Rentboy May Be Gone But We Won Another Marriage Victory!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 3198 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say again: if same-sex couples want to be as unhappy as opposite-sex couples, plus the legal fees and division of assets, go for it!

Marriage isn't for all of us just like it isn't for all straight people. But it is our right. I have to admit being envious for those of us for whom it is an option. It makes me a bit teary and melancholic. I'm glad people growing up now are less likely to grow up being ashamed of what they are.

Gman

I say again: if same-sex couples want to be as unhappy as opposite-sex couples, plus the legal fees and division of assets, go for it!

Many years ago, when Roseanne Barr had a hit show on TV, she said "Why shouldn't gays get married? They deserve to be as miserable as the rest of us!"

My milk of human kindness has gone sour. I hope they jail her.

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/styles/ratio--3-2--1_5x-768x512/public/ap_667677366636.jpg?itok=87OrzrYj

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis, left, listens as Casey County Clerk Casey Davis speaks to a group of supporters during a rally at the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort Ky., Saturday, Aug. 22, 2015.

Photo by Timothy D. Easley/AP

Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marriage case

08/31/15 04:48 PM—UPDATED 08/31/15 07:51 PM

2 share 125

By Associated Press

MOREHEAD, Kentucky – The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against the Kentucky county clerk who has refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses, and the clerk will arrive at work Tuesday morning to face her moment of truth.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis will have to choose whether to issue marriage licenses, defying her Christian conviction, or continue to refuse them, defying a federal judge who could pummel her with fines or order that she be hauled off to jail.

“She’s going to have to think and pray about her decision overnight. She certainly understands the consequences either way,” Mat Staver, founder of the law firm representing Davis, said on Monday, hours before a court-ordered delay in the case expired. “She’ll report to work tomorrow, and face whatever she has to face.”

RELATED: Gay couples still can’t marry in Rowan County, Kentucky

A line of couples, turned away by her office again and again in the two months since the U.S. Supreme Court legalized gay marriage across the nation, plan to meet her at the courthouse door.

Davis stopped issuing all marriage licenses in the days after the landmark decision. Two gay couples and two straight couples sued her, arguing that she must fulfill her duties as an elected official despite her personal religious faith. A federal judge ordered her to issue the licenses, and an appeals court upheld that decision. Her lawyers with the Liberty Counsel filed a last-ditch appeal to the Supreme Court on Friday, asking that they grant her “asylum for her conscience.”

Justice Elena Kagan, who oversees the 6th district, referred Davis’ request to the full court, which denied the stay without comment. Kagan joined the majority in June when the court legalized gay marriage across the nation.

Meanwhile, a couple that had been turned away went to Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins to ask that she be charged with official misconduct, a misdemeanor defined by state law as a public official who “refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent in the nature of his office.” The crime is punishable by up to a year in jail.

Watkins cited a conflict of interest and forwarded the complaint to Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, whose office will decide whether to appoint a special prosecutor, generally a county attorney from a surrounding jurisdiction, who would decide whether to file charges.

As the clock wound down for Davis on Monday, the tension intensified between dueling groups of protesters outside her office window on the courthouse lawn.

Hexie Mefford has stood on the lawn waving a flag nearly every day for more than two months. The flag is fashioned after Old Glory, but with a rainbow instead of the red and white bars.

Mike Reynolds, a Christian protesting in Davis’ defense, shouted at her that he found the flag offensive: He is an Army veteran, he complained, and they had desecrated the American flag. The two groups roared at each other. The Christians called on the activists to repent; the activists countered that their God loves all.

It was a marked difference from the cordial protests that unfolded there every day since Davis declared she would issue no licenses.

Rachelle Bombe has sat there every day, wearing rainbow colors and carrying signs that demand marriage equality. One particularly hot day, Davis, the woman she was there to protest against, worried Bombe would get overheated and offered her a cold drink. In turn, Bombe said she’s checked in on Davis, whose lawyer says she’s received death threats and hate mail, to make sure she’s holding up despite the difficult circumstances.

“She’s a very nice lady, I like her a lot,” Bombe said of Davis. “We’re on the opposite sides of this, but it’s not personal.”

On Monday, the Christians stood on the grass and sang “I am a Child of God.”

The marriage equality activists chimed in after each refrain: “So are we.”

Gman

Despite herself, possibly, Davis is helping create one of these diagrammatic lessons in practice and theory of civics that, when they get this kind of press visibility, are absorbed to great good effect by the young people (speaking as an alta caca I can use that term) I know personally today.

Davis is helping create one of these diagrammatic lessons

So we should thank her?o_O

(speaking as an alta caca I can use that term)

I don't think you are an alta caca-it's a false impression from that white wig in your avatar.:rolleyes:

Gman

PS 'alter kocker' might be a better spelling.:D

Despite herself, possibly, Davis is helping create one of these diagrammatic lessons in practice and theory of civics that, when they get this kind of press visibility, are absorbed to great good effect by the young people (speaking as an alta caca I can use that term) I know personally today.

Quite right. THIS alta caca well remembers being confused why the nice orange juice lady was being such a mean old biddy.

Today's kids will remember this, if they hear of it.

Quite right. THIS alta caca well remembers being confused why the nice orange juice lady was being such a mean old biddy.

Today's kids will remember this, if they hear of it.

deej, it would be 'Alter Kocker' unless you are female. But why was the OJ Lady a mean old biddy?

Gman

Now it really gets interesting. We will soon get to see if she is just another whore or a true "principled Christian". She can resign her $80,000+ a year job, which she obviously wants to keep as that is damn good money in Kentucky, and be faithful to her beliefs OR she can start signing the licenses, keep the money and thus become a common everyday whore. She might also defy the judge, attempt to keep her job and continue to refuse to sign the licenses. If she takes that path I would love to see the judge throw her in jail for contempt of court until she either resigns or begins signing licenses.

Now it really gets interesting. We will soon get to see if she is just another whore or a true "principled Christian". She can resign her $80,000+ a year job, which she obviously wants to keep as that is damn good money in Kentucky, and be faithful to her beliefs OR she can start signing the licenses, keep the money and thus become a common everyday whore. She might also defy the judge, attempt to keep her job and continue to refuse to sign the licenses. If she takes that path I would love to see the judge throw her in jail for contempt of court until she either resigns or begins signing licenses.

We also have to remember. The 6th Circuit didn't rule on the issue of her being able to refuse handing out marriage licenses. They only rejected her application for a stay of the trial court's orders. It might barely be possible the 6th Court could rule for her. And even if they rule against her, she could still try to take the case to SCOTUS. So no matter what happens tomorrow. It's not over. And of course we don't know what kind of objections and obfuscations Casey Davis in Davis Co. Kentucky is going to do now as he has claimed he will die before issuing a same sex marriage license. I'm surprised he hasn't been sued yet. But maybe no one in his county wants to get married. And I read in an article that there is at least one other -possibly two other clerks who while they may not have flouted the law yet-plan to if asked to issue a license to a same sex couple.

Frankly I could very easily see her trying to call in sick Tuesday. She didn't even open up the office last Saturday when it was supposed to be open. So the questions are what will Judge Bunning do to either her, or if she doesn't show up, to the subordinate clerks in the office. Another question is what will he do if they try to keep the office closed on Tuesday?

Does anyone think the 6th Circuit Court Of Appeals envisioned that their rejection of Obergefell would lead to the case being accepted by SCOTUS-or that if it was accepted by SCOTUS, that SCOTUS would find for the plaintiffs leading to legalization of same sex marriage nationwide?

What do our lawyers think?

Gman

So far-September 1st as of 8:17 AM Eastern Time she is in her office and refused to issue licenses.

No marriage licenses at Kentucky clerk's office despite court ruling

Posted: Sep 01, 2015 5:17 AM PDTUpdated: Sep 01, 2015 5:17 AM PDT

MOREHEAD, Ky. (AP) -

A defiant county clerk in Kentucky has again refused to issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples despite a ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court.

On Tuesday morning, as Rowan County clerk Kim Davis' office opened, two couples were denied licenses.

A deputy clerk told April Miller and Karen Roberts, who walked into the office trailed by dozens of television cameras, that no licenses would be issued and refused to make Davis available.

A second couple, David Moore and David Ermold, rejected a fourth time, are demanding to speak with Davis.

Ermold shouted: "Tell her to come out and face the people she's discriminating against."

Davis is in her office, with the door and the blinds closed.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday declined to intervene in the case, leaving Davis no legal grounds to refuse to grant licenses to gay couples. A district judge could now hold her in contempt, which can carry steep fines or jail time.

Gman

Its getting ridiculous that this person is allowed to continue to ignore Federal court rulings. I can imagine if any of us did the same we'd have been eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in jail some time ago. At the same time, I wonder if those pushing Davis are giving her any face saving ways to back down since she has been so aggressive in her resistance. I'd enjoy seeing a Federal judge giving her no more than a few minutes to comply or be jailed.

Its getting ridiculous that this person is allowed to continue to ignore Federal court rulings. I can imagine if any of us did the same we'd have been eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in jail some time ago. At the same time, I wonder if those pushing Davis are giving her any face saving ways to back down since she has been so aggressive in her resistance. I'd enjoy seeing a Federal judge giving her no more than a few minutes to comply or be jailed.

Who cares about saving her face? Judge Bunning needs to jail her. The county needs to suspend her salary for not fulfilling the duties of her office. Once that's done Judge Bunning needs to order whatever alternative methods are available for the clerk's office to issue licenses when the clerk is not available. If the office still won't comply, he needs to jail the lot of them.

Although if it's possible for her 'seal' of approval to be used while she is in jail-maybe that's the face saver. She can claim it was done without her permission.

Gman

The town her office is located in is "Morehead". Ironic.

Her office denied a marriage license to a gay couple already this morning - Tuesday. Send the US Marshals to her office and throw her and anyone else in her office that can, but doesn't, issue a license to a same sex couple in jail. I think the one thing she can do, and yet it would be dumb for county officials to allow her, is to stop issuing licenses to any couple so she isn't discriminating.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes a Federal judge to put an end to this garbage. Its gone on for too long already.

Archived