Be a Dick or Be an Altruist? You Choose

quoththeraven
This topic is 3243 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ran across this on Twitter. It's an example of game theory, and more specifically the prisoner's dilemma, in action.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/dont-be-greedy?bftw&utm_term=4ldqpfp#.tbZAEwGGr

Long story short, University of Maryland psychology lecturer Dylan Selterman has included the following extra credit opportunity since 2008. Only one class has ever received the extra credit.

"Select whether you want 2 points or 6 points added onto your final paper grade. But there's a small catch: If more than 10% of the class selects 6 points, then no one gets any points."

The question went viral when a student tweeted a screenshot of the exam. That student chose two points, but many people on Twitter told him he should have chosen six. As it is, more than 10% of the students chose six points, meaning no one got any points.

Buzzfeed says, "Essentially, the exercise is a hands-on way to see what happens when individuals ignore what’s best for a group and selfishly act in their own best interest, and to show how outcomes depend on the actions of others."

Personally, I think choosing six points is a fool's move. They're giving up a 100% chance of extra points if everyone or nearly everyone opts for 2 points for an uncertain chance at four more points that may well topple the enterprise over to no points for anyone. In essence, those who choose six points are trying to maximize an advantage that may not be that meaningful anyway at the expense of other people, even, possibly, themselves. What's six points in the ether when you can have two points for sure?

Well from the point of view of the group, picking two points is only relevant if the course is not being graded on a curve. Clearly, if the course is graded on a curve, it is not in one's own interest to opt for 2 points when others would be getting 6 and everyone was getting at least 2. In fact, under that scenario, only the selfish people who opted for 6 would benefit. This is the model for the US economy.

Now if the course is being graded by total result, opting for 2 or 6 has a variety of implications. For the whole group, it would seem that grabbing the 2 points, the sure thing would be better, but in that case you are devaluing your grade, as the grades will skew higher and your grade may not change (You may have gotten a C with or without the two points but others would have higher grades). If you were going to get an A anyway, your grade is devalued by the extension of that grade to those who did lesser work. This is the grading on the curve method at many schools, a C is a B and and B is an A. Also, the everybody gets a trophy mentality of many childhood activities these days.

To me, the best option is to take the option for 6. Encourage everyone else to do so as well and then just accept the results without the boost.

Earn what you get and get what you earn. I do not think I am being a dick about it. I would only be a dick if I opted for 6 and encouraged others to vote for 2.

Well from the point of view of the group, picking two points is only relevant if the course is not being graded on a curve. Clearly, if the course is graded on a curve, it is not in one's own interest to opt for 2 points when others would be getting 6 and everyone was getting at least 2. In fact, under that scenario, only the selfish people who opted for 6 would benefit. This is the model for the US economy.

Now if the course is being graded by total result, opting for 2 or 6 has a variety of implications. For the whole group, it would seem that grabbing the 2 points, the sure thing would be better, but in that case you are devaluing your grade, as the grades will skew higher and your grade may not change (You may have gotten a C with or without the two points but others would have higher grades). If you were going to get an A anyway, your grade is devalued by the extension of that grade to those who did lesser work. This is the grading on the curve method at many schools, a C is a B and and B is an A. Also, the everybody gets a trophy mentality of many childhood activities these days.

To me, the best option is to take the option for 6. Encourage everyone else to do so as well and then just accept the results without the boost.

Earn what you get and get what you earn. I do not think I am being a dick about it. I would only be a dick if I opted for 6 and encouraged others to vote for 2.

Now one could argue that by voting for 2 and hoping that each member would get 2, allows for those on the border to pass and helps the more needy. I would make the argument that the needy are the ones most likely to opt for the 6 as they are the ones for whom the 6 may make the largest differnce. (How many lottery tickets do you think Bill Gates buys?)

In fact, there will those who opted for 6 who may pass while, the more selfless or more confident that voted for 2 may fail. Thereby, the option to take the 2 may benefit the undeserving selfish group the most. If that is your goal, opt that way. But it seems to me, the prudent and ethical option is to opt for 6, encourage others to do so, such that each one gets 0 which is what they earned. If by some miracle, the option for 2 is the one chosen, the altruist could then refuse the 6 points and accept his true grade, refusing to accept the help he voted to deny others.

Sounds too chancy for me. Personally, I've always believed in earning my grades the old-fashioned way. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4c0e9cf77f8b9a3b466d0000/cheating-vs-learning.jpg

Sounds too chancy for me. Personally, I've always believed in earning my grades the old-fashioned way. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4c0e9cf77f8b9a3b466d0000/cheating-vs-learning.jpg

So...were you the dude in the front or the back? ;)

Pun intended. :)

T

Archived