A SAD DAY TODAY, 53 YEARS AGO

Tonyko
This topic is 3218 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is really interesting is that my today's standards she would be considered to heavy. This is really well illustrated in the film Some Like It Hot. We are into the skin and bones look. A woman is considered to have an excellent figure if she is built like a twelve year old boy, ie most successful models.

I recall seeing the movie Some Like it Hot when I was a kid and she made quite an impression on me. As such, even though I was only 11 in 1962 I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news of her death.

Great photo! Lovable lips!

What is really interesting is that my today's standards she would be considered to heavy. This is really well illustrated in the film Some Like It Hot. We are into the skin and bones look. A woman is considered to have an excellent figure if she is built like a twelve year old boy, ie most successful models.

Billy Wilder said the studio fought him hard re his decision to shoot it B&W. Only Dramas were still doing that comedies were almost all in color by 1959. But she was at her heaviest then, and he felt she would photograph thinner in B&W. Ironic that, based on the footage from her last uncompleted film Somethin's Gotta Give the remake of Cary Grant's My Favorite Wife, she NEVER looked better. Thin yet still buxom, she looked GREAT.

I recall seeing the movie Some Like it Hot when I was a kid and she made quite an impression on me. As such, even though I was only 11 in 1962 I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news of her death.

Great photo! Lovable lips!

SOMEwhere I have some COLOR candid stills during the shooting of that film, NOW I want to find lol. Wilder was right she photographed thinner in B&W BUT I think she looked great either way ;)

FOUND IT.

http://s30.postimg.org/se2xlkfxt/SOME_LIKLE_IT_HOT.jpg

Beautiful photograph of a stunning woman. If Mad Men's depiction is accurate, women of the time felt very close to her and were very upset when she died.

I remember when she died and my grandmother (in her 70's) was extremely upset.

Singing Happy Birthday Mr. President was fabulous!

Dead at only 36 - what a full life and a life full of heartbreak.

I remember when she died and my grandmother (in her 70's) was extremely upset.

Singing Happy Birthday Mr. President was fabulous!

Dead at only 36 - what a full life and a life full of heartbreak.

Yes, so unfair that ppl like her with such AWFUL unloved childhoods who want nothing MORE than to have one of their own to shower with all they never got themselves, can never seem to have one. Think there's only two miscarriages on RECORD, but there were probably more. :(

I vividly recalled as a kid that Some Like it Hot took place at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego. The structure always fascinated me from the first time that I saw it, which was in that film. (I was a frustrated architect.) So much so that when I first got to San Diego some thirty odd years later I had to check the place out. It was already dated in the 1950's and even more so by the time that I got there.

Interestingly, the cross dressing in the film made no impression on me whatsoever as being part of my sexuality. The same holds true to this very day.

Still, what a life and it only lasted 36 years!

My bad IF the article SAYS all this but in the most RECENT "The Final Hours Of.." the TV show where todays top coroner goes thru the final days - activities, meds they took etc- and autopsy reports of famous ppl to determine what TRULY happened, they said she had visited the surgeon fairly close to when she died because she was told the chin implant was degenerating and would need to be replaced. Believe thats what this Xray is from.

Good work FF, that's something I had never heard about.

Now all we need is the answer to the biggest mystery about Marilyn for the last 53 yrs, was it suicide or murder?

~ Boomer ~

Ohhh, the poor thing simply over-medicated herself :( I've read EVERYTHING. It was really NOT too different than what happened to Heath Ledger. And had it been TODAY with the advances in forensic toxicology, there'd probably BE no conspiritorial controversy, just as there's none with him. Marilyn was taking (sic) nembutol AND taking an archaic 19th century powerful mega- sedative Chloral hydrate, the same one that helped kill Anna Nicole S. It's usually prescribed by the TEA spoon, and both women took multiple SWIGS throughout their final day. TODAY coroners feel THAT combo, the supression of the breathing and the perhaps, forgetting how many nembutols she'd already taken, is what killed Marilyn. What's INTERESTING is that EVEN IN 1962 the med community said NO WAY should ANY physician prescribe BOTH these drugs to a patient. And in the days following her death, Marilyn's physician who'd prescribed the nembutol SWORE when questioned that he NEVER prescibed Chloral hydrate for her. Yet, what surfaces decades later, and was ALSO one of the things up for auction?? Several of her prescriptions (hard paper copies ala white pad) long buried somewhere . And THERE they find one for Chloral hydrate from that same (now deceased) physician, written the last week of JULY 62 two weeks before she died.

*and anyone who says she was depressed re being fired her career over, NAH. Fox, after firing her, woke up to the fact that she was their BIGGEST money maker, and that by firing her they had breached her contract. Not only had they just hired her BACK, they were forced to give her a NEW contract with a SHITLOAD more money AND her all of her demands ie script/co-star/director approval things she'd wanted for years ;)

The article says that the seller of the X-rays is unidentified but it is Norman Leaf, M.D. who was Dr. Gurdin's partner.

I think the selling of those X-rays is in very poor taste and should, in some way, shape or form, be a violation of privacy even tho she is dead. It's just bad form.

*and anyone who says she was depressed re being fired her career over, NAH. Fox, after firing her, woke up to the fact that she was their BIGGEST money maker, and that by firing her they had breached her contract. Not only had they just hired her BACK, they were forced to give her a NEW contract with a SHITLOAD more money AND her all of her demands ie script/co-star/director approval things she'd wanted for years ;)

Very interesting. I always thought she was depressed about being dumped/cheated on by Bobby.

Tonyko doesn't seem to think that the relationship between MM and the Kennedy brothers was what has fueled the controversy over her death for all those years.:rolleyes:

~ Boomer ~

Well I DO think this DEF was a "germ" in fueling the conspiracy "theories" because there are indisputable facts, and all conspiracy theories are born from some kernel of truth. She DID sleep with JFK (some believe it was actually only ONE TIME at his sister's beach house (Lawfords wife) and that it was in reality just a one time thing for Kennedy that Marilyn put more weight on and he WAS probably sorry he started it. And her phone calls TO the White House switch board ARE a matter of record they were logged, the majority NOT being put through. (his inner circle even said he was a little embarrassed and put-off by her Happy Birthday performance) I think everything just grew from there, from the tamer reports that Bobby visited her that day she died (even thou many saw him 600 hundred miles away where he said he was with his family) and that there was a violent arguement before he left. And a police officer who claims he stopped a speeding car in Los Angeles earlier that evening that held actor Peter Lawford and the Attorney General. TO the way far out actual "they murdered her" theories. But I think all that is crazy. I would NOT be surprised however, if in fact Kennedy DID have his brother in law Peter do a sweep of her house the night she died to remove any journals she may have mentioned him in, but THAT'S about it. And as said I also think the suicide theory over this relationship is also crazy. She'd been dumped by BOTH men she loved and MARRIED, and lived through it.

I didn't find Some Like It Hot as uproariously funny as I'd been led to believe until the last 15 minutes or so. But Monroe was great in it.

One item of note: the very end of the movie saw Jack Lemmon's character's paramour agreeing, in essence, to a same-sex marriage. With all the cross-dressing, no one noticed?

I didn't find Some Like It Hot as uproariously funny as I'd been led to believe until the last 15 minutes or so. But Monroe was great in it.

One item of note: the very end of the movie saw Jack Lemmon's character's paramour agreeing, in essence, to a same-sex marriage. With all the cross-dressing, no one noticed?

THAT believe it or not was just a PLACEHOLDER in the script, according to Billy Wilder. It was a crazy last line he came up with as a joke and left it just to have something there until they could think of a REAL last line. Right up until shooting they "believed" the perfect last line would come to them, but it didn't. So that's what they went with, this big sort of question mark last line that leaves us wondering exactly WHAT the old guy means lol.

* the best story re how invaluable Billy Wilder felt Marilyn was hence how many allowances he made for her, was when Lemon and Curtis, miserably uncomfortable in that 20's drag and make-up, complained bitterly about WAITING AND WAITING sometimes for hours for her to start work. The thick accented Wilder said: "I got an Aunt in Poland never been late a day in her life, we can get her". o_O

FOUND another great candid during the filming :) (Change out his shoes and it looks SO contemp no?? I think she looks GREAT)

http://s3.postimg.org/jtx2ahg2r/SOME_LIKE_IT_HOT2.jpg

Many many thanks Tonyko for this thread and the accompanying photos...it was just a wonderful read.

Archived