To cut or not to cut?

imagooddog
This topic is 3067 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Interesting read...

Male Circumcision: What Would Jesus Do?

"On the eighth day of his life, before the Wise Men visited, Jesus was circumcised. What would he make of the debate raging today over male circumcision?

When we think of the birth of Jesus, we think of the traditional images of Christmas: the shepherds, the angels, the farm animals jostling to see the Christ child, the swift removal of his foreskin a week later.

No? Scratch that last part?

It’s true that the Christmas story is more babe in a manger than bris in the synagogue, but as a Jewish male infant Jesus was circumcised and, chronologically speaking, on the eighth day—and thus before the appearance of any wise men from the east. And yet somehow with all the food, presents, and Santa-fetishizing, the circumcision of Jesus doesn’t get a look in. But as debate about the ethics of circumcising children rages on, perhaps it really should."

The Circumcision is a holy day in the Roman, Anglican and Orthodox traditions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the arguments for circumcision. But something about watching an adult cut off a piece of a newborn's penis that makes me wince. Can you look at the photo below without cringing?

If I ever had to make that decision, I'd probably leave it up to my husband.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-2515674-19E9479700000578-573_634x450.jpg

And why is the boy wearing a dress? LOL

And why is the boy wearing a dress? LOL

It's a gown. It's probably loose fitting and enables the mohel to get to the tallywacker easily without the baby having to be naked and cold. But actually it's not extremely unusual for boy babies to wear something dress-like. Or at least it wasn't in the 1960's. For some reason my mother and I had a discussion on this long long ago. Maybe a child on a TV show was wearing one, and I asked about it. My Mom told me there were 'dresses' for boy infants-most likely newborns I'm thinking. She told me she had never liked them, and didn't ever put my brother or me in one.

Gman

It's a gown. It's probably loose fitting and enables the mohel to get to the tallywacker easily without the baby having to be naked and cold. But actually it's not extremely unusual for boy babies to wear something dress-like. Or at least it wasn't in the 1960's. For some reason my mother and I had a discussion on this long long ago. Maybe a child on a TV show was wearing one, and I asked about it. My Mom told me there were 'dresses' for boy infants-most likely newborns I'm thinking. She told me she had never liked them, and didn't ever put my brother or me in one.

Gman

Boys used to wear gowns until late toddlerhood, then graduate to short pants and then long pants. My father, who was born in Colorado in the 1920s, wore gowns until he was 4 or so.

I know I keep bringing East Asia up, but it's the best counterexample I know. While Japanese and Korean men have adopted Western dress, Japanese men still occasionally wear yukata (similar to a lightweight cotton print dressing gown or robe), especially at an onsen (hot springs spa), and traditional Korean dress for men is gown-like.

Also see: kilts. What's manly dress is what we think is manly. Anything can be manly if we perceive it to be so.

Plus it's another opportunity for me to post a totally gratuitous Kpop video of boy band Big Bang's leader, producer, and songwriter G. Dragon rocking a skirt. Don't laugh, guys. His annual income from songwriting royalties alone is $900,000 and the chicks dig him bigtime.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread discussion.

Boys used to wear gowns until late toddlerhood, then graduate to short pants and then long pants. My father, who was born in Colorado in the 1920s, wore gowns until he was 4 or so.

I actually knew about this already as being common in the 19th century. But I was thinking of more modern times-ie the 1940's on. Of course I think infants of both sexes still wear Christening Gowns in some religions.

Gman

Archived