Allegiance

edjames
This topic is 3106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I caught a very early preview of this new musical last night.

This musical has been headed to Broadway for what seems like ages. It has it's creative roots back in 2009 when a chance meeting between George Takei and his husband were seated next to Jay Kuo and Lorenzo Thione at an Off-Broadway show and struck up a conversation about a mutual love of theater.. They met, again, the next night at a performance In The Heights and Jay and Lorenzo asked George why he was so moved by the show. George related his story of being interred in a Japanese-American confinement camp with his family during WW2 and thus began this show's story. 120.000 Japanese-Americans were incarcerated during this time.

Set in the 1940's Sam Kimura (Telly Leung) and his family are rounded up and sent to a camp for the duration of the war. The musical focused on the effects of the imprisonment on the lives of Japanese-Americans and in many ways the unjust discrimination and criminalization they faced. It's a brave story and very emotional, for the US, it's not a bright spot in our history.

Sam goes on to enlist in the US army and becomes a brave hero of the war fighting in Europe with a battalion of troops made up of Japanese Americans. His sister (Kei) remains in the camp and becomes involved with a radical fellow internee Frankie who tries to fight against the injustice of their confinement only to be met with brutality and imprisonment.

It's a moving show. Many were moved to tears at the end of the performance. It is dramatic and thought-provoking.

The music is very good and the stars, Lea Salonga and Telly Leung shine. George Takai plays the grandfather and his performance is very emotionally moving.

This is one to look out for. It may give Hamilton a run for it's money. Hopefully the box office be good enough to keep it running till award season. There are sure Toy noms here.

The show I saw was sold-out and the audience response was extremely positive. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the authors, Marc, and one of the producers before the show began. I will be curious to see what the critics have to say when it officially opens.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read a very positive review on Allegiance by Rex Reed. I thoroughly enjoyed this musical. A very talented cast headed up by Lea Salonga, George Takei, and Telly Leung. Some powerful numbers and many well sung duets. An informative and moving production.

I took in a Wednesday matinee. Tickets are at TKTS. Looked like a full house to me.

http://allegiancemusical.com/article/allegiance-broadway-review-ny-observer/

I also enjoyed the performance I saw very much. It's a wonderful tribute to the Japanese Americans who suffered so much during this sad period in American history. All the cast was terrific. Lea Salonga has barely aged a day since I first saw her in Miss Saigon. George Takei has come a long way from Star Trek. He's a gay role model we can all be proud of. I recommend the show.

From my second favorite theater critic (Michael Riedel is the first) Terry Teachout:

" ... It is, however, of no artistic value whatsoever, save as an object lesson in how to write a really bad Broadway musical. 'Allegiance' is peopled with characters made of solid cardboard. The Japanese-Americans are all noble and true, the Caucasians yawping apes save for a bosomy blonde nurse from Nebraska who -- stop press -- falls for an internee: 'when I stepped into this prison/Who knew what lay ahead?/I thought I'd face the enemy/But I fell in love instead.' Jay Kuo's songs sound like they were written with a Banal Broadway Ballad App. As for historical balance, don't make me giggle: Hiroshima gets the full production number treatment, while Japan's own wartime conduct is passed over in ostentatious silence (at least they remember Pearl Harbor!) ... but the show itself is a dud -- and a missed opportunity."

Archived