on the complete Danny Boy.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the information about Toni Harper. All of her CDs receive superb reviews. I am very impressed.

Peggy Lee is not an obscure girl singer. This week three of Peggy's concerts are available on Amazon. One was previously released on CD, but impossible to find. The second has never been released on CD, just LP.

The set all included a DVD of one of Lee's London concerts. I know very little about this third concert, but there's very little available of Lee in concert, except an Atlantic City concert, which is quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-London-Peggy-Lee/dp/B014GF41EU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450144547&sr=1-1&keywords=peggy+lee+live+in+london

The word "obscure" is a tricky qualifier. Just the other day, in another thread, there was a question of whether people in their 20s and 30s would know Doris Day or Carol Burnett or Lucille Ball. Imagine that ... not knowing LUCY!)

Anyway, since Nina Simone and Peggy Lee have been mentioned, I'm going to mention Keely Smith. Not exactly obscure ... just not as famous as she ought to be considering her terrific talent.

I first found out about Judy Henske in one of Andrew Vachss' Burke books. Burke is a tough revenger [not a word, but it does describe the character] of abused children and Henske is his music of choice.

I remember Judy Henske well from the 1960s. She is one of my favorites as well. Judy Garland must have trying for a younger audience because her other guests that night in November 1963 were Count Basie and Mel Torme. Sadly, Garland and Henske did not sing together (I have a DVD of that show).

I believe Joni James, Julie London and Kitty Kallen are obscure now. Joni James was the first pop singer to record a live album at Carnegie Hall. It is still in print, but does not have the full version of Danny Boy. She is a bland singer, but not on the complete Danny Boy.

None of them are obscure. To be obscure, the people participating in this thread would have to have NOT heard of them before. We've all heard of them.

None of them are obscure. To be obscure, the people participating in this thread would have to have NOT heard of them before. We've all heard of them.

This thread is open to everyone, not just the people who have posted. I agree that people under 40 years old may know Julie London, but very few would know Kitty and/or Joni.

Well, no... I've participated in the thread and hadn't heard of some of these singers before. Thanks to friendofsheila for starting the thread and prompting us to share.

Well, no... I've participated in the thread and hadn't heard of some of these singers before. Thanks to friendofsheila for starting the thread and prompting us to share.

As the kids say: "Word!"

This thread is open to everyone, not just the people who have posted. I agree that people under 40 years old may know Julie London, but very few would know Kitty and/or Joni.

As the old folks say: "Ditto!"

Archived