Obscure girl singers

friendofsheila
This topic is 2966 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kate Smith is not obscure, but is mostly know for introducing "God Bless America" during World War ll. Kate appeared on many TV shows. Here she is with Jack Paar singing "What Kind of Fool Am I?"

It's her second song in the video..

Interesting. I wonder if she could be as big a star today as she was on radio, given that she is nowhere near the "petite, pretty white woman" that pervades what is expected today.

Kate Smith had an afternoon TV version of her radio show through much of the 1950s. In the 1960s and early 1970s, Smith was a frequent guest on variety shows, especially Ed Sullivan. I think Kate Smith might have trouble today, despite her extraordinary singing voice.

Smith performed in concert occasionally. Only one was recorded, "Kate Smith at Carnegie Hall." It is a truly wonderful album. Available on Amazon, but the CD is expensive compared to tape and the 1963 record.

Interesting. I wonder if she could be as big a star today as she was on radio, given that she is nowhere near the "petite, pretty white woman" that pervades what is expected today.

I'm put in mind of Susan Boyle. She has carved out a nice career in spite of her size and looks. Not the norm perhaps, but still possible.

Also look at today's Kelly Clarkson and to some extent Adele (wonder what she would look like if she didn't have great hair?).

Kare Smith is still beloved in Philadelphia because she came here several time to sing "God Bless America" before important Philadelphia Flyer hockey game. Someone noticed the team almost always won when Smith's record of "God Bless America" was played before hockey games. For a very long time time, Philly had two show business statutes, Rocky and Kate Smith.

• 1 month later...

Kare Smith is still beloved in Philadelphia because she came here several time to sing "God Bless America" before important Philadelphia Flyer hockey game. Someone noticed the team almost always won when Smith's record of "God Bless America" was played before hockey games. For a very long time time, Philly had two show business statutes, Rocky and Kate Smith.

She looks too-damned-cool in them shades!

he looks too-damned-cool in them shades

Not sure if you are serious or not. Kate Smith asked Irving Berlin for a song to sing during World War ll. Berlin remembered a song he had written years before and gave it to Kate. Thus. "God Bless America."

Not sure if you are serious or not. Kate Smith asked Irving Berlin for a song to sing during World War ll. Berlin remembered a song he had written years before and gave it to Kate. Thus. "God Bless America."

Serious, yes. They look like that "cool" look that was popular about 10 years ago.

Archived