About To Get My First Smartphone......Advice?

azdr0710
This topic is 2962 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this is after the fact, but I had AT&T as a carrier all the way back to when it was Cellular One. Then the signal strength got so bad that I couldn't make calls from my house, and I live in a suburban area. They offered to give me a signal repeater to use on my DSL line, but that seemed kind of ridiculous.

All told, Verizon is sneaky on charges, but it works. Their land line sucked (when I had their DSL) so I dumped that for cable phone and cable internet. Because the town owns the cable system, we'll never have FIOS.

I actually dumped an unlimited data plan to have phone service.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BVB, it was a long time coming. A system upgrade named Marshmallow just came through for me from Samsung, which seems to have corrected the low-volume problem for me. I hope it works for you and others also. I really like the S6 Edge otherwise.

Thanks sync for the information. My main problem is reception. Does Marshmallow help with that or is it more to solve the low volume problem?

Thanks sync for the information. My main problem is reception. Does Marshmallow help with that or is it more to solve the low volume problem?

For me it seems to help with both. My provider is Verizon. I'm in New York and to test it I called my sister-in-law in South Carolina who always had problems hearing me and I her. This time our conversation was very clear both ways. I have fingers crossed that it continues.

For me it seems to help with both. My provider is Verizon. I'm in New York and to test it I called my sister-in-law in South Carolina who always had problems hearing me and I her. This time our conversation was very clear both ways. I have fingers crossed that it continues.

Muchas Gracias...

am getting good advice from friends, but wanted to ask here, too....

will probably go for Android over Apple....

Costco is having a (perennial??) "sale" on the Galaxy S6 thru Verizon...is that device now considered to be the good ol' reliable"Chevy/Ford" of the current crop of "devices"?.....I'm pretty sure I don't need a Cadillac phone as I'm sure a Chevy will more than wow me already with the current state of gee-whiz smartphones, right?...thinking Verizon because I'm told it's good in rural areas, in which I'm often located....all providers are apparently fine in urban areas....

or would you say stay the hell away from the "Wireless Center" kiosk at Costco?.....

is there any great, impartial, comprehensive "Smartphones 101"-type website that is pretty much a primer for learning smartphones and getting the most out of them?.....

I'm thinking I'll mostly use it as main personal phone (hoping to get my landline number transferred to it), travel resource (businesses, addresses, maps), regular texting (I have a circa 2004 flip-phone now for that), and whatever else golly-gee stuff I can use it for.....

thanks a lot

Get the Blue one - cause it is pretty - and blue is for boys!

Archived